Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my latest electric chair prop that I built this weekend.
YouTube - Electric Chair2
I bought the Shocker Electric Chair kit from Haunted Ventures
ANIMATED PROPS, PNEUMATIC PROPS, MECHANICAL PROPS - The Haunter's Depot - Haunted House Supplies, Decorations, Props, Animatronics, Changing Portraits, Horror Props, Costumes, Masks, Special Effects, Makeup, Halloween
I built the electric chair from 2x3 and 2x8 lumber for a cost of around $25
I mounted an old orbital sander under the seat to make a great electrical sound. The dvd that comes with the kit is totally useless in my opinion. It has a dumb video of an electric current and some flashing lights. COME ON! The instructions tell you to have someone acting as the executioner using a DVD player remote control and push play when ready to run the video clip.
The kit came with cool looking probes that I attached to the top of the chair. The probe for the top of the power unit is pretty lame.
It is only half a probe and is pretty useless.
Instead, I used a plasma light ball. The front panel of for the power unit is pretty good. The front panel was attached to an old plastic garbage can the I painted metallic. It has blinking Christmas lights.

I am using a motion detector which will trigger the plasma lights on top of the power unit and the green one mounted on top of the chair. It will also trigger the orbital sander. The stribe light will run continuosly.

The last part of the video shows my daughter doing the fake electric chair act. She needs a few acting lessons but get the point.

Tomorrow I will post some detail photos of the chair and the power unit.

Hope you like it !

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the actor pretending to be a pneumatic prop, then jumping up is gonna scare everyone pretty good!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Love it! Sweet job on the chair. Man, I just LUUUUVS a good electrocution room! First room I ever built for a pro/charity haunt. Had a blast.

Should I use a fogger trigger by the motion detector underneath the chair?
I always thought it looked cooler coming out from behind the torso, fanned out or directed at a surface like a pie plate that'll make it billow out 360 degrees. That way it frames the area where their attention's focused... with that plasma ball and that noise, that'll be off the hook!

Your daughter has the prop-imitation thing down great! Maybe a bit more assertiveness on the attack :) but she kept the arms parallel and had that prop-rocking movement down. Sun Tzu would approve... it's all about the deception heh

Hey I just thought you could find yourself some good transformer hum noise and set up an ambient sound loop on an mp3 player. The best electrocution rooms I've seen, acted in, or built were really sold by the sound.

But that chair is where it's at! Sweet.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about triggering an mp3 sound byte white the electric chair is on.
But once I got the sander mounted, I decided I didnt need it.
The video doesnt do the sound justice. The sander with the tupperware bowl mounted to it makes a very realistic electrical hum sound.

I still might play a lower volume electrical hum in the background and just let it keep loop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts