Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I decided that we're going to go to New Orleans for Halloween this year instead of doing the Haunt. With the amount of money I spend every year on it, it should be a pretty kick *** vacation. It will be my wife, probably my daughter and me

My questions to all of you:

Have any of you ever been there for Halloween?
Where is a good place to stay?
What things to do should not be missed?
Are there any haunts (pro or home) that we should see?

I would especially like to hear from haunters living in NOLA

I know there's probably a lot of info on the web about this, but I wanted to get a first hand account before I get started.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Daddy O
I'm original from New Orleans born and raised now living in Texas . You must take a Cemetery Tour as a young girl I used to love to play in the cemeteries in my neighborhood . Also the Ghost Tour , I think They may still have the Tour of HurriIcan Katrina Area ( pretty sad to see but it is what it is) Also go to Marie Laveau House of Voodoo on Bourbon Street there is also a Voodoo Museum. Before you buy souvenirs like voodo dolls go to the French Market the sovenirs are a whole lot cheaper. So far as haunted hotels , last year for Mardi Gras my husband and I stayed at Hotel Monteleone it's famous for ghost seeing the only thing I noticed was the bathroom door would just open my husband was freak out but I'm use of that stuff .if you stay at a haunted hotel when it's late at night take your cell phone or video camera and walk the halls you may freak yourself out or not. Next month we are going back for Mard Gras we are going to stay at The Dauphine Orleans Hotel Its also has a haunted history but not like Monteleone Hotel. have fun be safe (it's can be dangerous so don't go down the wrong street, stay with the crowd don't fall for that old trick when a local says to you "I know where you got your shoes at" just keep waking. If any other questions please contact me.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,065 Posts
I would suggest you check out out some of the locations that HAuNTCon has on their tour this year. There are some amazing pro haunts and creepy tours planned. We have booked our tours and I cannot wait!!!! I can't imagine going during Halloween, so much fun!

·
Registered
13,644 Posts
Daddy-O sounds like a great plan! How old is your daughter? DH and I were down there, but for Mardi Gras one year. It was kind of last minute decision and hotel rooms in town were hard to find. Ended up staying out in Mettarie figuring we would have a car for touring anyway. While I would have liked to stay in town then for convenience, it was nice to get a feel for how most of New Orleans lives in the burbs. It's been some time but here are some family suggestions not halloween related I can make: A trip on the bayou, the Aquarium, of course the local NOLA restaurants. I remember eating breakfast at Mother's ("debris" was part of the meal), also ate breakfast one day in the French Quarter at Brennans (bananas foster, DH tried the turtle soup--I thought I heard they Closed up a few years ago but Reopened), splurged one night at Commander's Palace. Going there at night we got the chance to pass by and see the older homes with their leaded glass doors and windows all lit up, very beautiful and part of the Southern charm of the city. We did not have time to take in the music scene or tour the old mansions which I regret.

A few weeks ago NCIS New Orleans (with Scott Bakula and CCH Pounder) had an episode set at Halloween. Any chance you saw it? Kind of reminded me of Mardi Gras a bit except this time everyone was in costume. Perhaps the show will be filming while you are down there. Hopefully a lot of locals will chime in with suggestions at Halloween.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Danny-Girl,

Thanks for the great info! I'll definitely be looking in to those hotels you mentioned! I've been to Mardi Gras before, but way back when I was a teenager (1987) and the kids on the street were doing the "shoes" bit then, too.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ghost of Spookie,

Thanks for the ideas! My daughter will be 14 when we go. That NCIS episode was kind of what prompted us to want to go!!

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
I've been to NOLA many many times but never for Halloween. We considered it but it seems to have become another smaller version of mardi gras, with it's crowded street party atmosphere. Not really my thing. I prefer Halloween to be on the dark, quiet, and spooky side. That said, I must recommend the French Market Inn for your hotel stay. It has recently undergone a massive restoration and is now a beautiful tiny boutique hotel right on Decatur street across from the river. We stayed there back in June and decided it will be our hotel of choice on future trips. We also took a ghost tour with Witches Brew Tours and it did not disappoint. No cheesy theatrics, just an evening walking the quarter with a great storyteller. As far as cemeteries, many will steer you toward St. Louis #1 as it is the oldest and easily walkable from the quarter but I prefer Lafayette #1 in the garden district. Whatever you do, you're sure to have a great time. It's one of the most fascinating cities in the country, with arguably the best food you'll ever have anywhere. Have fun planning!

·
Registered
33 Posts
We went on the "Haunted History Tours", met in front of a voodoo store (a good one, not one of the crappy tourist ones) - Reverend Zombies House Of Voodoo.
Not sure how much fun it will be with a 14 year old...there was several stops in a couple bars, one being the Blacksmith Shop. Lafittes Blacksmith Shop Bar. Oldest bar supposedly with lots of ghosts. A very rich pirate history with it. But they gave lots of great tips for 'possible' good photo shots...that is for pictures with possible odd things in it..

Of course, you don't need to go on an official tour if you want to get a lonely planet book and/or do some research on your own.

If you don't stay in-at least visit the Andrew Jackson Hotel (Haunted & right there in Bourbon Street area)

Madame LaLaurie's House (as made famous in American Horror Story Coven..but doesn't look like the house shown on TV, FYI) on the corner of Royal Street & Calle Real. Research Marie Delphine LaLaurie, serial killer and socialite, if you've never heard of her. Really sick and twisted woman. Interesting house to read about too. some scary stuff!

Speaking of American Horror Story...we did stumble on the house used in the show in the Garden District....
couldn't tell you where exactly it is, as we were walking and suddenly it was there...

Check out St. Louis Cemetery No. 1, home of the tomb of Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau. Bring a personal item of offering even if you don't plan to make a wish. I didn't make a wish, as I wouldn't be returning anytime in the forseeable future..legend is also that it is not the actual tomb of M. Laveau, to throw off grave robbers and those without good intentions...so look around to see if you can find any other tombs with offerings left and red X's on the outside. ;) Give yourself the most time here in this "city of the dead"...the tombs and graves are pretty amazing.

1511043_10203430123216728_839994982_n.jpg
1913228_10203546588008275_1733958380_o.jpg
10013388_10203471205963771_892421105_o.jpg

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,065 Posts
We are going to HAuNTCon in a couple of weeks with our kids (girl 14, boy 16), we have added on a few days to tour around New Orleans. We are staying at the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon St., which is supposed to be a nice hotel as well?? The timing of this thread couldn't be more perfect, we are going to check out some of these places as well! I will let you know how my kiddies make out with the sites! :) The parades might be a bit much....:confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
The city usually will do several parades during events, not just in different locations but at different times - the early day ones being more kid friendly.

·
that dude ain't right
615 Posts
Remember: It's Mardi Gras season. Not sure if there'll be any parades, but there will be a bunch of balls going on. Bourbon will be packed. Look up Tropical Isle. They have a web cam on the street. It'll give you an idea of what goes on down there.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,403 Posts
Here's the LaLaurie house. It's not marked, no plaques, nothing. You can't go into it but you can rent it if you're filthy rich.

http://www.nola.com/homegarden/index.ssf/2013/10/the_lalaurie_house.html

I recommend St. Louis #1 too & a guided tour if you can do it but do it early, they close up pretty early. There's several other graves of voodoo folks there too. They're all decorated like Laveau's, with Xs & offerings. I didn't do an offering because it just seemed silly to me & kind of disrespectful. They have to come through every night to "clean" the tomb (& the other voodoo tombs), to pick up the offerings that people had left. I just thought it looked trashy & I don't cater to any religion so I wasn't going to start by leaving my lip gloss at Laveau's "maybe" tomb.

And offering at one of the voodoo tombs:

And around the corner is Nic Cage's tomb. Don't ask, just go see it.The picture really doesn't do the crazy thing justice. And it's even more blinding in the mid-day sun in July!!

Here's my NOLA trip album. After we got back & I uploaded the pics I realized we are in ZERO pics! I took pics of stuff but neither me or my husband are in any of the pics!! My husband did a swamp tour which just wasn't my thing since I prefer gators far,far away from me.

http://s225.photobucket.com/user/jasonleeisagod/library/New Orleans LA trip July 2014

Oh that's another thing, there's freakin' dried, stuffed, taxidermied, skulls, skeletons of gators EVERY-FREAKING-WHERE!! They put the small creepy clawed feet of baby gators on the hot sauce bottles ferchrissakes!! They're like vermin down there. They just creep me right the frick out & there was one store where I wouldn't go in the back because I'd have to pass a giant stuffed gator. They are just primordial & give me the willies.

The concierge at our hotel said take a general tour first to see lots of things then go back & take a specific tour if you decide you love the Garden District or the cemeteries, etc. So that's what we did, she booked us a general bus tour that took us into the 9th Ward, to Treme, to the Garden District, the cemetery,etc. & then we decided we wanted to do a haunted & cemetery tour which we did later in the week. I felt kinda wrong gawking at the 9th ward while other people on the bus were taking pics of the wreckage but it really hammered home how horrible even a small flood would ruin a large part of the city.

The 9th ward is below sea level & when we went over that levee it was pretty obvious & sickening to see that there was no way those people even had a ghost of a chance. It was just horrible.

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
We are going to HAuNTCon in a couple of weeks with our kids (girl 14, boy 16), we have added on a few days to tour around New Orleans. We are staying at the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon St., which is supposed to be a nice hotel as well?? The timing of this thread couldn't be more perfect, we are going to check out some of these places as well! I will let you know how my kiddies make out with the sites! :) The parades might be a bit much....:confused:
The Royal Sonesta is very nice! You won't be disappointed!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts