Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all! I We missed out on Halloween 2019 as we moved from AZ to Southern MN in mid-October to buy our first home. We are basically starting from scratch this year as the only belongings we brought were what we could fit into a 6'x12' uhaul trailer. Our new home has a HUGE front yard (200+ feet of road frontage and roughly 45 ft deep from house to street - No trees) and while we have chosen our theme, we are having trouble coming up with enough prop/ scene ideas to fill the space. We know we are going with a huge graveyard and, of course, the Headless Horseman on his steed. We've thought about doing the facade of the Old Dutch Church, but still trying to figure out the logistics of that.
In our last home, we were known as The Halloween House in the neighborhood; I want to go big and establish our reputation here as well (didn't see many displays here in 2019). I am also feeling major Halloween withdrawals after having missed out on the 2019 season (I didn't even get to shop 馃槱)

Please share any ideas that you guys might have for scenes or prop builds.

THANK YOU!!!

EDITED TO ADD: We are looking at the TV show and movie, not the cartoon.

Original structure was built in the 1800s (still has the original log support beams in the basement!). First pic is from Google, the fence and yard toys are no longer there. Second pic is kind of dark and covered in snow, also a slightly different angle.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Original structure was built in the 1800s (still has the original log support beams in the basement!). First pic is from Google, the fence and yard toys are no longer there. Second pic is kind of dark and covered in snow, also a slightly different angle. (also adding to original post)

Registered
That's a huge area to plan for. I think first off I'd try to narrow down the design space somehow so that the eyes get drawn to a smaller area. Leaving some of it in the dark would help narrow the scene. Any chance you might be planting some trees in the front yard before halloween? The far right of the house looks like a great wall to maybe do a projection on that could be tied into the theme. Be careful where you plant things in the future so you leave yourself a good visual come halloween decorating. Off hand I would need to think about this a bit. Definitely challenging space being so large.

Registered
In the first photo there is a picket fence but in the second photo it appears the fence is gone - is this correct? Also, can you post a photo of where the walkway to the front door is?

Registered
My first suggestion is to talk to the neighbors and ask about the weather around Halloween. Ask if there is a frequency of snow, heavy rains, high winds, etc. Finding out what you may run in to might cause you to alter plans. Nothing is worse than watching mean ol' Mother Nature take down something in minutes when you planned it months in advance.

Registered
Hi all! I We missed out on Halloween 2019 as we moved from AZ to Southern MN in mid-October to buy our first home. We are basically starting from scratch this year as the only belongings we brought were what we could fit into a 6'x12' uhaul trailer. Our new home has a HUGE front yard (200+ feet of road frontage and roughly 45 ft deep from house to street - No trees) and while we have chosen our theme, we are having trouble coming up with enough prop/ scene ideas to fill the space. We know we are going with a huge graveyard and, of course, the Headless Horseman on his steed. We've thought about doing the facade of the Old Dutch Church, but still trying to figure out the logistics of that.
In our last home, we were known as The Halloween House in the neighborhood; I want to go big and establish our reputation here as well (didn't see many displays here in 2019). I am also feeling major Halloween withdrawals after having missed out on the 2019 season (I didn't even get to shop 馃槱)

THANK YOU!!!

Original structure was built in the 1800s (still has the original log support beams in the basement!). First pic is from Google, the fence and yard toys are no longer there. Second pic is kind of dark and covered in snow, also a slightly different angle.
View attachment 727626
View attachment 727625
To make the spaces seem smaller I would stack corn stalks up, inser hay in them t make them fuller around the yard in teepee style and throw some orange lighting inside them so they glow..start gathering about 6-8ft sticks now and place those thru out the yard with pumpkin heads..maybe a couple of scary crows..use sticks,..cheap..and get a roll of black plastic and cut it up and hang it on the stick figures..I'll include a diagram next post..

Registered

THANK YOU!!!

View attachment 727626
View attachment 727625
1. House--the right side of the house..you can turn into fake stables with some fake barn doors--styrofoam painted doors to the right of the window..you could even put a horse head in the window either a simple paper cut out and back lit..or a prop horse head looking like its sticking its head out..with some hay under it..

2.The two windows to the left of the main door you can have giant eyes looking out of them..black plastic on window with a couple of bowls held against the windows in the middle of them and eyes painted on bolws..and everything back lit...this way it will look like the eyes follow you.

3.The middle of the house where you have the two windows close together you could put a cross on top of the roof where the point is and turn it into a "church". You put your graveyard in front of that church...also a good place to hide a fog machine if you have a run down picket fence enclosing church graveyard.

4.Make a sign above the garage with something like 30 winks Inn.

5.You can turn the garage doors into a blackshop..complete with sign.."three hoof blacksmith"

6.Corn stalks thruout yard which will break up the landscape..scattered scare crows all over. This way it cuts the yard in half from the house to the road/stone wall.

7.Real question is do you want to have a headless horsemen horse?..if not then you can always use a sound effect--sound of horse galloping,running and slowing over near church yard.

Registered
I just had an idea that really isn't what the original poster requested, but thought I would share. Have a dance. Provide perhaps some costume items that are reminiscent of the period, that your guests can put on. Things like a wrap-around skirt to give the ladies a long dress. I have seen used rental tuxedos for under $20.

Actually, just now looking on Ebay, there were a lot of items that turn up when you search "steampunk", that are around $25, but more period.

The idea of a wrap-around skirt would be cheaper, and perhaps a vest for the men, rather than a coat. You would need a good range of sizes, and perhaps everyone in the audience doesn't get to borrow one. But, I think it would be a nice touch to at least let some of the audience be able to borrow such a piece of costume for a few minutes.

The idea would serve the purpose of a haunted house, in that people coming by, go in and experience your event. But, it is done in the form of making them part of the dance party. Then, after a certain amount of dance, the headless horseman appears, and then it is over.

-Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts