Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We actually moved in the week of HW in 2008, but only had time to set up ghosts in windows w/ black lights, trashcan trauma (worked about 1/3 of the time due to sitting all year and no testing beforehand) and Hallowindow upstairs (which got the most feedback).

Fairly long driveway and curvy walk to front door. VERY dark, which is awesome, but not great for TOT safety. Some things I have to work with...

-about 80 feet of cemetery fence and tombstones to suit
-HHIAB, with enough lights to land aircraft
-2 high output foggers, multiple dinky foggers, one bubble fogger
-Monster in Box
-Trashcan Trauma
-air cannon
-Pirate Props
-several cauldrons with fake flames
-black light out the wazoo
-FCG
-Working on 3-axis skull w/skelly
-Pepper's ghost setup (skelly)
-several light organs
-wireless speakers
-2 popup canopies
-lanterns, etc
-string lights from here to Timbuktu, all colors and types
- spooky trees
- Gemmy Monster
- And other stuff

Sooooooooo.... any thoughts you may have would be awesome!

·
2,617 Posts
Awesome house ! Can't think of anything specific right now, except the Forrest behind your house would look great lit up with colored flood lights. Maybe a fog machine back there with rising fog ? :)

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never thought about lighting up behind the house. I might test that out.

We need to have some electrical work done, we pop the breaker all the time with just space heaters and such. I want to add some 20amp circuits and split things up so not so many are on the same circuits.

I don't even want to think about running the air compressor and foggers without a change.

·
2,617 Posts
Let me know how that works out. If that was my house and I had that super creepy Forrest
behind me, that's the first thing I'd do !
PS, nice haunt at your old house :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I would suggest buying the following:
case of quart sized glass mason jars
large bag of unscented tea light candles
candle lighter
some sand
optional- spool of medium grade wire & heavy kite string

line the drive way with the mason jars w/ sand (for weight) & tea lights
or make a metal loop around the neck of the jar & secure with lid ring. Use the kite string to hang it from trees at desired height or along the fence.

Note: I hang mason jars from trees every year along the winding drive way. They give off just the right amount of light & not too bright. The quart jar works perfect to protect the tea light from being blown out by wind. And will only burn for hours before going out it's self.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Of course, you could carve small 'funkins' (foam pumpkins) and hang those instead of the mason jars, but the mason jars would be just as strong visually.

I'm looking at the two tree out front, and picturing the size of the glow-in-the-dark fishing line spiderweb that could fit between them.
I also see an Axworthy ghost gliding from tree to tree to roof corner.
An owl on the porch roof, complete with LED eyes and a soundtrack of echoing hoots...

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Never thought about lighting up behind the house. I might test that out.

We need to have some electrical work done, we pop the breaker all the time with just space heaters and such. I want to add some 20amp circuits and split things up so not so many are on the same circuits.

I don't even want to think about running the air compressor and foggers without a change.
that's money well spent. I upped the service on my house from 100Amps to 200Amps last year along with a much bigger breaker panel.

Then I wired in switches for outlets I put in my eaves and now I can sit inside and turn everything off and on...no running around plugging and unplugging things every night

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At our old house (sad to have to refer to it that way...), everything that came on nightly was on a couple timers. The garage was wired for heavy duty... dang I miss it.

Here, we can't run a dang heater and a blow drier in two separate rooms without tripping the breaker. They literally have 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, a hallway and stairs on one circuit. Then, they have the living room, laundry room, hallway, kitchen, den and porch on one circuit. The big appliances have their own, though.

If I do update the wiring, I want an outlet in the yard somewhere too.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,854 Posts
I don't see why you can't use your basic blue/green lighting with the tombstones and such from your previous location in that front yard dead zone (hehe ;) ) with the lights lining the drive.

I love the idea of having the back lit up - all of those trees and something strobing and/or colored lights.

I love Terra's archway idea too and she's right, it would go perfectly at the place where the picket fence stops.

I'm so jealous! It looks like a lovely house to haunt and all of that space! I live in a subdivision where we have postage stamp sized yards! :(

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wonder if I can make some columns like that that break down into flat parts? I certainly have no room for them otherwise... but that picture looks bad arse.

I do plan on setting up the cemetery as usual. I am going to improve my MIB, not sure just what.

I doubt I will find the time to complete my 3-axis skull this year. Sigh...but I'll probably tackle it the last week. ;-)

I am motivated to do something with my projector, perhaps a living tombstone or something. I will use another projector for Hallowindow or something else upstairs. It was a huge hit in 2008.

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those pumpkins are awesome. I've wanted to do that for years... but wanted to use funkins. Maybe this year I'll get some cheapo Michael's pumpkins to make some generic jack o lanterns...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Just my two cents, but I would spend all night on 10-31 worrying about little kids knocking down the mason jars by accident, or them being knocked over and broken by a little girls princess dress or something... If I went that route, I would definitely put a pumpkin or SOMETHING over them, to stop them from being tipped.

And I agree with Terra on implementing Eeries Column and Facade idea.... your porch already has creepy architecture, so I might even just try to fit it with a foam facade to make it easier to store littler pieces later.

How much of the front area will you have to work with (the area between the white fence and the street)? I am assuming that is where the TOTs will be walking from, since there is no sidewalk... would be interesting to use that little area for something... This house just has so much space to work with, and so many possibilities!

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another reason this neighborhood has been great...

We moved into this house on October 24th. I think the first night we spent in the house was a few nights later.

Our neighbors had us over for the big Halloween bash... look at all the kids! That's just the ones in the picture..

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
If you want to build collapsable columns, built the four panels with hinges. The four sections connect with hinges (I use door hinges) and the first and fourth sides just come together by putting in the hinge pin. This allows the column to be pulled apart and stored flat.

If you're worried about seams, you add strips of 1x1 to each corner. This hides the seams and gives a more sturdy look to the column.

A good way to visualize (sorry I don't have a pic) is to think of a four panel privacy screen that you fold into a column.

I wonder if I can make some columns like that that break down into flat parts? I certainly have no room for them otherwise... but that picture looks bad arse.

I do plan on setting up the cemetery as usual. I am going to improve my MIB, not sure just what.

I doubt I will find the time to complete my 3-axis skull this year. Sigh...but I'll probably tackle it the last week. ;-)

I am motivated to do something with my projector, perhaps a living tombstone or something. I will use another projector for Hallowindow or something else upstairs. It was a huge hit in 2008.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts