Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, My name is Frank (or Sir Meili). I actually signed up a while ago and have lurked on an off very infrequently. I love Halloween. I closed on my house on halloween in 2006 and ever since I've really gotten into the holiday. As a matter of fact, I just got married last night!!

So that is why I've decided to come back here today. We were going to go all out and about 3 weeks before Halloween my mom had a stroke and I've basically had to give her 24 hour care since then. My mom is doing better, but still recovering and was even able to make it to the house for our revised and much smaller and decorated wedding. When we decided to cancel the big big wedding, I told my now wife that starting November 1st I was starting on our rescheduled "ceremony" which we are having on our first Anniversary (we will basically do the larger ceremony and renew our vows).

So, I'm here looking for ideas, tips, advice, and to join in the fun. I will be starting to make my new props asap and to plan out the whole yard. I've even semi-jokingly told my wife that we should just leave the house as is and start buiding from there :) Here are some pictures from this year (not that great as I was short on time)

Front Porch:
Light Violet Lighting Magenta Pink

Close up (the reaper was moved out to the graveyard after this)
Entertainment Performance Music Magenta Stage

Alchemist's table (the bottom houses the Av Receiver and a TV for the Big Scream TV's The Boo Tube all behind Ghoulish Gauze). The whole thing folds up to about 4" deep for easy storage out back and is made of pressure treated wood. it sits out all year round behind the shed.
Shelf Alcohol Room Liquor store Furniture

The fog from my Chauvet Lighting Hurricane 1301 Fog Machine and my fog chiller (44gallon trash can with 80lbs of ice..I think it's called a vortex chiller?)
Nature Grass Tree Lawn Plant

I didn't get a picture of the graveyard, but it's small. Next year, the whole front yard will be one (about 70'x40').

Things I planned to do this year, but didn't:
  • I bought a Minions Web web gun. I never got a chance to use it :(
  • I have a pile of wood to make more coffins (I only got the 1 made). They were going to be drink holders and tables.
  • Decorate the whole inside of the house. We have a ton of stuff that unfortunately never made it out.
  • More general decorations (I stopped shopping when she had the stroke)

Some thing I'd like to try for next year:
  • FireFly lighning simulator
  • We are having a front patio put in with a shade structure put in (the front of my house is like a "U"). My brother and I are planning on building a fake wall and making it look like the roof caved in. This will be the entrance to the "mortuary/funeral home".
  • Some AtmosfearFX displays(I got a bunch of the videos from Spirit today for 50% off)
  • A dragon off to the side of the house in a cave. We are going to get another fog machine and we will basically build a fake snout and recess it in a "cave" with monitors for the eyes (Likely Terror Eye's from Big Scream TV).

And of course I plan on getting even more ideas from here over the next 12 months!

Some "odds and ends" background on me:
I am a web developer by trade who works from home in Sebring, FL.
I am big into the Home automation scene (I used my philips hue bulbs on my porch as part of my display with the Hue Halloween app).
I am not scared to do anything as far as bulding stuff. I do electrical, carpentry, etc. I hope to build some skills with foam and painting.

So I'm glad to be here and I hope I get to meet lots of new fun people.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forums! A big congratulations on the marriage, and very glad to hear your mother is doing better.

Doesn't look like you need a lot of help, but you'll definitely find some inspiration here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh, wow, I'm blown away by your Alchemist's Table. Really well done. Maybe add an open, ancient looking spellbook, next to a small, "simmering" cauldron? A small detail, I know, but that's what I tend to get caught up in. :)

Congratulations on your wedding, and I am glad to hear that your mom is recovering.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, wow, I'm blown away by your Alchemist's Table. Really well done. Maybe add an open, ancient looking spellbook, next to a small, "simmering" cauldron? A small detail, I know, but that's what I tend to get caught up in. :)
Thanks :) that picture is actually from before I was completely done. There is a "spell book" from grandin road that goes on there on there is a skull that glows green and produces mist.. So close!!

BTW, here is a picture of it collapsed. I actually got some time to cleanup today.
Furniture Hutch Property Shelf Room

It will be stored out back behind the shed covered with a tarp.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your wedding and I'm so glad to hear that your mom is doing better. You need to post your story, pic's and description in another area! Too many people will miss seeing and reading about your plight! Lol. Can't wait to see you around the forums! :D

GiggleingGhost

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, that's about it! We didn't actually get to do what we wanted, so i'm using the "wedding" as a way to spend tons of money/time on halloween. Though really, I'm hoping that having a years notice and the resources here, I can make a lot more, for a lot less :) I've been buying resin tombstones, but I think that I'm going to give the hand made foam ones a try.

I am likely going to start a new "build" thread though to track my progress. I think that GiggleingGhost is correct and I need to move it all out of this thread :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts