Halloween Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am an Australian who is
very much addicted to Halloween - have been celebrating for 4 years now and every year gets better and bigger. Often look at American sites for ideas and want to thank all you people who share your creativity and ideas.
Love it but unfortunately its hot when we celebrate over here and stays light till 8 ish so creates a few problems to make things creepy.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Welcome WoW. I am mad about Halloween too, but we have a similar problem here Stateside in Florida. Even in late October here it's hot and sticky and the sun's still up until about 7pm. Right NOW would make ideal Halloween season here, truth told. Do the kids trick-or-treat there, or do you just decorate and/or have more adult parties?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi from another Aussie. Yep, most of the kids have been and gone before it's dark :(
I get around that a bit, by enclosing my portico in dark curtains, and the 'archway' in front of the garage in black builders plastic.

@Tasty Brains yes, in some area the kids do dress up and trick-or-treat (but mostly just want the treats :rolleyes: ) Where I live it's mostly cul-de-sacs and dead end streets so it's fairly safe for kids to wander the streets looking for treats. I had over 120 ToTs visit last year.

@Witches of Weston one of the other issues is, us Aussies don't get many Halloween props in shops, and shipping costs from USA is expensive. If you're not aware of him already David (in QLD) sells a few bits of electronics for Halloween props https://www.da-share.com/shop/

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep block in my carport and porch to make it dark and spooky. Halloween is only just catching on in my area and most parents get to know what houses celebrate and drive the kids around. Thanks to face book last halloween i got about 300 kids . Is this the normal amount in America?
Anyway now i have a reputation of being the Halloween house so each year i need to create new Themes. Usually start planning about now cause so much has to be shipped from USA. I sometimes feel i am single handily keeping the American economy afloat.
I try to make as much as possible and of cause pinch a lot of the ideas from you guys.
Even so
products needed to make stuff can be difficult to find. Talk about feeling like the poor cousin livin down under! Made some monster mud to make a spooky tree / messy but good. This year im going dragons / any ideas please send my way.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Wow! You guys get upwards of 3x-to-5x the ToT's we've seen the past two years since moving in to the new place here. I'm jealous! We've only been averaging about 30-40 kids thus far. Frankly, compared to some neighborhoods, that's not bad. Some places in town are known destinations and attract the kinds of crowds you guys get, but in general, most neighborhoods don't see those kind of numbers. Alot's changed over the decades Stateside. For one, it's become more of an adult holiday. Also, many parents are more comfortable bringing the kids to church "harvest" festivals and "Trunk-`r-Treat" events rather than the traditional walks through the streets at night, mainly for safeties' sake. Since it's relatively new there Down Under, do the kids wear costumes, or do they just show up in street clothes?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most kids make an effort to dress up. Because not a lot of homes decorate the few that do get known. If the day is cool and overcast the adults also make the effort to dress up. I love seeing the hand made costumes. We have a Canadian guy nearby (known by the kids as "the American") who gets about 800 kids. He's my nemesis!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Homemade costumes are the best! As a kid in Maryland in the early 70's we'd often just throw together whatever we could find. Very much looking forward to photos from your event when October rolls around. :cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info. I have
found a couple of Victorian companies that sell props and they do afterpay / if you want the names let me know.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have
found a couple of Victorian companies that sell props and they do afterpay / if you want the names let me know.
I'd be interested to know.
Also Costco sell some good props, I've been informed, but not until a few weeks before Halloween.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Tasty brains whats trunk - r - treat?
I'm not really sure myself, but I think it's the Halloween equivalent of a tailgate party. Only instead of being outside of a sports stadium, it'll be held at a church or mall parking lot. From what a gal at work told me, the kids just go car-to-car, getting treats. If you ask me, it sounds lame-as-heck compared to actually going to houses, but it probably IS safer than the wandering the dark streets at night.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts