Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all, my name's Charles, and I hail from upstate NY (southern tier area). I've always loved the time of year centering around this wonderful holiday. Unfortunately I was only able to do things for kids when I worked in the office, which has now gone the wayside since the pandemic shifted us to work at home. But...I found a place that I think will serve as a great backdrop to finally put some good props to use, and in the middle of a town where I can enjoy the sights of all the neighborhood kids coming for treats. Now, I just need to find some great ideas and figure out how to make it a great first year there.

Might need some extra cobwebs added, but... think it'll work? (and yes, I really did actually buy this house!)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Looks like the covered porch can safely keep animatronics out of the weather, and you've got nice big windows to display even more. Spook lighting is a cheap but very effective requirement. Some colored spots washing those walls would look great! And, yes to the cobwebs. As cool as the house is, remember that is your keystone. You've got some trees and a nice flat space for ghosts, goblins, witches or a graveyard that the kiddies must pass to get there. I'm waiting to hear other ideas, and to see it when you're done. Post pictures and happy haunting!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The house had been sitting neglected, unoccupied for the better part of 12 years or more. Massive hole in the one side of the roof for who knows how long, but the bones (no pun intended) are still solid. Just a little more support to be added in the cellar and get the roof replaced (easier said than done, but aiming to do it before winter if I can). I've started working on gutting the inside to prep for things, the idea is to get it down to as much as I can in order to route all new electric and plumbing, to get the electric on before October for obvious reasons. I originally was thinking just a couple props on the porch and front yard area which I hope is grown in by then lol. But then I realized... I can make it a walk-through, right into the front door, in and around and back out the door on the side with the driveway (not visible in the photo). There's room immediately in the door to the left for a scare, there's a door immediately to the right that can house a spooky room (the two windows on the first floor), then there's a short hallway primed for draperies and whatnot, which has another room good for well, goodies, then turn right through a doorway into the room on the side which can serve as the exitway, and reward station and then out the door. It'll be short and simple likely, but at least it won't just be a "step up and get your candy and gtfo" house.

I'll add more in another thread so as to not derail the intro one, but to say I'm eager would be an understatement lol

·
Registered
14,834 Posts
Wow that’s some rehab project there and a very cool looking house for halloween decorating. Will be watching your post to see how the project goes.

Hope you will consider starting a thread once you get going showing how things progress. One of our members here took his NWPacific(?) house, remodeled it and added turrets and other cool architecture to it with Halloween in mind. Quite a lengthy thread and fascinating to follow.

·
Registered
119 Posts
A dozen years ago, this ex-pat New Yorker returned to do grad work at Cornell. Your photo made me homesick. :D

In my opinion, this has great Haunted Mansion potential. I hate to be the fungus in your pumpkin, but you may want to wait until 2023 to make a big debut. Getting a place up to code takes time, especially with all the current supply chain issues. And opening your house to visitors opens you to potential risks. (Free advice: Don't scrimp on electrical work. You'll need those extra watts every October. 🎃) For this year, you may want to keep the kids outside, exploit all that window space with some AtmosFear effects, and cemetery your front yard. (Yes, I just made "cemetery" a verb.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A dozen years ago, this ex-pat New Yorker returned to do grad work at Cornell. Your photo made me homesick. :D

In my opinion, this has great Haunted Mansion potential. I hate to be the fungus in your pumpkin, but you may want to wait until 2023 to make a big debut. Getting a place up to code takes time, especially with all the current supply chain issues. And opening your house to visitors opens you to potential risks. (Free advice: Don't scrimp on electrical work. You'll need those extra watts every October. 🎃) For this year, you may want to keep the kids outside, exploit all that window space with some AtmosFear effects, and cemetery your front yard. (Yes, I just made "cemetery" a verb.)
Totally feel your concerns. My immediate plans through summer, are a new roof (last weekend I reinforced a lot of it and covered a major hole in the roof, but I want to replace it before winter), gutted walls, and new electrical top to bottom at the very least. My next hurdle is trying to get a sensical answer from the electric company regarding a new meter socket for outside and what is accepted. Everything else is being worked on in my free time after work and weekends. Structurally, it's surprisingly sound especially the foundation with the exception of one beam that needs replacing (already underway with that project). Obviously though, as you've mentioned, if it's not 110% safe to walk through the areas intended (not the whole house, the plan is basically in the front door, down the short hallway into an open room where I want to have something set up, make a right through a doorway into the neighboring room with another set and the exit to the side, which leads back towards the sidewalk. I'm trying to work out how I'll arrange everything, and make plans for where to set things up, so that I can delay the setup for as long as possible while doing the work, so there's no extra dust or debris anywhere (unintentionally at least).

And if all else fails, I have enough room outside to just put up some fencing, lights and spooky things and just place the props outside along it for the night. Oh, and I definitely need to invest in the REGULAR SIZE candy bar stash!

·
Registered
314 Posts
What a beautiful house (and a great place for a haunt). I see so many gorgeous old homes, knowing there is all that lovely, built-to-last workmanship inside, and want to save all of them. If I win the lottery, just might do that.

An old house is an awesome backdrop for Halloween and would also be a super fun place to throw a Halloween party.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good evening all, my name's Charles, and I hail from upstate NY (southern tier area). I've always loved the time of year centering around this wonderful holiday. Unfortunately I was only able to do things for kids when I worked in the office, which has now gone the wayside since the pandemic shifted us to work at home. But...I found a place that I think will serve as a great backdrop to finally put some good props to use, and in the middle of a town where I can enjoy the sights of all the neighborhood kids coming for treats. Now, I just need to find some great ideas and figure out how to make it a great first year there.

Might need some extra cobwebs added, but... think it'll work? (and yes, I really did actually buy this house!)

View attachment 760781
i believe I know that house, always glad when someone buys one of the awesome houses in the Upstate area. Have fun with the decorating!

·
Registered
329 Posts
That house is gorgeous! I wouldn’t go too crazy outside with so many things … I would definitely want to play off the house rather than cover it up or take away from it. Some lighting fog and defiantly a cemetery! Maybe so cool black metal looking (pvc pipe) fencing.
I totally look forward to following your thread of Your progress.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not gonna lie, I'm torn at the prospect of painting the house. As much as it needs it, and to help brighten it up as the cornerstone of the street, it feels just so out of the spirit to do so!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts