Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is still a work in progress, but it's mostly done, and other obligations are going to prevent me from putting on the final touches until closer to the big night.

In no particular order, thanks to:
Devil’s Chariot and Mr. Jingles for the instructions and detailed measurements for the creep
Old Man Bakke for the construction of the cauldron
DaveintheGrave for his idea regarding the plexiglass platform for the “floating” bones
Kaltuk for the idea for the pool noodle rim on the cauldron
Bob Brozovich (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46SQk-Bap8s) for the idea to put a small PVC cap on the end of the stick to make it move easier inside the larger PVC cap

And everyone else whose creeps I viewed for inspiration--thank you!

I started with a cauldron, based on Old Man Bakke's design:

I wrapped it with duct tape, but then I diverged a bit. I've never worked with papier mache, but I had a whole bucket of monster mud...

I applied the mud by hand, wearing a latex glove, in several light coats. This gave the cauldron a really neat texture. I was a bit concerned about cracking, but once it was painted and sprayed with a few coats of lacquer and a spray polyurethane, the main body is nice and stiff, and doesn't crack, even when I whacked it moderately hard in an inconspicuous location to see if it would. The mud on the pool noodle on the rim, though, is prone to minor cracking because the foam gives too much. It might need a bit of touch-up paint occasionally, but I can live with that. I still need to hit it with a coat of flat black because it's too glossy right now.

The stirring mechanism uses one of those $5 Ebay Chinese motors (TYC-50) running at 5-6 RPM.

This picture shows the installed mechanism. If you look in the top left, just below the cup, you can see that I put two pieces of PVC through the cauldron. One is 2" and is intended as the fog input, and one is 1 1/2" and is used to run the power cord through. I thought that using PVC would make it a bit more rugged than just having a hole in the side.

Here's the nearly-completed cauldron with the plexiglass platter installed. When we get closer to Halloween, I'll hot glue some bones on there and put some lights inside the cauldron. You can see the holes I drilled to let the fog seep up through the platter. I haven't tested it yet--that too must wait. Also visible is the 1" PVC cap I put on the end of the stick to help it move around in the 2" cup.

The creep itself is pretty standard. I really only did two things differently. First, I used another one of those small motors instead of a bigger wiper motor. I tested it with a bike helmet on the neck, and it has no trouble moving the head. It's also extremely quiet. Secondly, I used small screws to hold the pieces together instead of PVC glue. Mostly, that's because I might want to take it apart for storage, but it also lets me fix anything (breaks, errors in measurement, etc) easier. It's pretty sturdy.

Finally, here's the torso with the chicken wire cage. I used cardboard to help it hold its shape. The duct tape is just to cover the sharp edges where the wire was cut.

The creep is sized for a 5 1/2' skeleton, so it could be a skeleton creep. However, I think it's going to be a witch this year. I'm terrible at costumes, though, so I'm a bit concerned about that part. Again, though, I doubt I'll get anything else done on it for a while, which is why I wanted to post what I've done so far in case it helps someone else.

Thanks for looking! Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great so far! Love that this is a 'Frankenstein' build...a little from this person..a little from that person...
Thanks! That's one of the things I love about forums like this--everyone shares ideas.

There are still some things I've been thinking about. For one, that cracking on the noodle. I suppose some papier mache on that part might help, but I wonder if a coat of epoxy might work better. It would certainly make it more rigid. Also, after I built the stirring mechanism, I realized that the cup doesn't need to be so far down. If it's higher--and hidden by the fog--the cutout in the plexiglass wouldn't have to be quite so large.

I also have an idea for a new design for the stirring mechanism, but it wouldn't work well with the "floating bones" cauldron--the stick would move too much. Maybe I'll build a mockup just to test the concept. If I do, I'll post it here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great job thought about the monster mud on mine, maybe on the next one. Look up Jwal twistedseed on youtube he used a pavement filler and sealer on his pumpkin to harden it and waterproof it might help out the noodle on top.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Looks amazing! I've read a lot of the stuff you mentioned but it's great to see it all come together in one place. And some brilliant additions of your own too (never would have thought of the PVC pipes for the cords.)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great job thought about the monster mud on mine, maybe on the next one. Look up Jwal twistedseed on youtube he used a pavement filler and sealer on his pumpkin to harden it and waterproof it might help out the noodle on top.
Never would have thought about pavement sealer! Maybe on the next one...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What motor are you using for the head/neck mechanism?
I'm using the same kind of motor that I used for the stirring mechanism. It's called TYC-50, running at 5-6 RPM. You can find them on eBay from China for about $5. I like that they are really small and completely silent. You can get them in 12V or 120V, and at various speeds.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks amazing! I've read a lot of the stuff you mentioned but it's great to see it all come together in one place. And some brilliant additions of your own too (never would have thought of the PVC pipes for the cords.)
Thanks! I'm always grateful to the people whose ideas I've used. I have a prototype for a new stirring mechanism that I'm hoping to show off soon, and hopefully it'll be something that other people will copy, too. I definitely believe in giving back if I can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do the TYC-50 motors come ready to plug in or do they need to be modified? In the case to the later any chance you could link to a tutorial, or perhaps share a quick picture or description of what you did and used?

·
Scaring kids everywhere!
3,702 Posts
Eerie this is looking fantastic. I would also like to know is the motor needed to be modified and if so what/how you did it. Can't wait to see it finished.
BTW - I commend you for mentioning of all those who inspired and or helped you. That was very classy!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice work! I did my cauldron the same way. I just wish my cauldron came out as good as yours lol. For dressing it up i tore up a black bed sheet and bought some cloth from spirit and threw it on top. Looked pretty good with just that stuff on it like that. my video is down below

http://youtu.be/GrWDc7bFywY

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do the TYC-50 motors come ready to plug in or do they need to be modified? In the case to the later any chance you could link to a tutorial, or perhaps share a quick picture or description of what you did and used?
The motors don't need to be modified at all--you just attach a cord. I use the cheap 6' extension cords and cut off the female end. Just twist one wire from the extension cord to one from the motor using a wire nut, then do the same with the other two wires. Nothing to it.

Can't do a tutorial right now--I'm using my wife's computer because mine got fried by a lightning strike (no kidding), and I really don't have the time right now. I'll answer whatever questions I can, though.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Eerie this is looking fantastic. I would also like to know is the motor needed to be modified and if so what/how you did it. Can't wait to see it finished.
BTW - I commend you for mentioning of all those who inspired and or helped you. That was very classy!!!
Thanks! I'd try to take a closeup picture, but my main computer is dead right now. Might have to wait until I get my new one built in a week or two.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, the original idea was to make a witch, but once I got the mask I liked, the head was too heavy for the motor to lift. So what to do? Rebuild her with a FrightProps wiper motor and speed controller, of course! All she needs now is to be hooked up to the fogger.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And if you're wondering, the original body and motor was repurposed for this:

The head does move, and there's a removable section in the back of the pumpkinhead to put a light inside. I'm going to use a red strobe. I'll also drape some dark green creepy cloth over him before he goes outside.

Notice the witch photobombing him...diva!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
12 Participants
Eerie Erie Haunts
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing