Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Haunters! The big day approaches!

Wanted to share my new Floating Candelabra prop. To set the stage.... this will be placed outside and will float over a long table which will sit at top of my driveway with a skeleton bride on one end and me (in costume) on the other (which is the end the ToT's MUST walk past - hehe). All but the Candelabra will be hidden behind dark drapes hanging down at the entrance to our carport.

This link is the night shot of the candelabra....(sorry about the camera flip halfway through)
FloatingCandelabra.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is what makes it move and float....(all hidden behind black curtains)
Candelabrasupportandmotors.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Extra video of what makes the fan turn on & off to give random movements...
CandelabrafanandRepeatCycleTimer.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Special thanks goes out to ghost-songs for the inspiration and technical know-how!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Laurie & Shrimp, Thanks for the feedback. Tonight I am going to put this outside for any final "tweaking" or lighting adjustment.

BTW...lauriebeast....always meant to tell ya how incredible your Frankenstein Bride looks. She's just incredible.

·
Mourning Rose Manor
2,318 Posts
HauntedPumpkin - that looks really great. I've always wanted to do that, so thanks for the great video. I'll have to show this to my husband....maybe he'll get interested in doing it for next year. Beautiful job!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GDfreak, It put together like any prop though there were a few challenges...

1) for me the only part that really took time & extra effort was the motor assembly, specifically the attachment of the fan and flat aluminum bar it sits on to the post of the 7RPM motor inside the black PVC cap. Everything else was relatively easy.

2) the two end have to balance so I had to wire everything up then see where I needed to add a penny or old key on the front or back of the bar. That really wasn't a challenge though so maybe just #1 above was the biggest task.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Buckaneerdude, I used a small 1.5" long x 1 1/16 " gear motor I picked up cheap online at a suplus website. It's a 6-12 VDC motor that spins at 7 RPM @ 12 VDC. It doesn't have a Make on it so not sure who manufactured it. The key is to keep the RPM's down and the size of the motor small (to keep the weight down and so it fits inside the PVC endcap). In the last video you can see the Repeat Cycle Timer that turns the fan on & off at set intervals which gives it its randomness.

The motor does give off more sound than I would want but when outside with everything else that is going on it gets drowned out.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update......I took a nighttime shot of the Floating Candelabra with the rest of the scene and attached it below. It is a little blurred since I must have twitched my arm while taking the pic but you can still see how it looks. It 'floats' over the table with the Skeleton Bride next to a flickering lamp.

Image of Bride & Floating Candelabra - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
Registered
955 Posts
Just curious.

The motor is pretty noisy. Why not use a solenoid to control direction. You could wire two micro switches at the pivot point. Use a spring loaded nylon pivot with two detent points. An actuator arm on a one way bearing will allow the solenoid to pop the fan to one side detent. When it gets to the other side the other micro will fire the solenoid and pop the fan to the opposite detent. No noise other than the pancake fan and the quick click from the solenoid. You could use another repeat cycle timer to fire the solenoid and that would really add to the random movement. No micros required. Adding more detents and setting the solenoid throw to match the detent spacing will allow the pancake fan to effect the vertical and horizontal movement to a larger degree. If you can set your timer to random cycling, you could really get an amazing effect. I decided to edit this further. Using the timer, you really don't need detents. Just allow the solenoid to move the actuator arm a set amount. Your pivot for the fan will need to be set with a brake load. Then if your your timer can pulse randomly, then the fan will rotate in no predetermined pattern. You could also use a small gear motor with a random pattern cam on it and use a micro to fire the solenoid. With the fan going on and off and the solenoid firing and various intervals, that candellabra is gonna be doing the Irish gig out in space.

Spinman

1 - 12 of 12 Posts