Halloween Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am somewhat new to Halloween Forum. For the past three years I have put up a Halloween light show on my house drawing in lots of views on youtube and even being featured on Good Morning America.

This year I want to do something different. I want to create a legit haunt. Ive done smaller ones at my house but I want to rent a place for a couple months and build one.

My background is theatre, so, the one I was gonna build is going to be a little more theatrical and pretty basic.

I want to create a single room and have the guests sit on a couch dead center of the room. Im going to rig the room to do different things. Lights flickering with the music. Projections. noises from different places. I already have a few plans.

My questions are for those of you creating haunts out of a warehouse.

1. How big is the warehouse youre using?
2. How much do you pay for a month?
3. What state is it located in?
4. What kind of permits do you need to open the doors to your haunt?
5. And how long does your haunt run?

Thanks in advance!
Scott

·
Registered
123 Posts
Besides here, I would say a good resource to answer your questions is the JayCees. They've been doing haunted houses for years.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello All,

I am somewhat new to Halloween Forum. For the past three years I have put up a Halloween light show on my house drawing in lots of views on youtube and even being featured on Good Morning America.

This year I want to do something different. I want to create a legit haunt. Ive done smaller ones at my house but I want to rent a place for a couple months and build one.

My background is theatre, so, the one I was gonna build is going to be a little more theatrical and pretty basic.

I want to create a single room and have the guests sit on a couch dead center of the room. Im going to rig the room to do different things. Lights flickering with the music. Projections. noises from different places. I already have a few plans.

My questions are for those of you creating haunts out of a warehouse.

1. How big is the warehouse youre using?
2. How much do you pay for a month?
3. What state is it located in?
4. What kind of permits do you need to open the doors to your haunt?
5. And how long does your haunt run?

Thanks in advance!
Scott
Like you I have been in the Halloween biz for a while doing things here and there and I have finally decided to go to the big leagues.

Here is what I have been able to find so far...

1. How big is the warehouse youre using? I plan on using an abandoned grocery store
2. How much do you pay for a month? ?? Have not negotiated a price yet
3. What state is it located in? Florida
4. What kind of permits do you need to open the doors to your haunt? County Building Approval, County Fire Marshall Inspection, Inspection by a Building Inspector and Engineer
5. And how long does your haunt run? Its currently schedule to run for the last 3 weeks of October

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Just a note: You won't be paying for a month of rent. You'll want a month of operating time and at least a month for construction. Retail spaces don't let you have the space for free while you do the renovations.

Another thing to consider is parking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm planning on renting for about three months. I was wondering what people are spending per month. And yes, I have thought about parking. Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey There! Why not check with your local county fair board and work out a profit share? This way you have a well known location, plenty of parking, covered under their blanket insurance policy, utilities and signage. Plan B// Contact your local Chamber of Commerce. See what underused buildings that may be avail.
Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts