Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was actually pretty impressed with the new colored LED floods that I picked up from WalMart. Red, green, or blue for only $6. That seems cheap for an LED flood.

·
redrum
988 Posts
Have not used them yet. I did upgrade my 12 year old LED lights with Lowes $9.99 LED flood lights. They are new this year.
For 1/2 the price I will try a walmart bulb.

I am so perticular about the hue that they put off, Halloween OCD.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was actually pretty impressed with the new colored LED floods that I picked up from WalMart. Red, green, or blue for only $6. That seems cheap for an LED flood.
Yesss, I picked up 2 of the same ones I think, the "Great Value" ones at Walmart... Yeah, around $6 each, the give off a great blue color and don't use much power. I wanted to use floods before, but regular ones get too hot and use too much power.

blue flood.jpg

I also use these in my other fixtures, a little less intense blue, more of a "moonlight blue". Also inexpensive, and low power draw. Mine has these in different colors in a 2 for the price of 1 pack. Can't beat that!

blue led.jpg

I use a lot of lighting, so minimizing the draw and heat goes a long way.

I pick up my fixtures (desk lamps, clamp lights, etc..) throughout the year from thrift stores for dirt cheap.

·
Registered
483 Posts
No walmart near me. Can someone post the upc or sku here to see if they're available online? Looking for the floods specifically. Or maybe post a link. I can't find them on walmart.com. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I was just wondering about these myself. Good to know that they put off good lighting. I will go and see if I can go grab some for my displays. Unfortunately the blue ones are sold out at my local store, but they did still have the red and green ones. I think Home Depot might have the blue ones for around $11. But getting the red and green ones at a lower price will offset the cost of the blue one.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have tried both the Lowes for $10 and the Walmart for $7. The Lowes offers a deeper red in my opinion. The walmart is much lighter red. More of a white light with red tint whereas the Lowes version is red.

Scarab

·
Registered
580 Posts
I was just wondering about these myself. Good to know that they put off good lighting. I will go and see if I can go grab some for my displays. Unfortunately the blue ones are sold out at my local store, but they did still have the red and green ones. I think Home Depot might have the blue ones for around $11. But getting the red and green ones at a lower price will offset the cost of the blue one.
I grabbed a blue one at the local Walmart and they had red, green and yellow as well. Keep checking, they will restock.

·
redrum
988 Posts
I have tried both the Lowes for $10 and the Walmart for $7. The Lowes offers a deeper red in my opinion. The walmart is much lighter red. More of a white light with red tint whereas the Lowes version is red.

Scarab
That's my OCD problem. I like the Lowes floods and the colors they produce. I tried some from Homedepot and they were not as dark or rich. It drives me nuts and my wife cannot tell the difference.

Life of a home haunter

·
Registered
98 Posts

Scarab
Good to know.
Does the Lowe's version have a "red" tinted glass lens? Or do you have no idea what color it is until you turn it on?
I upgraded almost all of my car's bulbs to LEDs this fall, and the color of the LED and the color of the lens (or lack of color) makes a big difference...

I can attest that the Walmart blue ones are a good rich blue, can't compare it with others though.

Example: The Gemmy stake spotlights I have have no way of knowing what color they are until you turn them on (clear lens). I wrote the color on the housing so I can keep track.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

Scarab
That is good to know. Maybe if I get a chance to drive to our closest town with a Lowe's I can stop in and see what they have. It is a 2 hour drive to get there. Been trying to get to that town all summer, but just haven't been able to. I need to do a serious Costco run and get stocked up on some items before snow flies.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Good to know.
Does the Lowe's version have a "red" tinted glass lens? Or do you have no idea what color it is until you turn it on?
I upgraded almost all of my car's bulbs to LEDs this fall, and the color of the LED and the color of the lens (or lack of color) makes a big difference...

I can attest that the Walmart blue ones are a good rich blue, can't compare it with others though.

Example: The Gemmy stake spotlights I have have no way of knowing what color they are until you turn them on (clear lens). I wrote the color on the housing so I can keep track.

They are both made up of LEDs. You can't tell the color from the light itself. I could definitely see the difference between the two bulbs though. Lowes is better (in my opinion) because they seem darker, richer red. If what you are looking for is a lighter, brighter red than go Wal-Mart.

Scarab

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I went and bought the red, green and blue LED floods at walmart last night and I agree the red isn't really all that red, or even that bright. But it was still better than what I had and will have to work for this year. The green isn't too bad, it is definitely bright, almost too bright, I can't really tell how true to color it is, but maybe it is what I have it shining on. Green light on green witches faces. The blue could be brighter, but it seems pretty true to color and actually has more of a black light effect. Anything that was white or light colored glowed with the light shining on it. Might be good for lighting up a flying crank ghost or something. Overall they are not bad lights especially if on a budget, they are definitely better than incandescent flood lights that is for sure. However, I will definitely be buying something else for next year.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Oh and the blue lights and the green lights had a clear lens and you could not tell what color they were until you turned them on, so make sure to mark what color they are on the housing. The red light had a pinkish red tinted lens so that might be why the color is off and dimmer than the others.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I also use these, you actually get them at Christmas time from Lowe's, Home Depot, or Walmart for $15. Red, green, or blue. I even saw a "UV" one one time, but it was just a purple light, no black light effect.

It's getting hard to find regular lights at Halloween, almost all of them have some sort of projection or moving shapes. I do like the Fire and Ice (red/orange) one though, for demonic scenes.

HD spt.jpg

·
Registered
580 Posts
I went and bought the red, green and blue LED floods at walmart last night and I agree the red isn't really all that red, or even that bright. But it was still better than what I had and will have to work for this year. The green isn't too bad, it is definitely bright, almost too bright, I can't really tell how true to color it is, but maybe it is what I have it shining on. Green light on green witches faces. The blue could be brighter, but it seems pretty true to color and actually has more of a black light effect. Anything that was white or light colored glowed with the light shining on it. Might be good for lighting up a flying crank ghost or something. Overall they are not bad lights especially if on a budget, they are definitely better than incandescent flood lights that is for sure. However, I will definitely be buying something else for next year.
I replaced my graveyard accent lights with some of the blue LEDs and I think they work great. Need to get one more today and that finishes the graveyard off. I agree with the black light comment, it does give that effect, which is fantastic for what I needed, an unexpected bonus.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Oh and the blue lights and the green lights had a clear lens and you could not tell what color they were until you turned them on, so make sure to mark what color they are on the housing. The red light had a pinkish red tinted lens so that might be why the color is off and dimmer than the others.
Actually, the one I got has a big sticker on it that says "I light up blue", which doesn't seem to affect the light any so I just left it on. Of course, at the end of the season, it gets returned to the original box like all of my other lights so I always know what color it is.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Actually, the one I got has a big sticker on it that says "I light up blue", which doesn't seem to affect the light any so I just left it on. Of course, at the end of the season, it gets returned to the original box like all of my other lights so I always know what color it is.
Ah yes, that's right. They are clear lenses, I recall that sticker. I took it off, painted the housing black, and labeled it "blue". I would like to return everything to the boxes, but I find it easier to leave the bulbs in the fixture that I used them in. Makes for faster set up and tear down, also reminds me of ideas, such as "Oh yeah, I was going to clamp the UV light on my car etc...." I have a couple of those "clamp on" lights.

It will be interesting to see, in a few years, how many of these LEDs (not just for Halloween, but the ones in house fixtures, and cars) are still working.
They are SUPPOSED to last like 10,000 hours or more, but you never know for sure until the time passes.

If LEDs really do last that long, lighting companies will just have to charge more (which they do for LEDs already, usually) to stay in business- if we all upgraded to LEDs that last forever, you wouldn't be buying bulbs for quite awhile.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts