Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed while reading some threads without logging in that now the photos we post here will have pop up ads placed on the bottom of them. I find this totally annoying as a member here and am sure that outsiders reading our posts do too. Apparently banner ads at the top and bottom of pages and made into individual posts with threads wasn't enough.

·
Registered
306 Posts
This is what adblocker is for. Seriously, the internet is full of ads everywhere you go, and this forum is no exception. This isn't unusual or over the top.

I know people are upset with the changes since the site got bought up, but if you want it to stick around, this is the way it's gonna be. I've seen multiple threads about the ads and such on this site and honestly they're more annoying than the changes themselves. Just download adblock plus to your browser for free and go about your day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is what adblocker is for. Seriously, the internet is full of ads everywhere you go, and this forum is no exception. This isn't unusual or over the top.

I know people are upset with the changes since the site got bought up, but if you want it to stick around, this is the way it's gonna be. I've seen multiple threads about the ads and such on this site and honestly they're more annoying than the changes themselves. Just download adblock plus to your browser for free and go about your day.
Typically, it’s the ad model or the paid membership model. Although there isn't a choice here yet, I would still likely opt for the ad model as a user of the site and supporter of the community.

Websites (especially ones this large) are not cheap to run, not to mention the support staff VerticalScope employs (which in Toronto is not cheap BTW) and the initial purchase cost of the property (likely in the 10s of thousands of $).

HalloweenForum.com is relatively small compared to other properties in their portfolio, and the Halloween niche in general can be incredibly difficult to monetize. We can either do what we can to help them monetize by NOT using ad blocking software, allowing all cookies from the forum, and by voicing only technical / privacy / legitimate concerns pertaining to advertising (if VS is smart they keep track of how much it costs to support each platform) or after a few years in the red, realize the inevitable deprecation of the forum or sale to another company with potentially more aggressive monetization tactics and that provides minimal support and upkeep.

If you really want to help the cause, encourage your favorite Halloween vendors to contact VerticalScope to purchase the forum directly, or have them explicitly target HalloweenForum.com in their buy side interface ie. AdWords, both sides win.

VerticalScope support folks, can you please provide us with your ad sales team’s contact number so we can join in the cause and help support our community?

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,438 Posts
Adblock Pro has helped a TON. I switched to that instead of just Adblock or Adblock Plus & if anything sometimes I have to override it on certain sites because it's pretty stringent on what it lets through.

Not sure why it's slow, I've never had that problem but I am now working on a new laptop at home but even the old super slow one was never slow to load the site.

I can't comment on how the forum works with a phone or tablet because I generally don't use those to access the site.

·
Administrator
624 Posts
Hey guys,

Can you let us know what browser you are using when you come across the slow down?
Also if you guys can clear your cache and cookies, and see if that helps? There is no guarantee that that will help cure the slow down, but it's worth a shot.

Richard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts