Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you give out something a bit unconventional on Halloween?

Rather than buying candy I'm trying to come up with some new ideas for this year .

For example:

My neighbor says when he hits the lottery he is going to give out $100 bills... (will have to visit that house a couple of times... am I right?)

Or what about that episode of Roseanne where they did that alien dance thing at their door as a "trick"?

My friend is a magician and he always does a magic trick for each trick or treater.

We have a spider theme this year for our decorations so I'm thinking about giving out something like this:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/114490015497407778/

But with glow sticks in the middle so they light up...

Does anyone make the treats themselves?

There was always this lady who would make candy apples and wrap them up Martha Stewart style to look like pumpkins - it was the coolest. thing. ever. Unfortunately, these days many seem afraid to accept homemade treats. : /

I would really like to hear your ideas!

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
I love your spider web idea. when we were young, my mom always gave out popcorn balls. they were a big hit. but home made is not the thing anymore. I've seen where some get rubber gloves, fill them with popcorn, m&ms, and then put a fake spider ring on one of the fingers. that's always a big hit.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Yes, I plan to give out toothbrushes and religious brochures. ;)

Actually, I'd love to make homemade cookies to give as treats but the thought that many if not most would be trashed keeps me from doing so. I love to bake and this would be so much fun for me, but it's just not a great idea.

·
Registered
90 Posts
We always make up some kind of goody bag with different candies and usually a "Halloween" pencil and usually a glow stick. This year we are being lazy and jst giving out candy.

LOL Madame Leota!! Its funny you say that. The neighbors that live behind us last year gave out goody bags with toothbrushes, mini tubes toothpaste and Mardi Gras beads. It only took a little while before kids were spreading the word not to go to their house.

This year I noticed that they were not putting up decorations or anything (they usually have a pretty good setup) so I asked what happened. They told me that the kids last year were rude and ungrateful so they were not participating this year. LOL :eek:

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
We always make up some kind of goody bag with different candies and usually a "Halloween" pencil and usually a glow stick. This year we are being lazy and jst giving out candy.

LOL Madame Leota!! Its funny you say that. The neighbors that live behind us last year gave out goody bags with toothbrushes, mini tubes toothpaste and Mardi Gras beads. It only took a little while before kids were spreading the word not to go to their house.

This year I noticed that they were not putting up decorations or anything (they usually have a pretty good setup) so I asked what happened. They told me that the kids last year were rude and ungrateful so they were not participating this year. LOL :eek:
I love the addition of mardi gras beads! As if to say, "Oral hygiene is #1 but we're party people too!" :D

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
Do any of you give out something a bit unconventional on Halloween?

Rather than buying candy I'm trying to come up with some new ideas for this year .

For example:

My neighbor says when he hits the lottery he is going to give out $100 bills... (will have to visit that house a couple of times... am I right?)

Or what about that episode of Roseanne where they did that alien dance thing at their door as a "trick"?

My friend is a magician and he always does a magic trick for each trick or treater.

We have a spider theme this year for our decorations so I'm thinking about giving out something like this:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/114490015497407778/

But with glow sticks in the middle so they light up...

Does anyone make the treats themselves?

There was always this lady who would make candy apples and wrap them up Martha Stewart style to look like pumpkins - it was the coolest. thing. ever. Unfortunately, these days many seem afraid to accept homemade treats. : /

I would really like to hear your ideas!

We did spiders 2 ways way back when my daughter was in school.
One was like this one
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/434667801507022843/

the other we used pipe cleaners, pom poms, google eyes & 2 oz. solo cups with lids (like salad dressing or jello shots are made in)
With solo cup buttom side up, glue cut pipe cleaners to bend over sides & form legs, crossing them in the middle (you can also twist them together in the middle after you cut them to the size needed, but allow for twisting shortage) glue to bottom of cup, bend over sides and curl ends to form feet. Next glue on a pom pom & add google eyes. Fill bottom with candies put on lid & hand out. The kids loved these!

another mom did the same concept as the spider cups, but made the legs longer & wrapped them around a reeses peanut butter cup. Very cute too.
I was going to do the spider cups this year, but don't want to waste the time or $$ to have parents throw them away because they don't know me. I'm giving chocolate dipped pretzel rods to the kids I know along with what the other kids will get - Gummy bears :D

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would do the treat-filled little bags if more kids in this area actually bothered to dress up - but unfortunately, I only saw a few costumes last year - most of the TOTers were making the rounds in their school clothes.....:p

I still give stuff out, though - we fill two bowls, one with candy (usually chocolate), & one with little toys (spider rings, plastic skeletons, & whatnot). They are allowed to pick one each of their choosing. I think they like the whole being-able-to-choose aspect, & even with the high-schoolers, the toys go over surprisingly well. I have some Halloween pencils & such that I got on clearance last year to add to the toy bin, so we'll see if we have any takers on those! lol

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,573 Posts
Yes, I plan to give out toothbrushes and religious brochures. ;)
Hey as long as it's The Satanic Children's Big Book of Activities you'll be OK.;)

http://thesatanictemple.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Activity_Book.pdf

Yes. That's real & I didn't create it nor am I a Satanist.

A school system in FL said that they local churches could hand out stuff in schools so the Satanists said they wanted some of that action too since they're also a religion.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/19/satanic-coloring-book_n_5846640.html

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
Hey as long as it's The Satanic Children's Big Book of Activities you'll be OK.;)

http://thesatanictemple.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Activity_Book.pdf

Yes. That's real & I didn't create it nor am I a Satanist.

A school system in FL said that they local churches could hand out stuff in schools so the Satanists said they wanted some of that action too since they're also a religion.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/19/satanic-coloring-book_n_5846640.html
Oh wow, I would Love to hand them out just to mess with people. I've been told so many times "we don't celebrate Halloween" we are Christians. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like to add glow-in-the dark bloodshot eyeballs (the kind that bounce) to the treat bags, because we have a black light on our porch. I use clear cello bags so the TOTs see them glowing when you hand out the treats. They've always been a big hit!

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
I always tell them if they come in their street clothes they have to do a trick to get their treats. it's fun watching what they come up with for ideas. one little girl just kept smiling and smiling. when it was her turn I said...okay what's your trick, she said....but I am in costume. I said....what's your costume? she said, I'm dressed as you, can't you see I have a big smile on my face. that is my favorite. my second favorite is one girl was dressed up as the hunchback and the other girl was not dressed up. I gave the treat to the girl dressed up and they said they'd be right back. they ran across the street and ducked behind a tree. I could still see them. the girl with the hunch back took off the costume and gave it to her friend and they came back all smiles. well, she's dressed up now. so much effort, and such comrademanship, I gave them extra.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts