Halloween Forum banner
81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
What would you suggest as the best way to sync the Grim and the Squawker boards? I would like to have the Grim and Squawker do some banter.
Well the SQUAWKER TALKER just waits for an audio signal and GRIM needs a trigger, so there's two things that need to happen. You'll need to create two audio files for the banter, one for the parrot and one for GRIM. Create them so one has blank audio sections when the other is talking. Make sure they are properly synced and make them mono not stereo. Put GRIM's track on the SD card and use an audio player that can be triggered for the parrot. Last step, you'll need to trigger GRIM via the Try-Me port and trigger your audio player simultaneously. If your banter is more than 30 seconds, you'll need to retrigger GRIM to keep him moving (he will keep talking regardless).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a triggerable MP3 player input to the Squawker and a timing relay set for 32 seconds between closed pulses of 2 seconds that starts them both. My audio file lasts 1 minute and 20 seconds. The audio starts and runs correctly, and both start their movements. However, after 32 seconds, the Grim will not start moving again with another trigger input. It talks and the jaw moves for the last part, but that's all. I added a Dropbox link so you can see it.
Grim & Parrot

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I have a triggerable MP3 player input to the Squawker and a timing relay set for 32 seconds between closed pulses of 2 seconds that starts them both. My audio file lasts 1 minute and 20 seconds. The audio starts and runs correctly, and both start their movements. However, after 32 seconds, the Grim will not start moving again with another trigger input. It talks and the jaw moves for the last part, but that's all. I added a Dropbox link so you can see it.
Grim & Parrot
I see the long pause in GRIM's dialog, did you split the POTC track into two or is it one long track with a muted section?

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I see the long pause in GRIM's dialog, did you split the POTC track into two or is it one long track with a muted section?
I assume you're using the Try-Me port (switch center position) connected to the timer relay. Disconnect the timer relay and power up GRIM. Manually short the two leads from the Try-Me port for one second, wait 30 seconds and short the leads again for one second. GRIM should start moving again. If that checks out, then the problem is with the relay timer.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I have two relays, so I just hooked them up separately. Everything seems fine now.
Excellent! Just an FYI for anyone else following this, the wires from the Try-Me port of GRIM must be isolated from any other device. There is voltage from GRIM's circuit passing thru those wires.
An open switch, step pad, or the dry contacts of a relay are the only things that should be used with the Try-Me port.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts