Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Still working on the final board design but here's a few teaser pics of the first design. The new one will be the same size and very similar. First pic is the new board installed inside the pelvis. Second pic shows the existing board with two wiring harnesses switched over to the new board. There's two connectors that get unplugged from the existing board and plugged into the new board, then a pigtail harness from the new board gets plugged into the existing board. Pic #3 shows the pelvis back together with the existing board ready to secure back in place. You can also see on the left that a new volume control is installed (the existing volume control is no longer used). Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Microcontroller Electrical wiring

Passive circuit component Circuit component Green Light Resistor

White Light Circuit component Passive circuit component Electrical wiring

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

What are all the features of this added board? I believe you talked about changing the voice?
It has a built in mp3/wav player (MicroSD card) that allows you to use whatever audio files you want and auto syncs the jaw. It also allows all the original movements to function. The original PIR sensor and the Try Me connection will also still function.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked up two Grims from Spirit Halloween this past Saturday.
I am interested in this board and how to make it work?
Is it a simple plug and play?
Yes it is plug and play. You just need to be able to put your audio files on a MicroSD card. The final version of this board is not available yet but it will be soon.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wanted to mention that I disconnected the LED's for the eyes, I hate light up eyes. That being said, here's a quick run down on how this works. The original PIR or the Try Me connection (step pad or any normally open switch or relay) will trigger a movement sequence which triggers the new board to play the next file on the MicroSD card. The original sequences are all about 24 seconds. So once triggered, the audio file on the SD card will play until done, no matter how long it is, BUT, the 3-axis movements as well as the arm and torso, will only move for about 24 seconds unless another trigger is executed. So the ideal length for your audio files is 24 to 30 seconds. If your audio file is longer than that and you're using the PIR, it will automatically re-trigger another 24 seconds of movements if it detects a warm body moving about. If you are using LOR or some other software to trigger a relay, then you can program triggers for audio that is longer than 24 seconds. Of course the jaw will continue to work as long as the audio is playing regardless if the other movements have stopped.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I should have the Revision B boards by the end of this week. I'll put one together and do some final testing which should go smoothly (fingers crossed!). Then it's on to compiling the documentation which is a bit tedious. I've decided to include a high quality Class 10 Sandisk 16GB MicroSD card that will have the POTC Deadmen file already on it (for testing). This way everyone will be ready to go and I don't have to worry about potential problems caused by a sub standard SD card. I'm going to include the Sandisk card for my cost which is $5. So the final price will be $104 plus shipping.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Please add me to your list of pre-orders. he is a good prop and with one of your boards it would be great.

just asking, have you put any thought into also controlling the other movements in the prop? Sort of like an Octobanger show system? Or do you think the Octobanger can be added for more complete control?

I combined both, Octobanger and Squawkers, on a prop I built from scratch but hacking the arms, torso, head and eyes could be really cool.
Well that's kinda the beauty of this hack, it syncs the jaw to any audio while allowing all the other movements to function on their own without any programming. The stock movements are pretty good so no need to reinvent the wheel. There's 5 servos in the skull, a motor for the arm, and a motor for the torso. Those motors function in both directions. All of this is way beyond the Octobanger's capabilities. So to sum it up, this is a true plug & play board, no soldering, no wire cutting, and no programming, which allows basically anyone to install this hack. 😉

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Put me down for 2 please is there a max time on the audio? Like a song? Thanks
No time limit on the audio but keep in mind that if you are using the existing PIR or the Try-Me port to trigger GRIM, the 3-axis, arm, torso movements, and the LED eyes will only run for about 24 seconds unless it gets triggered again. The jaw will continue as long as the audio file plays. That being said, there are easy ways to keep the other movements going if you are using some type of show control or a remote to trigger GRIM. One of the easiest ways would be to set the mode switch to demo and turn on GRIM's power supply when you want him to perform and switch off the power supply when the audio is finished. The demo mode will keep him moving with just a 2 second pause about every 24 seconds. Also keep in mind that audio with music may need to be edited so the jaw only reacts to vocals. Subtle background sounds are sometimes OK without editing.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
But, Halloween is only 356 days away! 😱
It'll be here before you know it! Put in a 10 hour day today compiling the documentation. I think it's done but then again, my eyes are a bit wacky from staring at my PC all day. I'll proof read it tomorrow after my peepers get some rest. 😴

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Just to let everyone know, I have the documentation completed and I have 4 GRIM TALKERS put together, tested, and ready to ship. I sent PM's to the first few people that said they wanted one and I'll be contacting everyone on the list from top to bottom as I get more of these built and tested so if you've already posted that you want one (or two) there's no need to contact me. I just need some time to get more of them built, I don't wanna get bombarded with orders all at once. :LOL:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts