Halloween Forum banner
181 - 200 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
J-Man,

Okay, you're the man. I was using diagonal cut pliers and it was rather difficult. What do you use? :cool:
Those will work, if they're sharp. Small tin snips work well. The plastic is not brittle, it's tough but quite pliable. Actually, after doing a couple of these and knowing where the connectors are, I don't even have to cut the body. A good pair of surgical tweezers is all I need.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thought that I'd share this.

Ok, with J-Man's fabulous boards, I've mounted 2 birds on a treasure chest and edited a "Who's On First" dialog to test out all the bits and pieces. Hopefully, I'll have an original great dialog for Hallowe'en. But why not use other times of the year? Forgive the imperfections!

Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

PS: I have found a good text to voice conversion program called "Talkia." There is a low price subscription but I bought a standalone at a low price. You can then choose various world accents, various ages and genders. The pitch and rate of speech can be altered on the fly. I take the finished audio into Garage Band for echo, lowering the voice pitch further, etc.
J-man is right about the onboard macaw speakers being quite adequate. His amp is just fine.

I am going to use a wireless or Wifi remote to turn on the 2 amps.

For lighting, I use fairly inexpensive Ulanzi accessories because the company has many products for smartphones, so some can serve additional purposes. So, a small tripod, a 2-light bar, 2 LED lights that are USB charged, very bright, have 3 levels of brightness, and come with multiple gels, and swivel mounts. Batteries last hours:

Machine Antique

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey! I've been looking into doing my first electronic work with this board, I just emailed you about the board itself. If I had wanted to sync up the beak with an amazon alexa, through a raspberry pi, could I manage that? Also, is there any sort of tutorial on how to/which wires to connect with the board?

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK guys, here it is, the new All-in-One board for hacking Squawkers McCaw. Auto beak sync, random body movement, and built in 3W stereo amplifier with volume control for connecting directly to the internal speaker or a small external speaker.
It operates on a single 5V 2A power supply, no other power source is needed. The board requires a regulated 5V power source to operate, any voltage over 5.5V will damage the circuitry. Hence the reason each board will include the proper power supply. Target price is $65 plus shipping. I have a new method for getting at the required 6 wires inside of Squawkers without taking him apart, super easy! Here's a pic of the new board and a demo video. Board size is 2.8"x 2.1".

View attachment 399146
how can I buy this? thank you

·
Captain o'th Black Pearl
Wit' a name o' CaptainJackSparrow, i shall give ya a 'int, it naught be kitties, savvy?
2,048 Posts
Hi,

I emailed and HF Msg'd you re: 2 (or 4+) boards .. I am doing a POTC haunt this year, wanting to add a couple McCaw's to the scurvy crew, and put on a Tiki Room display during the rest of the year for the neighborhood (I used 4 resin parrots w/spotlights last year, just lighting them up when each spoke/sang, and had a bunch of tiki masks do the rain dance part) ..
I have 5 Squawks McCaws coming from eBay this week and hope I can get at lest one working for my pirate haunt..

Paula .. uh, I mean ..

Capt'n Jack !!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

I emailed and HF Msg'd you re: 2 (or 4+) boards .. I am doing a POTC haunt this year, wanting to add a couple McCaw's to the scurvy crew, and put on a Tiki Room display during the rest of the year for the neighborhood (I used 4 resin parrots w/spotlights last year, just lighting them up when each spoke/sang, and had a bunch of tiki masks do the rain dance part) ..
I have 5 Squawks McCaws coming from eBay this week and hope I can get at lest one working for my pirate haunt..

Paula .. uh, I mean ..

Capt'n Jack !!
So that's where the rest of the Squawkers are headed :) - I have 3 running the tiki room show and looking for a 4th!

·
Captain o'th Black Pearl
Wit' a name o' CaptainJackSparrow, i shall give ya a 'int, it naught be kitties, savvy?
2,048 Posts
I actually got 7 .. 5 coming by Monday, and just won 2 more on eBay (that i forgot abt) .. if you need a couple, I can send them for what I paid.. I got 1 for $51 and another for $67 .. the auctions say they work but no perch or remote.

EDIT: (Wednesday) gettin' jazzed, first bird (of 7 .. I .. um .. kinda fergot I bid on a few of them) just got delivered and it's darling .. I can barely contain my excitement waiting for the boards! I wish I knew these had been out since at least 2006! I have seen Squawkers being run off Jack's board here (cant wait for its delivery, thanks for getting it out quick!), the PicoBoo board (a couple YT hack vids) and a few Arduino's .. just a question as to what drives the wings and beak and head motors .. is it .. electrical, as in actual voltage being applied, or digital signal (as in RC servos)? I'm curious, if its like Lynx type boards that run servos and such ..

oh, and my dog reeeeally wants to play with Squawky!

181 - 200 of 201 Posts