Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No matter how much gear you accumulate, it's always cool to add something new. Our display features NOTHING purchased from a retailer, it's ALL custom built by us. This off season, I'm gonna tackle a life sized Beetlejuice Snake with the face of Michael Keaton. Pool noodles and a paper mâché head.
Is anyone else doing something new next year? We are, after all, the Cutting Edge of Halloween...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Well I was originally going to build a standing animated zombie and a toe pincher/monster in the box type prop. But now I am thinking of building a witch's shack and some spooky Halloween trees instead. Also thinking about building a hanging bird cage big enough to hold a sitting 3 foot skelly. (gonna have the legs dangling out of the cage) Have a few more ideas for some other animated props. Thinking about how to make a prop that looks like someone is tied up inside a burlap sack (gunny sack or Santa sack type bag) moving around like it is trying to get out. I would also like some sort of startle prop, like maybe something that pops up or pops out that would run on an electric motor and goes off by some sort of sensor.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm hoping to making my own tombstones with insulation foam. I realize that probably seems like small fries to many here but I am not creative or artistic. It is quite intimidating to me. But i'm in awe of what HF haunters have created. I have always relied on store bought resin tombstones. I also would like to make a cemetery fence.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yes as the years pass on I build more and more props and deal with less store bought items like tombstones.
Now skulls I buy too hard to make them lol.
I buy bits and pieces, but I virtually never buy full props and if I do, I rip them apart and modify them because mass produced stuff looks terrible IMO. Everything I do is either hand-built or heavily modified, usually both.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I try to have a couple new things each year to keep it fresh for the repeat attendees. I've wanted to do a scissor hinge prop for a couple years so I think this will be this years project. I am not sure what will be extending out at the trail walkers yet but a snake would be a good prop. While I can build the mechanical prop parts, I am not any good at the art & creative decorating side so whatever I do usually has store bought masks and such. I think I will also build a drop panel for next year so there will be another station for an actor to haunt.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I also don't buy a lot of props from stores as the quality always seems to be suspect, however there are some exceptions to that. The lurching grim reaper from Home Depot that came out 3 years ago is in my display and I still consider it an awesome prop and one I wish they'd use as an example of as a prop done right and work off of it for future items! I also think the jumping spiders/bugs/whatever are also really good props. I've had 2 since they came out and they're still working easy to set up and a pretty good scare. I also still have my Zoltar running after what 10 years now?

While I didn't get one, the talking tombstone from Costco this year looked pretty good online, I didn't see one in person so I can't be sure, but if I had probably would picked it up!

To bad the store bought are few and far between, but every once in awhile they get it right so when they do, I hope I'm there to buy one!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Hoping that this is the year I turn some lovely well-rotted wood into a toe-pincher or two with animated occupants lighted from inside the coffin with my new $4.98 clearance Home Depot moving LEDs.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I am going to have dragons next year. Picked up 3 of the dinosaur skeletons from Home Depot. Can't wait to alter, flesh out, add wings, a fog machine and a red fire and ice light in the throat. I'm excited for next summer

·
redrum
990 Posts
As stated in another thread I'll be doing some dinos thanks to all the sales. Gonna try inside first, if I can't make it work than outside.
Who knows, I always do a grave yard. It gets old for me but that's what my family likes....

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
Ive got everything I need to build a cauldron creep witch. Looking forward to starting that project.
Same here! Even have an old cast iron pot I'd love to use for it! :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd like to build a mausoleum that looks decrepit and old, with corpsed skeletons coming out of it.

Ever since I drove through our oldest cemetery in September for inspiration, I've been in awe of mausoleums. Not only their beauty and architecture, but the whole idea of showing "I was something" in life, in death. Also the idea of not being buried underground, etc....

It really makes me start thinking deeply about death and all of that. When you see old graves where the person died before you were even born, it kind of makes it real, knowing that I (and you) too will one day be part of the past.

Kind of sad really. I can't spend too much time thinking about it.

I just made myself depressed...

·
Registered
681 Posts
I too make all my own props. I dont trust the store bought stuff. But we do buy masks and skulls and small items, because like others my wife and i are not all that artistic and would probably look like something an elementary student would do. But I am finally going to build my wife her horse drawn hearse. When it comes to detailing stuff like that i am pretty good at it. The big thing about this is i am going to hand make the tack for the horse , we found a neck collar for the horse a few years ago so that i wont have to make. The idea is we wont have a horse or horse skeleton there, it will just be the tack hanging in mid air like the ones at disney haunted mansion. If I get it right it will be very cool. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I just put a list up on the bulletin board in my new workshop (dedicated workspace, yay!). It has a list of things that need completing and repair, and a list of things that I want to try to do. New stones, some fencing, actually naming my haunt and making a sign, a cauldron creep witch is on there, and several other things. I know I'm not going to get to it all, but we'll see how much I can get done, and anything I don't can get put on 2019's list. I mean I also have a fair number of wordworking things for my new workspace that need completing, props for both Christmas, Valentines day and Easter and some cosplay stuff to do, so I have a lot to keep me busy.

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
2,058 Posts
Right now, all of my display is static. Next year I'm leaning towards a 'skeleton trick or treat' type theme (on the silly side) and would like to have a moving groundbreaker skeleton using a Shiastu massager but not really sure how to work that into my theme......
I have the massager & the upper half of a skeleton - I just need to put them together.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
I'm hoping to finally finish a crashed witch with moving legs that I started building about 3 or 4 years ago. That's my plan, anyway.......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts