Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing Halloween displays and Haunted houses for years now. I usually try to change it up or add something new every year. This next year I want to create animated zombies that can dance to music. So I'm gonna need some pointers.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
"Pointers".. First learn to dance, then learn to play a musical instrument. now do this all in front of a full-length mirror.
Confused? OK, lay a cloth or towel over the top of the mirror to hide your face. this will make you concentrate more on the rest of your dancing, singing body so you may begin to realize what it might take to replicate such movements in a physical structure of a body that you wish to build and make move.
Subtle movements best "reads" as "Real" to most of us.. Plan for smaller motions,moving slower..
1/16th inch steel cable and hardware store hinges work well . A stopper system for the limb's joints will be very important for any real realism to happen. how you go about making this happen might get tricky.
Whatever "Body" you make will become heavier than you expected it to be. Have a good, strong system figured out to make if impervious to a slight bump or gust of wind because these minor things will cause something to happen if the unit is off-balance,even if it's heavy as a Tank.along with the limbs moving, shifting the center of gravity from here to there..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Pointers".. First learn to dance, then learn to play a musical instrument. now do this all in front of a full-length mirror.
Confused? OK, lay a cloth or towel over the top of the mirror to hide your face. this will make you concentrate more on the rest of your dancing, singing body so you may begin to realize what it might take to replicate such movements in a physical structure of a body that you wish to build and make move.
Subtle movements best "reads" as "Real" to most of us.. Plan for smaller motions,moving slower..
1/16th inch steel cable and hardware store hinges work well . A stopper system for the limb's joints will be very important for any real realism to happen. how you go about making this happen might get tricky.
Whatever "Body" you make will become heavier than you expected it to be. Have a good, strong system figured out to make if impervious to a slight bump or gust of wind because these minor things will cause something to happen if the unit is off-balance,even if it's heavy as a Tank.along with the limbs moving, shifting the center of gravity from here to there..
Interesting....I was thinking of going as light weight as possible. Possibly a lightweight aluminum frame for the body. So I could use small servo motors to give it movement. My plan is to use the Light O Rama to synchronize those movements to the music. Mounting the frame of the body on a pole going down to a platform for stability. I need to first figure out the simple movements of the limbs and then I'll work on the timing with the song. I have to be able to raise and lower the arms at a fast enough speed or it wouldn't be able to keep up with the song. The arms are going to have to be able to raise above the head. The waist is gonna have to be able to turn all the way to the left and right. The legs will have to be able to move up and down at the hip and probably could just dangle at the knee. I would like the leg to be able to move as if it's stepping to the left and right but I'm not sure how I would get that movement. Still a lot to think about.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Welcome to the forum, bshmerlie! Seems like all the haunters on this site that are in Cali have amazing weather for the haunt season, looking forward to seeing your display!

Best,

DHM

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I talked with a guy a Servo City and a similar project was recently done so he's able to help me figure out which servos I'm gonna need. I'll post pictures as I go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts