Halloween Forum banner

New Design Coming out for 3 Axis Skull!

Electronic/Software: 
4K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  gym_ghost 
#1 ·
There have been a lot of people asking about ordering more kits from Graveyard Madness (Joel). For those of you who want to order more kits from Graveyard Madness, the store will re-open sometime in Mid November. We will take orders again for the existing kits and start filling orders that have been emailed.

I (HalloweenBob) will be taking over most of the 3 Axis Skull division going forward to help take the load off of Joel.

Just a note, I have presented Joel with a prototype skull with major design changes that should be ready about Mid February. This should solve a lot of issues and also make the kits easier to put together and not require much, if any tweaking or adjustmants. This will also make routines much more transferrable.

In any case, starting Mid November, you will be able to order the old version, but the new design should be out in Mid February.

This is just a heads up as we have been getting a lot of email asking about it.

#3 ·
Are one of the changes the addition of working eyes ? Thought i read somewhere here that may be in the works. Will be waiting for the mid feb "series".
Many thanks to you both,Joel & Halloweenbob for helping us bring the "deadheads" to life !! LOL

#4 ·
2 axis eyes are in the works for next season. They almost made it out for this year. Stay tuned for more announcements as time goes on.

For the immediate future, we plan on focusing on a new design for the 3 axis. We still plan on using commercially available skulls.

More info will be released on this project as the testing continues. Right now, it is still in R & D.

#8 ·
I am so sorry for the lack of attention and details to this matter. This Halloween was very hectic to say the least. On top of that, our estore system stop working 3 weeks prior to Halloween with about 10 orders still pending. We’re in the process of reloading this software so we can start to take orders over the internet.

With all of the being said; Bob and I have been working very closely with the 3-axis skull project for both the lindberg and bucky. Although the current design works flawlessly with the Lindberg, we did encounter some major issues with the Bucky. The major issues include servos failing, excessive weight because of how the skull was mounted to the skeleton, and jaw movement. On top of that, you cannot take one routine from the Lindberg and use it on the bucky without some editing. And you can’t just replace a bucky skull without doing some calibration on the servos and or some light editing. Trust me, I found this out the hard way October 30, and October 31.

So, both Bob and I have been discussing new design concepts and think we have one that will work. This new design will rid the skull of two servo ball and joint hook ups. We may even be able to apply it to all three movements; nod, tilt, and rotate. When we get this new design working, issues of editing your routines and doing major calibration should all be gone. Plus it will be easier to assemble and adjust. With this new design, two of the servo placements will be moved to another location.

At this point in time, we don’t have any costing data and do not have an exact time when this will all be wrapped up. We’re expecting some time in February 2009.

Now, regarding the eye axis kit – I am back in full swing with finalizing the design. Prior to Halloween I had six working sets and all six held up with some props in Las Vegas. At this time, I am going to reevaluate some of the assembly requirements to see if I can make it easier. Plus, I am trying to come up with a method as to drill the eyes dead center to the eye cornea. I found out if even off by .025, it is very noticeable.

The store will be open November 19 for the old configuration.

Beyond that, Halloween was a great success and I have over 500 ToT and 3,500 visitors Halloween Night. Unfortunately, all of our video is missing (we misplaced the DVD disc). Pictures will be fourth coming soon.

Thanks
Graveyardmadness

#10 ·
No, both models will be re-done.

The Lindberg models did not incurr any damage due to their light weight, but the new design will improve their performance, and make routines be more interchangable and universal without modification.

#14 ·
I purchased 3 of the Kmart Skulls and did some testing and such this morning. They are blow mold skulls and for the price $5.00, you cant beat them. They average 18 oz differance from the Lindberg.

testing included drop test, spin test, chemical test and an assembly test. Drop test cause one to crack at the weld seam from 3'. We did some rapid testing on it and it held up okay. Chemical test - some paints will cause the plastic to become sticky. The assembly test, we added the guts of our product to the inside and it went okay. Could the plate use some modifications - yes.. Beyond that, it held up okay.

Dr. M. is right with the plates fitting okay and such. Thus, all our components will work for them. But I have found this to be true with several other skulls out there in the market.

The Lindberg and Bucky will be are primary skulls and I have no intentions of including the Kmart Skull (that is not to say it wont change in the future.) I did contact the manufacturer of the skull to get a cost on 1,000. So we will see how that works out.

graveyardmadness

#15 ·
I've not built one yet but have been watching those who have and the related discussions. Your kit is on my wish list for next year ( I take the path of least resistance and avoid reinventing the wheel if I can) It just seems that the Bucky has weight and space issues especially if you want to add moving eyes. The linberg seems to fair better in these areas but is not perfect either. any way glad your on top of it and I'll continue to lurk, listen and learn.!

#17 ·
Dr. Morbius,
The Kmart skull is a great skull for this type of application. Regrettably, it does not meet my standards. Thus, I have NO INTENTIIONS OF BUILDING THIS SKULL CONFIGURATION.

I contacted the manufacturer to see what other products they have and to quote me on a design I have for a skull. First, they do manufacturer three other skulls but these too do not meet my requirements. To quote on my design, they want an initial run of 10,000 pieces. This I cant do or wont do.

Regardless, I wish you all the success with your venture and I apologize for th confusion my previous post caused.

Joel Briggs
Graveyardmadness

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.