Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been getting inspired aka stealing ideas from the forums for awhile now and though I should share my new props for 2016. I am making 2 haunted trees for the graveyard this year to add some height. I made them out of concrete tubes from the big box hardware store. I had to use 2 four foot tubes to get the 8 foot I wanted. I used 1x3's glued and screwed to the tubes to keep them together. Then used spray foam for the texture on the outside. 7-8 cans of sprayfoam later and I have a tree. Also I have been working on tombstones. I was across the street from my house at a graveyard and noticed a portrait tombstone just got put in. I really like the unliving portrait form ATMOSFX and thought I could combined the two together. Please comment and give any critiques you have. I can always use advise to improve my props. Thanks

I have just finished building the tree and put on one coat of primer. Please give me your honest opinion about the color of brown, I didn't want to paint the whole thing if i need to darken the brown up, also what about the tree limbs location. My wife told me I needed to move the limbs down to the face. Please help me out. Thanks

20160801_203328[1].jpg
20160801_203336[1].jpg
20160801_203345[1].jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
The Tree looks awesome, great idea on the tubes and foam.... it should look good. You said your adding branches as arms.....
are you going to add any leaves on top or leave it open?
For the tombstone I haven't seen anything like that before.... here is a suggestion, how about going with the video or picture
as black and white and you can maybe add the old film feature to it so it looks really aged. Just a thought.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to leave the top open but I might experiment with leaves a little bit. I definitely will use black and white for the picture now. I didn't think of that. Thanks

·
Registered
628 Posts
Very cool idea. My only change would be to flare out the bottom so it looks like roots. Maybe some pool noodles blended in and fastened to a square of plywood.
Face, texture, everything looks great. Another idea well worth stealing.
Post some pics after painting please.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny you said that. I have mounted the tree and sprayed some roots out of great stuff foam. I noticed it looked too skinny and my daughter suggested to me roots.

·
Registered
476 Posts
looks great! i was thinking about doing a few of these before i got obsessed with finding real dead trees and making them in to props. i really like this technique but its a bit to straight. maybe if the tubes were cut slanted in a few spots and then put together to make it look crooked and more natural. i still really like the one in the pic though nice job!

And using the tablet on the stone, great idea! i have a couple cheap tablets i don't use and might try this out.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The tree looks great man! This is exactly what I wanted to build this year, my stumbling block has been finding a cardboard tube wide enough. I've been given a ton of carpet tubes, but they are far too skinny!

I do have a large a large wooden electric wire reel which im planning to take one of the sides off and rolling a large sheet of decent card around the center, which then should also give good stability and an easy plinth to hide / decorate - maybe something that could help you?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts