Halloween Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we moved over the summer into a GREAT house that is going to be awesome for our annual Halloween Party, but I realized the other night that the streetlight is VERY BRIGHT! Oh NO! I've worked on our front yard display for years, fine tuning and upgrading the lighting for that perfect ambience. And now all I have is a whole lot of orange. :(

I need help/suggestions/words of encouragement. I think attempting to block the light sounds dangerous (it's pretty high) but I haven't ruled it out. Looks like a five gallon bucket cutoff or simply a think trashbag might help. Or totally change up my approach?

Thoughts? Here's pics of my old front yard (pitch black, no streetlights) and the new house with the street light. Mainly it's lighting issue. I have a layout in mind.

Old yard:
Lighting Night Light House Sky

Light Lighting Night Water Technology

New yard:
Home Property House Lighting Sky

Sky Night Home Lighting Light

Edit: Well shoot now I see a bunch of threads on this... And I can't delete this one.
this one is GREAT! http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/99660-street-light-defeated-halloween.html
http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/163961-nuisance-street-lights-halloween.html
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/79620-street-light-problem.html

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,718 Posts
Streetlights come up every so often (do a search to see past discussions if you are interested).

The general advice is this:

It's not a bad thing - it's just a new challenge! New house, new haunt setup. :D

Do not tamper with or otherwise mess with the idea of reducing or hiding the streetlight as a whole by covering it. It is dangerous, could get you in trouble, and you will be opening yourself up to a liability issue if you blocked a light meant to help with visibility on a night when children will be out running around on the streets/sidewalks. Remember why folks actually put up lights - for safety - and work with it instead of against it.

At the most, I might make a large winged figure that could be attached to a pole or right at the edge of your yard that was quite tall, so it would cast a great big shadow across your yard. Might be fun to figure something really creepy to build for this, like a grim reaper figure with great wings (made from tattered black cloth that would serve both as a light block and work to create a cool effect using the light source itself. Shadows might be a fun aspect to really start playing with.

Plant a fast growing tree near that light but far enough back so no city workers challenge the tree or try to cut it down, especially if you plan to live there for many years. I have a very bright orange streetlight about the same distance from my front door. I also have a super creepy tree in my yard and it's AMAZING how creepy the setup is with the orange lighting and then - BOOM - tree/darkness area. I have no issues with lights under the tree canopy and have used blues, greens and reds to great effect.

Orange lighting is not terrible. The contrasting color is blue, so I'd start doing some test runs with your existing lighting setup and see how you can arrange your props and lighting to cast shadows.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Reactions: Edmund K

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have the same problem except the street light is in my adjoining neighbors yard so I can't even block it with a prop. The good news is the bulb is currently burned-out so I'm waiting until after Halloween to report it. Knowing this was going to be an issue years ago I planted a fast growing shrub/tree (crepe myrtle) that has now grown tall enough to shade the light. You may consider doing the same.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I can hit the one across the street with a laser pointer and turn it off. Problem is having the laser going all night long without moving. My tripod's precision isn't that minute for me to make fine adjustments to aim the laser. Anyone have ideas?

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,420 Posts
i know it's already been said here, but i can't stress enough how bad an idea it is to tamper with a street light--especially if it's a public light and not a utility light owned by an individual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts