Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:DHey guys! I'm sort of, kind of starting over for 2015. A new look to my haunt, a new and exciting prop build, and I need some new help coming up with names and ideas. Okay...here goes...for 2015 I would like to change my whole yard to a graveyard, enclosed by a fence and have the house/front porch all covered with glowing ghosts...like 40 or 50. Seems kind of a big idea...but hey...go big, or go home, right?:D I have already purchased a big "hoss" of a black light fixture from blacklight.com, and it promises to be a butt-kicking black light. This should adequately bathe my entire front porch in black light glow. Insert ghosts, soaked in RIT ready to glow it up right.

And thanks to help from three of my forum friends, Bobzilla (Robert), Halstaff (Steve) and Dead Things (Pat) I will have an animated, interactive, talking, one of a kind skeleton!!! Robert purchased a Costco skeleton for me as the base for the build. Since he is all the way in California, and I am in NC, I mailed the money to him and he made the purchase for me. I had purchased a FrightProps talking skull back in 2010 and with the help of my friends, I should have a talking skeleton for 2015. I mailed the skull to Robert and Steve and they have begun their magic. Robert has taken the skeleton apart and is reconstructing the skeleton's whole body with original reworking of the bones. He is making the skeleton whimsical and Burtonisque and definitely one of a kind.

Steve has gutted the FrightProps skull and has added a metal "backbone" for him so that he can support the weight of the skull and the servos. Pat has agreed to help me come up with a soundtrack for the skeleton, with his extraordinary flair for fantastic...so it is underway. I would like to implore you fine Forum Peeps to help in coming up with a name for my haunt and maybe some ideas for my Whimsical, talking, one of a kind skeleton. He is going to talk to the TOT's as they enter the yard....I'd like something original, something to do with my cemetery, maybe even have cemetery in the name. Or something with ghosts....since there will be so many ghosts everywhere you look. Thanks a bunch (in advance) and here's some pictures to whet your whistle. :D

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:)Some work on the spine and other bones....Robert is using Apoxie Sculpt and although he just recently started working with that medium, he has already mastered it.

And here is a trial skull that Robert is trying different techniques and looks with. What we are going for is a Haunted Mansion meets Tim Burton kind of look. I want a skeleton that is creepy, yet whimsical, something a little bit different than anyone has done before.

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:)Keep in mind there is only ONE head...so deciding how he is going to look is really important. Robert is waiting for me to send some sketches, but he's trying different things during that time. We discussed have a crack in the "noggin" and I think that would be super cool. This is a built up crack using Apoxie Sculpt, but I think in the end, carving out some of the skull may be the way to go.

Not the best picture...but you get the idea.:D

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:DAny time feel free to chime in with name ideas, any thoughts on the skeleton look.... For the haunt/cemetery name I would like something that encompasses ghosts and hauntings. I'm creating a back story...I think something about unhallowed ground, an Indian curse, or something along those lines. :eek:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Digging the skeleton, it's coming out really nice so far! As far as the cemetery name goes, you could try something like "Ghost Valley Cemetery" or "Dreary Spirits Graveyard". Keep us updated with all the builds, looking forward to seeing it all come together :D

DHM

·
2,622 Posts
Here are a few more pics of the bones.
I've mostly finished with the extremities as far as the added Apoxie Sculpt goes.
I started the texturing process on the bones as well.
As you can see, I'm going for an over exaggeration and kind of whimsical look,opposed to anatomically correct.....duh! ;)
20141212_091900_8_bestshot.jpg

IMG_20141207_165747[1].jpg

IMG_20141206_211028[2].jpg

IMG_20141206_211138[1].jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
:DHey guys! I'm sort of, kind of starting over for 2015. A new look to my haunt, a new and exciting prop build, and I need some new help coming up with names and ideas. Okay...here goes...for 2015 I would like to change my whole yard to a graveyard, enclosed by a fence and have the house/front porch all covered with glowing ghosts...like 40 or 50. Seems kind of a big idea...but hey...go big, or go home, right?:D I have already purchased a big "hoss" of a black light fixture from blacklight.com, and it promises to be a butt-kicking black light. This should adequately bathe my entire front porch in black light glow. Insert ghosts, soaked in RIT ready to glow it up right. And thanks to help from three of my forum friends, Bobzilla (Robert), Halstaff (Steve) and Dead Things (Pat) I will have an animated, interactive, talking, one of a kind skeleton!!! Robert purchased a Costco skeleton for me as the base for the build. Since he is all the way in California, and I am in NC, I mailed the money to him and he made the purchase for me. I had purchased a FrightProps talking skull back in 2010 and with the help of my friends, I should have a talking skeleton for 2015. I mailed the skull to Robert and Steve and they have begun their magic. Robert has taken the skeleton apart and is reconstructing the skeleton's whole body with original reworking of the bones. He is making the skeleton whimsical and Burtonisque and definitely one of a kind. Steve has gutted the FrightProps skull and has added a metal "backbone" for him so that he can support the weight of the skull and the servos. Pat has agreed to help me come up with a soundtrack for the skeleton, with his extraordinary flair for fantastic...so it is underway. I would like to implore you fine Forum Peeps to help in coming up with a name for my haunt and maybe some ideas for my Whimsical, talking, one of a kind skeleton. He is going to talk to the TOT's as they enter the yard....I'd like something original, something to do with my cemetery, maybe even have cemetery in the name. Or something with ghosts....since there will be so many ghosts everywhere you look. Thanks a bunch (in advance) and here's some pictures to whet you whistle. :D
Down Yonder Cemetary or Hillbilly Hill Cemetary

·
2,622 Posts
This is my first try at using Apoxie Sculpt, and I love it!
Easy to work with.....yup. Easy clean up....yup. Sticks to almost everything and is permanent....yup :)
I'm no expert, but I likes it :D
Best thing since sliced bread :rolleyes:
P5 has more experience using it, so she may want to chime in as well.

This is really turning out cool! A proxy sculpt looks amazing. I had never heard of it. Is it easy to work with? What about clean up, does it stick to everything and is it permanent?

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:)Thanks guys! I will echo Bob's sentiments, Apoxie Sculpt is the shizzle! I started using it after I watched Bradgoodspeed's video on how to make/corpse foam skulls a few years ago. And I kind of fell in love with Apoxie Sculpt.

The only thing I don't love is that it is quite heavy. But it attaches to nearly anything, dries hard and you can drill it. I used it making the pumpkins for Halloween Countdown sign I created this year, (also on the skeleton tongue you see in the top left hand corner)

and I also used it for the shrunken heads I made for the Papa VooDoo build.

If you've never tried I highly recommend that you give it a try. It comes in part A and part B (I get it from Amazon)

and you just mix equal amounts of it until completely blended. You have about an hour or two work time, and you can add on to already dried Apoxie. If you are trying to blend in edges, a dab of water on your fingertip will blend any edges to perfection. Robert has done wonderful things with Apoxie and the bones on the skeleton. He has nailed the whimsical look I long for on this skeleton. Yay!

·
2,622 Posts
A few pics of the threaded metal rod Steve inserted into the spine to support the skull.The skull seems to be very well in proportion with the Costco skeleton torso.
Nothing I hate worse than a disproportionate head or body on a skeleton.....but that's just me. And a pic of the gutted skull, ready to be misshapen into??? :eek:

20141209_133108.jpg

20141209_133030.jpg

20141209_132955.jpg

20141209_165528.jpg

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:)Thank you for posting those Robert.:D Can I show the forum your latest pictures of the techniques on the skull?;)

1 - 20 of 242 Posts