Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have some rather silly questions....

I just moved to the united states one month ago from Norway (so sorry if my english isn't perfect). When I was a kid, no one knew what halloween was, but the last few years, kids have been trick-or-treating in Norway too.

Anyway, I love halloween, and I am so excited to finally get to experience halloween here in the US where it's such a big deal! But I do have these silly questions... It's about the treats for the kids. I was wondering how much they expect to get, how much treats for each kid? And also - if I have the candy in the bowl, do I let them grab some treats themselves- or do I put it in their bags for them? I just want to this right as I don't want any eggs or anything being thrown at my door ;)

Also, how many kids should I expect to come knocking on my door? (I live in a gated community) In other words: how much candy do I need to buy?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Greetings Eyas & welcome to the United States,

You are going to find a multitude of answers most likely coming your way cause its different for all of us. When I moved in my new area I 1st asked my neighbors what to expect on halloween, it was a good thing I went with my own gut feeling cause my neighbors told me no one will come & I had 147 kids banging on my door screaming>>>Trick or Treat!!lol (but then the kids had been watching us putting up decorations for 3 weeks outside)

I'm not sure how it works in the gated communities cause I have never lived in one.

When it comes to treats I think most of us just do what we can....some give one piece of candy but with most here on this forum we try to do more for the kids cause we all love halloween & tot'ing. Some give the little bags with a few things inside....I really think its more about what you set aside money wise to spend for halloween, actually what the pocket book will allow. There are some threads here that tell what everyone gives, you may want to look at those.

I did want to mention that I don't feel the egg throwing thing is as common as you may think, I think with as many members as we have on this very active board who live all over the U.S., Canada & quite a few abroad, there has been very little egg throwing.

I'm sure more suggestions will follow & listen.......enjoy your 1st halloween in the US.

Muffy

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hey there and welcome!!

Awesome to see you take part in Halloween.

I'll give you my experience and opinion, but just know that your situation is usually unique to everyone else.

I buy the 'fun size' candy bars for tot's.... and I hand them a couple of bars a piece. Sometimes a little extra for the creative costumes or the kid that's about to pee his pants.

It's all about your own preference and how much you can afford.

I never let the kids reach in the bowl because you get some greedy punks that end up taking 10 while the little 3 year old next to him can only hold 2. So I plop it in there bag.

No one here is going to be able to predict how many kids will come to your door. I know some here talk about having 200 kids, but I only get about 50. Maybe ask some of your neighbors? See if they can give you an estimate from last year.

Just don't run out :D

I like getting snickers, reese's peanut butter cups, twix, and hershey's candies... mostly because I love them so if there are leftovers... then well... I get fat.

Again, just my experience and opinion. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I just wanted to say welcome to the U.S.! We're so glad to have you here! And here on this forum.

I hope you love it here.

I would give out 2-3 small pieces of candy at first. If it seems like you're not getting a lot of trick-or-treaters (TOTers), give a bit more candy so you can get rid of some of it. ;) Kids are usually happy even with one "fun size" (the really little size) candy, like a fun size Hershey bar, a fun size Skittles or whatever. But give 2 or 3 if you can so the kids like coming to your house and come back next year! Watching their faces is the best part. They get SO excited.

I personally give out TONS of candy, a few little pieces plus maybe one or two regular size candy bars, but I don't get lots of kids so it's not super-expensive for me to do it.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,854 Posts
Welcome!

My best tips:

Get candy you like. That way if there is any left over, you can eat it (or take it to school/work).

Give out 2-3 pieces per child, and don't let them get their own candy - you put it in their bag. (you sometimes get several kids at once, and they can spill the bowl if they all reach in at the same time!).

I buy bags of chocolate bars and bags that are a mix of other types of candy like suckers, sweet tarts, fruit flavored candy, and give one chocolate and two of the other kind.

For a gated community, I would think 2-3 large bags would be good. They don't usually open the gates, so you will be dealing with only neighborhood children, and possible grandchildren of neighbors. If you want to check with your neighbors for ideas on what number to expect, that would help.

Turn ON your porch light to let the trick-or-treaters know that you have candy! Turn OFF your porch light when you run out of candy or want to call it a night. You are not required to answer your door if the light is off! (that is a universal trick or treater signal)

Most people turn off their light by 9 or so. ;)

·
Good Ghoul Gone Bad
747 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. I agree with what everyone else has said so far. Ask your neighbors about how many kids to expect. If you decorate a lot, the number of kids will grow each year (I started with 50-70 and within 3 years I had over 200 by the time I moved away from Orlando). A gated community is a little different. Definitely hand the candy out yourself - don't let them get it themselves.

I gave out candy to everyone, but had little bags done up for friend's kids that I knew were coming by. The bags had more candy, and popcorn balls, and little trinkets like plastic spiders.

BTW, my dad's side of the family is all from Norway, and I have a Norwegian maiden name.

·
Incarnation of evil
916 Posts
I love this thread! It's great when newcomers ask questions such as this. And welcome to the U.S. Its great to ask the neighbors first just to get an idea. Are you going to decorate heavily. I have never made a solid count of the children but I usually buy about five bags. In 2001 after 9/11 we had about 10-20 kids at the most, it was most disappointing but expected. Thank you for your interest and I would love to hear how every thing works out. Keep us informed. And Happy Halloween from Texas!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Good tip Frankie's Girl. I never even thought about mentioning the porch light signal.

Have you seen alot of kids out and about in your community? That is another clue as too how much to expect.

I also don't let the kids reach in. I usually give them each 2 pieces. If I know them really well or have a really good costume I'll give them more. Like Muffy said, it all depends on your budget and how many ToT's. I've spent $40 on candy and I'm wondering if it will be enough??? Our weather where I am is probably the biggest factor since it can be so cold.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your answers! I feel a bit more prepared now.

I'm not gonna decorate heavily, we live in an apartment, not a house, so the decoration possibilities are limited. I'm making some decorations for inside, though, but they can't see it until we open the door.... :/ Maybe I'll put a pumpkin outside!

I bought two big bags of candy (100 pieces in each bag) today. I hope that will be enough. I have only seen a few kids around here. I may buy another one too... I'll have to think about it :p

BooBerrie: Have you ever been in Norway? I live in Houston, TX now, and I must say I enjoy the weather here so much more than Norway (we moved here one week after Ike, so we missed the bad stuff)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts