Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello – I occasionally do some local craft shows and was looking for something to draw attention to my booth. I have a 3-axis talking skull and thought that it would do the trick. The area I live in is big on pirates so I dressed my skull up as one and named him Billy NoLegs – Ha! Now my problem was how to control it so I set upon building an all-in-one controller. I wanted this controller to be easy to set up and totally self-contained (no computer or external speakers), had to run on 12VDC (i.e., a car battery or standard wall-wart-type power supply) and had to deliver several messages using a wireless trigger. After several weeks, I came up with the perfect solution. First, I designed and built a MP3 playback board that could be triggered by a 4-button wireless remote. I set it up such that when I pressed button #1, it would play clip #1. Press #2, play clip #2 and press #3 to play clip #3. When I pressed button #4, it would cycle through 10 additional clips, one at a time. I had clips 1, 2 & 3 say some introductory things relating to my booth (I can select them at any time) and the other 10 clips were just simple pirate jokes. Works perfectly. I had the output from this going to a Sound-to-Servo board to convert the audio to mouth movement on my skull. I also added a 3W amplifier circuit on the board so that it would directly power a speaker mounted inside the enclosure. I then built a 3-axis random servo controller that would randomly move my skull around (like he was looking around the room). This meant that the movement was not choreographed, but it still is a very good effect (and NO programming!). Finally, used my laser cutter and made a nice wooden enclosure to house everything in. Here is a link to my Photobucket album that shows several pictures of the controller and videos of Billy delivering his messages / jokes:

http://s1006.photobucket.com/user/jwheat058/library/Billy NoLegs Pirate Talking Skull

Can’t wait to try it out! Enjoy!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Nicely done. I like that it's really fluid and not jittery. Don't link to this or post it in the "were all doing a pirate theme next year" thread. Unless you want a lot of kudos and PM's about price to make one. Lol.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Icepick - Thanks for the compliments. My skull is a version of the 1st generation GYS (now defunct?) skull. I made several improvements that "tightened" it up and made it more robust. Still doesn't have the wide range of motion as some of the other skulls out there, but I'm very happy with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts