Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
She's a work in progress. I finally mounted all the cylinders, but I'm only using some of them for now.
I'm using the ScubaSpook/tstraub controller. What an awesome controller!!

New prop with moving arms

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Russell! Thanks buddy! Yes, I'll be working on the prop today and I will post a video for the mechanism.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Looks great.

Which model of rotary actuator are you using for the 180* turn? I've been having a hard time trying to find reasonably priced actuators online.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Awesome stuff Dave, thanks for sharing the details. I like how you've breathed some new life into the Grandin Road prop. I picked up several items last year after Halloween hoping to do the same. Have some SMC cylinders on the way and can't wait to start building.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks great.

Which model of rotary actuator are you using for the 180* turn? I've been having a hard time trying to find reasonably priced actuators online.
Hi EviL! I'm using a Turn-Act 180. I got it for $40 used on eBay. I've seen them go for around $30-$40 on eBay. But they can be expensive when buying new.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Grego-Fett!
Thanks for the compliment :)
It took about 4 days to build. Maybe about 4 hours each day.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Looks great.

I too have been hunting for the perfect reasonably priced rotary actuator without much luck. The ones with shafts seem to work the best but I have trouble connecting a prop to the shaft. I have had the best luck with ROBOHAND actuactors. They are easy to mount, come with different rotations, most come with 180* rotation and some have adjustable rotation. I have fabricated "stops" to set the rotation I wanted. The last couple I got leaked air (by design or a broken bargain I'm not sure) in the "at rest" position making the use of a 4-way valve impratical. One came with pins that went up and down along with the rotation of the plate which I found had possibilities. I threw in a pic of an air clamp just to mess with Dave's head.

robohand.jpg

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Russell!
Hmm, good question... I'd like to get a welder now, but...
I'm preparing to move to San Diego. I had already bought the building materials (wood, mounts, steel, etc) and its easier (for me) to transport a built prop than to haul all the materials. For now I've been using a friend's welder. But of course if I see an awesome deal on a welder, I might get it sooner than later, LOL.
By the way, thanks for the rotary info! I'll check out ROBOHAND.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don't know what other people do for fun but launching bath towels in 100 degree heat is what I did today. Air clamp proof of concept: http://www.snydercentral.com/tmp/clampPOC.wmv
Tempreture: Hot
Humidity: High
Payload: 4 heavy bath towles wieght unknown but < 20 pound counter weight used
PSI: 1 test at at 60 and another at 100
Results: It might work. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL, that's cool! You keep this up Russell and you'll inspire me to overcrowd my yard haunt even more
;-)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts