Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I begin to get into the Halloween spirit, it occurs to me that there is a product which may come in quite handy for Halloween props.

"Never Wet" by Rustoleum, is a super hydrophobic coating that can be sprayed onto anything, and liquids WILL NOT stick!

This could come in handy for carved stone prop walls where bright red glucose blood or some other liquid (even Ketchup!) can be splattered onto the wall over and over again, and the wall will drip clean on its own.

Dip a head into a drum of sludge, raise it up, and the sludge will drip off as if it had never happened.

Check out the product.

http://www.neverwet.com/

·
Registered
35 Posts
Make sure you thoroughly test whatever liquid you are using first. That stuff does work great on water and oil but I've found stuff like soap seems to break down or deactivate it and it will no longer work. I bought some when it first came out a couple of years ago and still have half full cans because most of the stuff I wanted to use it on comes in contact with stuff that kills the repelling feature. For example, if you use it on an apron like I did, it works until you wash it or get something splashed on it. :( Perhaps by now they have solved that issue, but a little testing shouldn't hurt at all.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Not sure about the ultra ever dry, it looks promising. But the never wet just doesn't work in the every day life. it adds a coat of fine dust to what ever you coat and that repels the water similar to what some plants have on them. only problem is it's very temporary. one touch and it's gone. wipes right off. So it's not actually sealing the item. they may have improved it since i tested it out last but most likely its the same. i hate that they all ways show this stuff on cloths when it just does not work that way. it would rub off with in minuets if you did this at home. It may work for the season depending on how long you had you're props out. but if you plan on touching it a lot its a no go. It also leaves a slight haze on the item as well. looks kind of frosty. i hope they improve this in the future cause that would be amazing to have.

·
black light queen
2,504 Posts
video was kewl ... but it didn't show anything that i didn't expect ...

as others have commented, how durable is the ultra ever dry coating? it'd be more interesting if they rubbed the dirt/food/or whatever into the fabric or whatever ... until i see that, meh, lol :)

amk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just wanted to expand on my earlier post a little bit. I believe for the props OP suggested the Never Wet will work beautifully. My only concern would be specifically what liquids would be suitable for the effect without damaging the NeverWet (NW) coating. The ketchup worries me because of its acidity. I don't know what, if any, effect that would have on the durability of the NW. That definitely would warrant some testing. I think a NW prop would work great for one season but doubt it would hold up multiple years without re-application each year.

As I said in my first post, I have used NW before. I applied it to two different things, my work apron and my bathroom sink. Both of them seemed to work great at first then quickly went downhill. The sink was the worst and now, TBH, seems like a dumb thing to do. After applying the NW and running water in the sink I thought this is cool, I'll never have to wash the sink again, just rinse it out! Nope. After it came into contact with either soap, toothpaste or mouthwash it stopped working. The problem was that it didn't fail 100%. I mean that where it stopped repelling it seems to actually be clinging to dirt and debris and got filthy fast. Because it didn't fail completely, it was extremely difficult to get the debris and dirt off because water just washed over it and didn't remove it. Using soap only made it worse. In the end I had a bathroom sink that was partially hydrophobic and looked nasty, LOL.

My apron was I'd say an 85% success. I work in a tool sharpening shop when I'm not 'Weening and am surrounded by some really nasty chemicals and oils. Most notably, pure sodium hydroxide, known to everyday Joes as Lye. This stuff is some seriously hardcore stuff. It eats anything organic and non-ferrous. (non-ferrous refers to metals that are not magnetic such as aluminum or copper) It will dissolve aluminum the thickness of your thumbnail in minutes so you can imagine what it does to my aprons and the clothes I'm wearing underneath. The NW on my apron lasted about 4.5 seconds, LOL. To be fair though, while it didn't repel liquids like I had hoped, it did work well enough to make my apron somewhat waterproof in the fact that nothing leaked all the way through it anymore.

Ok, sorry just realized my last paragraph isn't really helpful here but it is a fun story to tell so there it is. Before I used my apron I played with it to see how it worked and I have to be honest, watching water move across it was both fascinating and creepy. I basically put the apron on and held the bottom corners up to make a sort of "bowl" with it. I then put some water in and swished it around. The NW worked perfectly and the water moved around without sticking. Now, the best part of it was that the water doesn't seem to behave like you would expect it to. It moved... hmm, how to explain this, well, it seemed to move like a liquid alien life form with a Slinky skeleton. Water didn't just flow from one side to the other, it kind of half moved then looked like it pulled the rest of it behind it. It didn't flow like you would expect and looks unnatural to say the least. That being said, I think getting the most out of a NW prop would be to let it run off slowly versus quickly as the creepiness of it's unnatural movement would almost be enough for a scare in and of itself, LOL.

Either way, A Guy In Town, I, and I'm sure most everyone else here, expects updates, pictures and videos of your progress! You have a long way to go and a short time to get there (that's right, you see Burt Reynolds in your head right now) so get to it! ;-)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i hate that they all ways show this stuff on cloths when it just does not work that way. it would rub off with in minuets if you did this at home.
The Ultra Ever-Dry product advertises that it does not wipe off, and will stay wherever it is put until it is washed off with detergent. It is DIFFERENT than the Rustoleum product, and the price reflects it!

Ultra Ever-Dry is a two-art process. you spray substance #1, let it dry, then spray Substance #2.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
video was kewl ... but it didn't show anything that i didn't expect ...

as others have commented, how durable is the ultra ever dry coating? it'd be more interesting if they rubbed the dirt/food/or whatever into the fabric or whatever ... until i see that, meh, lol :)

amk
Ultra Ever-Dry was the originlal product I wanted to promote here. I just couldn't remember the name of it, and a quick Google search returned "NeverWet" so I THOUGHT that was the product I wanted to mention. It wasn't.

Ultra Ever-Dry is expensive, because it works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts