Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you know one of my themes I’ve been working on (had hoped before Covid to do this year) is Dinosaur related. I know others here have a similar interest and have bought the Home Depot etc skeleton dinos as well. Saw a trailer and article on a new show the Discovery Channel will premier on June 19 called “Dino Hunters”. Looks interesting from a Dinosaur fossil perspective, albeit sure it will be somewhat dramatized for tv purposes. I would have loved to have gone to the badlands on some dig as a college student. Anyway here’s the info on the show.

BTW the Montana Supreme Court recently ruled that fossils are not considered by the law as minerals so landowners retain the rights to find them and recover them, as opposed to those that may have mineral rights below the ground on the same property.

·
Registered
13,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I can't imagine how cool it would be to be that kid living on ranch property and going out and finding all kinds of dinosaur bones on your property. Will be interesting to see if they find a more or less full dino at that one dig on their cousin's property. Had hoped the other group would have found more of the triceratops than just that horn piece but that was an impressive fossil length all the same.

The show does make a point of how much more difficult ranching is these days, with covid especially I would think, so bone hunting helps supplement their income to keep their ranches going. And it points out that if they want to hold out for top dollar on some of the more complete dinosaurs they find, it can take years before they find a buyer. Would guess the show being produced for Discovery is helping bring in some money to them from the filming as well. Mostly the show from my impression is about the searching, recovery and identifying what is found at least based on this first episode. It was interesting to see the kind of work that goes into cleaning and restoring the bones. When I was in my 20s I looked into signing up for working on a dig. Never did, but seeing this have regrets I didn't.

I hope the show is watched by families and more kids get excited by it. So many science disciplines are involved in the study of fossils beyond the field work such as understanding geography, geology, anatomy, and more recently work in mass spectrometry as they look inside the bones. You never know where a kid's interest in dinosaurs might lead them. I hope my dino haunted museum/lab/park eventually inspires some of my neighborhood kids.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts