Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I decided that we're going to go to New Orleans for Halloween this year instead of doing the Haunt. With the amount of money I spend every year on it, it should be a pretty kick *** vacation. It will be my wife, probably my daughter and me

My questions to all of you:

Have any of you ever been there for Halloween?
Where is a good place to stay?
What things to do should not be missed?
Are there any haunts (pro or home) that we should see?

I would especially like to hear from haunters living in NOLA

I know there's probably a lot of info on the web about this, but I wanted to get a first hand account before I get started.

Thanks in advance!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,113 Posts
There are several people on the board that are from NOLA, hopefully they'll chime in before your trip.

We were in NOLA for the week of July 4 & unless you prefer heat & humidity I wouldn't recommend it then. We had a family wedding the week before & decided to make a week of it & see the city since we'd never been. We went out every day & did something despite the weather. My husband did a swamp tour, we both did a ghost tour, walked around, shopped, walked, etc., etc.

I mean we weren't going to stay inside just because it was hot & humid. We're sorta used to the 3 H's, Hazy, Hot & Humid being from MD so it wasn't as bad for us as it was for some but it certainly would've been more enjoyable if it hadn't been the 3 H's.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RCIAG,

Thanks for the info! Hopefully it will be much cooler in Oct!

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
:D Daddy O, that sounds like a great idea! I love New Orleans, it's one of the BEST places I've ever been. So much rich history, and just a really exciting place to go. I haven't visited at Halloween, but I bet it will be spooktacular. I went a few years ago, and I would definitely recommend doing the cemetery tour, and of course go and see Marie Leveau's tomb. I had a supernatural experience there and it's definitely worth a visit. I would also recommend the Garden District tour if you like a walking tour and big, beautiful houses. That was a strolling tour and I actually got to pet Anne Rice's dogs when they came to the fence!:D There is also a Voodoo tour which was very informative and a bit scary. We did the Honey Island Swamp tour which was fun, and full of alligators and gumbo. The food in New Orleans is amazing! One of my favorite restaurants was The Court of Two Sisters, it is absolutely charming and the food was delicious! I am sure there will be all kind of Halloween activities and I'm hoping that some of the members from the area will chime in. :D

We did something similar in 2013, I didn't decorate and instead went to Halloween Horror nights in Orlando with a few friends. It was a hoot and although I missed my usual Halloween frolics, it was a nice change. Have a blast!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've never been to NOLA for Halloween but I've wanted to for years, and this sounds like an awesome idea! I've been to New Orleans a few times bc I used to have family in Louisiana so I have some general advice but sadly nothing Halloween specific.

I visited most recently in May and we stayed in one of the antique suites at the Lamothe House on Esplanade. It's right on the edge of the French Quarter, close to the Market, and Frenchmans Street is right behind it. I'm going to sound like a shill for the company, but oh well-- the antique suites are furnished and decorated with antique furniture & art, and they're beautiful and atmospheric. We shelled out a touch more to have that experience and we didn't regret it at all. The Lamothe House was the town property of some rich sugar baron or something, and it's a fabulously old building, beautiful courtyard, Keurig coffeemakers in your room, etc etc etc. It's a bit quieter than staying right on or around the French Quarter, but close enough that walking to everything isn't a problem as long as you're reasonably fit and committed to lots of strolling. Cafe Envie around the corner was where we usually had our breakfast.

We also went on a swamp tour, though I suspect that in October your odds of seeing any gators are going to be pretty low. The Honey Island swamp is beautiful even without gators though. The House of Blues has a kicking burlesque show if you're into that kind of thing. ^_^ (oh, but that may not be daughter appropriate? not sure how old she is, it's tasteful but racy)

My last word on NOLA is this -- If you're out late on Bourbon St and want a snack, DO NOT eat at the CLOVER GRILL on Bourbon, they have roaches. And we didn't see the roach until we'd waited 40 minutes to get one hotdog and an order of fries. I wanted to throw up and die.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Pumpkin5 and chocolatemice for the info and the advice!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Personally, I'd love to hear a trip report when you get back! I've always wanted to go for Halloween, a personal account would be awesome. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts