Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Looks good so far, maybe you could add some groundbreaker zombies with the tombstones. could also add a stirring witch or static one. You have what looks to be a very large area to work with so you are really only limited by your imagination. Good luck with future projects.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
That doesn't look like a bad start gidget..that coffin looks good, and the Lawnmower guy is cool too.

Do you use any effects in your haunt? music, lighting, sound effects, smoke? these can make all the difference in creating an atmosphere. Effective use of these will add an extra dimension to your haunt. without them, your haunt will feel "flat", no matter how good your props are.

My top tip would be to stay tuned to Halloween forum and try some of the prop making tips and tutorials. Start with something fairly simple, like a groundbreaker perhaps. if you run into trouble just scream and you'll be surprised just how many of us will come to your rescue!

As I have mentioned before, down in Oz, you are pretty much in the same boat as we here in the UK. Good quality props are not generally available commercially, so If you want a decent looking haunt, ya gotta get yer hands dirty mate!

(Oh...and you might want to put "dead guys" right hand on his right arm, too...):D:D

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Very nice job for being new to Halloween! I love the lawn mower corpse.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How about red paint all over the grass under and around the lawn mower? The grass will grow and the red paint will be gone in time, so it's not permanent. I'd also consider adding a head to the mower display. :) Great job so far though! I think it's a great start!

·
Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
i would have to agree with Jadewik... lawnmower victim is my fave. i'd definitely add some paint to the grass around him. we painted the grass in a checker pattern last year, and it took about a month and a half for it to all grow out (but we have slow growing grass)....but it really added something to our display...i'd do it again if we had a need for it this year....

·
Registered
576 Posts
Great job for your first time. Definately much more than I had when I started. I think all I had was one rubber snake...

A few ideas you might try:
- Move the tombstones along the fence more into the primary area to create a larger graveyard. When you mow the lawn, skip the area over where the coffin would be, that will add bulk to the plot. Have you considered making some cemetery fence?
- The Blucky skeleton laying on the ground could be assembled and posed on a tombstone, using some wires or other support. Maybe some accesories added to it; hooded cloak, belt, tattered shirt, sword, etc.
- To add a worn darker look, add torn black trash bags, shredded cheese cloth, etc. to trees, walls, doors, archways.

Like others have said, music, lighting, and fog can add a huge dimension to your haunt.

It's fantastic that you are thinking about the upcoming season this early. What project are you building next?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just want to give you props for making the mound of fresh dirt over that grave. Most people wont do it because cleaning it up sucks. I think it really adds spookiness to a graveyard. OOOO that ones fresh! I can smell the dirt already!

·
Haverghast Asylum warden.
799 Posts
Awsome job. Maybe you can add some great stuff around the lawn mower scene. It would add depth and overall mayhem.:D

Also maybe add a ripped up shirt to the scene. That way it looks like the body had an upper half at one time. Just little

details. Crime scene tape and crime scene markers also come to mind.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks all for your replies, comments and suggestions. have already taken on board your suggestions......thanks!!!! will definately be adding red paint to the grass. will try and make a ground breaker, i have found two large wooden pillars that i have painted with concrete paint and am going to buy two gargoyles to sit on top and then try and may a fence to go either side of them, not very hanndy wth my hands, but will give it a go. i do have a lightening machine, i use blue lights and lots of candles, and have spooky music playing. i have a fog machine but, unfortunately brought a cheap one and cannot put a auto remote on it, so unless push the button myself the fog does not come out an i dont want to have to worry about doing that all night, also october is normally windy and the fog just floats away, did make a chiller but made little difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts