Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to make another crypt this year to replace my other crypt. This one will be different, the top will spin. Was hoping someone could give me a few tips how to either have the crypt's top lighter or a good way to make to make it spin without any issues. Already gotte a few ideas but I thought I would ask here just incase there were any more good ideas.

I am also making a groundbreaker which kind of looks like the old twisted guy from The Unborn movie. I started on it this weekend no pictures yet.

This is the rough draft of my crypt. The top part will spin.

This is my point of ref for my ground breaker.

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
Could you put casters on the top, then just have it roll around a track on the top inside edge. Should move freely enough no matter how heavy it is.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe. How would that be setup? Or how do I incorperate that into the design of the crypt to make the whole thing not shake?

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
Are you looking to have the whole top rotate, or the the overhanging ledge?

either way, you'll need a minimun of 3 casters (the more the better I would suggest using at least 8 casters). Mount them equally spaced in a circle upside down on the top of the stationary bottom crypt close to the outer edge of the crypt. Mount a pipe in the center. Build your top that rotates using a flat sheet of plywood as the base with a PVC sleeve in the center that'll slip over the pipe attached to the crypt bottom. The plywood will rest on the rollers and should rotate easily around the pipe. Just like a large lazy susan. ;)

·
Registered
591 Posts
How about some like this looking from the top visilize a star of david made out of PVC, where each point would be a caster, on top of the pvc is plywood and on top the plywood is your top.now fasten the plyood to the pvc using pipe hangers (They look like a U) or plumbers tape with the pvc in the U and the top of the U fastened to the plywood.then you can attach to the X middle of the star a shaft and then a wiper motor and it would rotate.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why do I have a feeling you guys have done this before. I am thinking only the overhang will be moving. That is the part with the spikes on it. Also I was hoping not to put anything in the center, like a another pipe etc because I was hoping to put a FCG in the middle. So when I say nothing in the middle, I mean anything that would stop me from putting a FCG in the doorway.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about some like this looking from the top visilize a star of david made out of PVC, where each point would be a caster, on top of the pvc is plywood and on top the plywood is your top.now fasten the plyood to the pvc using pipe hangers (They look like a U) or plumbers tape with the pvc in the U and the top of the U fastened to the plywood.then you can attach to the X middle of the star a shaft and then a wiper motor and it would rotate.
How are you holding up the pvc pipe in your design. Not sure I understand.

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
If you just want the middle spiked section to move you might use a friction wheel set up. Cut a plywood ring or donut for the spike section. You'll need some type of track or roller set up to rest it on. Mount a rubber wheel to your motor, mount the motor on a hinge and use a spring for tension (to pull it down on the ring) Mount the motor unit so only the wheel rests on the ring and the motor/hinge is mounts to the fixed part of the crypt. The hard part of this is coming up with a track that will allow the ring to turn freely but will keep it in place.

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
Here is a sketch which would allow you to mount the casters outside the crypt wall and build a spiked ring that would rotate around it. I would suggest 6 - 8 of these caster mounts for an even support. Then you just need to build a plywood ring that rides on the vertical casters and the inside diameter rides along the casters mounted to the crypt wall. Then just add material/foam board to the plywood to make your spiked ledge.

·
Registered
299 Posts
If the entire top dome is being built out of foam or another light-weight material, it could be rotated by one of those heavy-duty rotating Christmas tree stands. They are rated to 150 pds of load and have about a 2-3 rpm turn speed. Build the top with a center mounted shaft (think something along the lines of an umbrella) and mount the stand to the roof of the lower section.

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
If the entire top dome is being built out of foam or another light-weight material, it could be rotated by one of those heavy-duty rotating Christmas tree stands. They are rated to 150 pds of load and have about a 2-3 rpm turn speed. Build the top with a center mounted shaft (think something along the lines of an umbrella) and mount the stand to the roof of the lower section.
Quick correction: It turns 3/4 - 1 RPM (very, very slow). This could be a good solution.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually I got one of those tree stands in a garage sale. It was so heavy, I don't think it would work with this. Unless the new ones are a lot lighter. But is a very good idea. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is kind of the way I was thinking I would do the wheel. Basic view anyway. My girlfriend reminded me that I was also thinking about making a witch as well and that I didn't have enough to build both. So pick one she says. I am not sure yet.

·
Registered
591 Posts
This is kind of the way I was thinking I would do the wheel. Basic view anyway. My girlfriend reminded me that I was also thinking about making a witch as well and that I didn't have enough to build both. So pick one she says. I am not sure yet.

going with that design make the "wheel"more like a donut the center open then with a wiper motor fit a shaft onto the motor and then the wheel to power it.and then do the casters like the pod drewto keep it alined and able to easily rotate.making it like a donut will cut down on weight and you can make the "wheel"or ring by using board little wider than you'll need then cut the ends of each board resting flat the thin way at 45 degrees fasten the ends together then cut the out side of all the fastened together boards into one big circle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts