Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got started late last year and as we all know everything takes longer than you think it will..... so I only got a few simple props up
This year will be better as I started working on moving props last winter..... starting with this Pumpkin Head Man that rotates back and forth at the waist:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
next I took inspiration from "Roxbury Manor" and his tilting ground breaker to make up a Zombie stuck in a barrel.
He starts slumped over then after the motion switch is tripped he straightens up and raises up as if pushing his body up with his arms. Both of these props use wiper motors...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Swaying Zombie got my attention...next:
all PVC construction(no wood). and with hollow legs he can stand over top of t-bar fence posts driven in ground so no wooden base showing or no wind blowing him over.. or use wooden base on driveway and to store him...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
working on my witch stirring a Cauldron now: need some hands for her....
the head moves on a small gear motor from amazon....
Three swirling lights in cauldron (on sale for $9. last year after xmas) inside projects out of cauldron and
onto witches face. Looking to get a small smoke machine to pump fog out of cauldron.
Perhaps a fake fire/ glowing coals if I get time....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I forgot to tell you I am from Ontario Canada... couple hours north of Toronto.
No I don't live in an Igloo - it only snows 6 months of the year....
Last year it snowed Nov 7 and never melted.
Halloween night was perfect!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks....
Being mostly retired (other than odd day here and there) I am now doing the stuff I wanted to do but never had the time before. Fun stuff!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome...yes, very impressive stuff! I really admire the mechanical stuff, my crafting is very primitive but I would love to advance to animimatronics and such.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow, very impressive! Will we get to see a video of the witch when she is completed? Where do you have the props on Halloween?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, very impressive! Will we get to see a video of the witch when she is completed? Where do you have the props on Halloween?
Thanks!
I plan to have the witch at the front entrance so the kids have to walk past her to get to the door. She has one eye wide open and kinda stares you down.... This prop is my wife's favourite. The three Zombies... I am thinking of having them on the lawn at side of driveway in a horde sort of...? Maybe some old rusty chain around their legs as if it is holding them from attacking? The Pumpkin man I have to put at end of laneway as visible as possible along with the glowing green barrel with Zombie stuck in it. As we are the first house up a hill from the majority of houses on a dead end street, I need something highly visible to make the walk uphill worthwhile.... This along with the perfect storm lightning box flashing multiple LED floodlights on house and trees will hopefully give me the "Haunted House on the hill" look?

See some video and stuff on the Witch here:
It isn't finished yet... still need to complete her hands. I have creepy long green gloves for her.
I added a few short videos and pictures as I figured some will be interested in the "how it works".
If you look closely at the head movement videos, you will see that I have equal length arms on motor and link.
This gives me only half the travel but causes her head to stay up longer and just dip down for a look.
This I think is much more natural than just having the head constantly moving up and down.
And no fancy controller....just some accidental discovery! If you are looking close enough you will pick up that the first short video without the head, the arm pushed the other way. It is dependent on the head being heavier than the back lever arm to work the way it is now. Hope that makes sense...?

·
Registered
29 Posts
That witch is awesome!!! I'm impressed and I'm sure it will give the kids a thrill. Are you using green pool lights at the bottom of the cauldron?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That witch is awesome!!! I'm impressed and I'm sure it will give the kids a thrill. Are you using green pool lights at the bottom of the cauldron?
Thanks ! I really appreciate the remarks from you fellow haunters!

The lights I am using are from Home Depot - on sale after Xmas for $9. each Canadian. (regular was $25. ea.).
I bought 5 of them.... 3 in cauldron and 2 inside Radioactive zombie in 45 gal barrel.
In the while barrel they give a look of radioactive/ toxic waste with moving green patterns.
I have a video of him posted in my new member intro. Looks better in person.... ?
I stuck 3 of them in cauldron so they are symmetrical around wiper motor for excellent coverage.
They were cheap and draw hardly any power.... maybe 3-5 watts.
They are not in stock at my Home Depot now.... till Xmas?
They have an orange Fire and ice one now in stock for $26. CAD
here is link to the red one same style as the green ones I use:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
5 Participants
Krusty
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing