Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
You could still use that kit, but you'd need to change one of the resistors. What determines the Pause time is a resistor/capacitor combination, and you can move the Pause time window to a longer max time by changing the resistor to a higher value. The range would stay the same. You might need to change the cap to a higher value as well - I'd need to see which parts go where on that board. Let me see what I can find out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be great. What I am looking for is a trigger about every 10 minutes. I want it to loop through the night.
Rick

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
You'll have to increase the size of the timing capacitor (C3 on the board). Too bad there's not much room on the board, so you'll have to probably solder it in parallel underneath. Since it is a 100uF cap and the longest timing cycle is up to 60 seconds, replacing it with a 1000uF cap will give you roughly 10 times that, or 600 seconds, which would be the 10 minutes you are looking for. Note that the output pulse will also increase 10 times as well (5 - 50 seconds), so hopefully you can work with that. I found the schematic:
IntervalTimerSchematic.JPG
Don't try to replace the resistors, as they are already a very high value and the timer won't work reliably at much higher values. increasing the capacitor is fine, though.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I would go with the higher voltage component:
http://www.amazon.com/1000uf-Capacitor-105c-Radial-Leads/dp/B004C4VLZS/ref=pd_sim_indust_1
10 volts is cutting it pretty close, especially if your circuit runs on 12 volts. I'd hate to see you blow the cap.
And from what I can tell, the timer runs on its own... just give it power and it does its thing... self-timing, essentially. So, once it gets power, it will start the timing cycle... pulse the output for 5-50 seconds, then delay for up to 600 seconds, then pulse the output again, then delay... for ever! (or until you kill the power, whichever comes first! LOL).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts