Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A prop builders job is never done!
We have already started on another big project and this one is shaping up to be one of our best. The team has been assembled and it has some heavy hitters! Bobzilla, Lightman, RedTiePhotography and Dead Things return and joining us for the first time is RoxyBlue and Spooky1!
We will be incorporating some new items and upgrading some of the existing props to create a brand new witches scene.
To start things off, Bobzilla and I have been working on the skull of a new character which includes some very special eyes.
Here is your first sneak peak!

I discovered the eyes while surfing the net. The original concept came from David Boccabella (Marcwolf) and a tutorial was done by Phillip Burgess. This is on the Adafruit site and uses components that they stock. It can be found at https://learn.adafruit.com/animated-...ing-teensy-3-1 This project, along with some other ideas for adding animatronic eyes to your props will be the topic of my April article in Servo Magazine.
The eyes that I have built for this project cost about $150 for all the parts. It does require some fine soldering and a basic knowledge on adding programming to an Arduino. I will be ordering more of these and have plans to add them to a variety of my characters.

Here's the video of the new characters making their debut -

·
Registered
191 Posts
I really like the eyes!! Where can I find those? Are those mini monitors with a preprogrammed video? The skulls did you make those or are they available for sale? Looking forward to seeing your finished scene.

·
Spooky Express
702 Posts
The eyes on that skull are amazing! Keep up the great work.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Bigant, The Teensy 3.2 controller is an arduino style knock off. It is 32bit and has a large memory capability. You use the Arduino IDE to program it. (after you add the driver for the teensy board.) I bought the board and one OLED to give it a try. I am going to solder it up tonight (I hope) and test it out. I have already loaded the proper libraries and the driver and have, as suggested by the article on Adafruit, uploaded the "blinky" sketch and it tested OK. I then changed the timing of the blinking just to make sure that I was indeed controlling the teensy, All worked great.

Reactions: BIGANT

·
Registered
392 Posts
Ok, so it took me longer to get to it than I thought. But it works perfectly. I will attempt to upload a video in about a week. (I have to head out of town in the AM) It really is a very simple project. There are 4 different eye styles to choose from though the goat eye does not look left or right. You can also adjust the iris size to suit your needs, run it off a photo cell, or let it change randomly. I think it will work great as the dis-embodied caretaker for my cemetery.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts