Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so glad I stumbled onto this forum. You guys have the best ideas. My mind has been racing to add to my haunt this year. I've decided to try my hand in boarding up my windows vs creating displays in them. I have 8 windows total, 4 on each side of my front door. They bow out so boarding across all 4 is impossible. I found some thin wood planks in Home Depot that I played around with and also a foamular board I cut up into planks. The wood I just stained and I'd nail together, 6 planks per window. That was the easy option, I'm just worried about the weight. Any ideas on a hanging method? I bought industrial strength Velcro, thought about sticking it right onto the glass. My second option was the foam. I cut 6 pieces up and gave a coat of black paint. Home Depot was closing so I rushed into buying Rustoleum black latex paint. Supposedly its "fast drying" but as of this morning there were still wet spots. I will still need to give a second coat for the wood color. So the latter will be more time consuming but maybe easier to hang in the long run. Any suggestions?? Also any ideas for a more "menacing" looking fence to surround my house? I painted 4 ft garden stakes 3 years ago and connected them with homemade barbed wire, but I'd love something a little taller and "iron" looking, maybe with some pointed tops. I'm so sorry this is long, thanks for reading, my husband thinks I've lost my mind. Maybe I have. Here's my progress so far on the boards. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412083361.230685.jpg

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,019 Posts
Yea, foam is what most of us are doing window boards with. A lot of prep work, but it pays off in weight reduction and being able to easily customize them to suit your haunts look or theme. Some haunters use velcro for mounting, some (like me) use webbing straps that get closed up in the storm windows, and I've even seen strong magnets used a couple of times. Do a quick site search and you should find a ton of how-tos.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Welcome cricket515.

I used the old wood fence planks for my window covers and hung them by drilling a center anchor into the brick above my window and wrapping an old hanger around the top of each of the top slats. When I get done warping the hanger around, I left the hook part of the hanger towards the top and used that to hang up the window covers.

I do the whole ground level of the house and have never had a problem with wind or panels coming down.....easy on, easy off and the wood is sturdy for years of use.

Good luck.

PB

WindowCovers3-HF.jpg WindowCovers1-HF.jpg Window-Screw.jpg

·
Registered
910 Posts
Hey Cricket515......from another post this morning....."I did these for my house a few years ago. I did the "woodgrain" using a wire brush and then airbrushed them and dry brushed them to match the wood look. I affixed them to my window frames usint hot melt glue and it did a fantastic job. Have a look at my profile pics for a look....if you need any help....gimme a shout..."Scruff "

hope it helps......questions?.....feel free to message.....'Scruff

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much! I'm going to settle down with my boards later tonight. I get so psyched with the ideas in my head but slowly get discouraged when I'm actually trying to do it. Thank you again for being so helpful!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts