Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like there's always some complete A**hole in every sub. But why do they always end up being my neighbors?
A few years ago we were fortunate to be able to by a house for my daughter while she attended college. It was a nice little house in a huge sub, but still close to campus. Almost immediately, the guy across the street and down one house starts parking his car in front of her house instead of his own. He has a garage and a driveway, but the garage is filled with crap and he apparently doesn't like to park in his own driveway. It's annoying, hopefully it was short term problem. No such luck. After a month or so he starts parking two cars in front of her house almost everyday. Then as time goes by he starts working on the cars while they're parked in front of her house. We asked the guy several times why he had to park in front of her house or to stop "working" on the cars in front of her house, but he's one of those guys that thinks he's entitled to do whatever he wants. And the best part is that whenever I ask him to knock it off he calls the cops on me and claims I'm harassing him. Then he starts blasting loud music and banging on stuff at all hours of the day. Come to find out he's the most hated person in the sub and enjoys bothering the rest of the neighborhood just as much as he possible can. Eventually, "push came to shove" and there was an "incident". Funny thing, after that he never parked in front of my daughters house again. Unfortunately, the very sweet retired couple who lived directly across the street welcomed their 35 year old dead beat son back home to live in their basement. And you guessed it, first thing he did every morning was park his POS car in front of my daughter's house. After the "incident" my wife and daughter made me promise that I would try my best to just let it go. Fortunately, my daughter graduated and got a job that was too far to drive back and forth from her college house, so we sold the house and she moved her into a new house where it would have been next to impossible for there to be a similar parking in front of the house issue. While all this was going on the house next to mine was sold and the new neighbors and anyone they have over loves to drive across the edge of my yard for reasons I've never been able to understand. I went over to talk to the guy and he tells me there's a public easement across the first 20 feet of every yard in the sub and he can drive across the edge of anybody's yard he wants to as much as he wants. Which isn't true since its a private road and the only easement is for the placement and servicing of utilities. Then he comes back with my personal favorite, "Driving on it doesn't damage the grass anyway, "It'll pop back up". And since he was too stupid the measure the height of his garage door to see if his truck would fit inside (it won't) he parks outside and loves to turn the radio on in his truck full blast and open the door. Plus he likes to store his extra ladders and a POS Canoe he carts around on the strip of grass between his driveway and the property line. The HOA by-laws for the sub expressly prohibit this, but he claims that since he didn't know about them when he bought the property, they don't apply to him, because he never agreed to them. I guess the concept of covenants that run with the land wasn't something they covered in A**hole School. I stopped them from driving on my yard by fencing it off and stopped the loud music by blasting heavy metal tunes directly at his house with a stereo system I cobbled together from garage sale parts that could quite possibly wake the dead. He still leaves a ton of crap in the strip of grass between the two properties but I try to ignore it.

Recently, my daughter was offered a terrific new job, but it was once again too far from the existing house to drive on a daily basis, so we were once again fortunate enough to buy her another house closer to her new job in a slightly up-scale subdivision. Before they put an offer on the new house we checked out the neighborhood several times on different days and times and there didn't seem to be any problems. And best of all no cars parked on the street anywhere in the sub and the sellers tell us that nobody in this sub parks on the street. We go to do the final walk-through 24 hours before closing and son of a b*tch if there isn't a car parked across the street in front of her house. I ask about it and am told, Oh that's just the maid service. So we close on the house and go back yesterday to get things ready for the movers to bring in all her stuff on Monday. And as I pull in the driveway, there's that car again. Come to find out the car belongs to the next door neighbor who parks there all the time because his garage is full of crap and he doesn't like to park in his driveway or in front of his own house. Un-freaking-believable! Is it just me or does this stuff happen to everybody who lives in a sub? Seems to me, I'm always the one who ends up with the A**hole neighbor. We're quite, mostly keep to ourselves, and park all our vehicles either in the garage or on the rare occasion when I need the extra space for a project, just outside the garage door.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,915 Posts
Ours is the guy across the street, one house over. These people obviously used to or somehow imagine that they live way out in the country and conduct themselves as such. Dude parks his loud *** truck in the front yard across their sidewalk because the big driveway they have is reserved for cornhole and the multitude of appliances and other junk he accumulates hoping to strike it rich if the price of scrap metal ever comes up. He drives up his next door neighbors driveway, then cuts across their and his side yard to get into his front yard to park. Cornhole games, accompanied by yelling, music, cars parked up and down the street, and engines revving every time someone leaves or arrives start Friday and Saturday night and continue until at least 1am, sometimes longer. Their big *** puppy runs loose, often out into traffic. They sit in the house with the front door open and scream and fight at least once a week. I'ts actually pretty funny and entertaining to us because we are across the street and only see them for the most part, and don't get bothered by the noise. By far, the trashiest people I've ever lived near. We've seen everything from him ripping the bumper off of his work truck trying to get it unstuck from the back yard (greatest day ever!) to their kids standing under a paper wasp nest throwing pine cones at it. About 2 weeks ago one of their kids was out on one of the first 70+ degree days of the year swimming in their pool, which is full of neon green water and had to still be very cold. Like I said, it's always something with those folks lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
*glances around*

So, um, I'm just going to say it...

I normally park on the street. Am I unintentionally being an *******?

I mean, I understand the being upset with clutter, blocking the walkway, and people parking in front of YOUR place. But the house across the road parking on their side of the street? I don't see how that would be any business of mine.

We've got 4 cars on 4 very different schedules. While we can all fit in the drive, it's a lot easier if I park on the street. (first to leave in the morning, first home at night). This is hardly a rare sight around here either. This some kind of regional culture thing maybe?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I hear ya. We always seem to get the neighbors who think they own every yard in the neighborhood as well. Currently, we live next to the only music blaring, front yard partying until late at night, park in front of our yard, dogs roaming in everyone's front yard neighbors. Ugh! Everyone else is quiet and respectful with well maintained yards and restrained pets. People think just because they live somewhere a while that they are entitled to do anything they please. Sucks cause they are usually violent tempered people.

We have decided to ignore as much as possible, erect fencing, and put out those motion sensored water sprinklers to keep the neighbor dogs and 11pm roaming very young kids out of our yard.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,915 Posts
I hear ya. We always seem to get the neighbors who think they own every yard in the neighborhood as well. Currently, we live next to the only music blaring, front yard partying until late at night, park in front of our yard, dogs roaming in everyone's front yard neighbors. Ugh! Everyone else is quiet and respectful with well maintained yards and restrained pets. People think just because they live somewhere a while that they are entitled to do anything they please. Sucks cause they are usually violent tempered people.

We have decided to ignore as much as possible, erect fencing, and put out those motion sensored water sprinklers to keep the neighbor dogs and 11pm roaming very young kids out of our yard.
Do you live on my street? Because you just described my neighbor perfectly!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*glances around*

So, um, I'm just going to say it...

I normally park on the street. Am I unintentionally being an *******?
If you park in front of your own house on that side of the road, that's your business.
But if you regularly park in front of someone else's house because its more convenient for you to do so, then YES you are being *******.
If you're parking on the road in front of your own house, but in a fashion that blocks someone else's driveway or otherwise impedes their use of it, then YES you are being an ******* then as well.
As a general rule of thumb, just think about whether or not you would like someone doing what you are doing, to you or your property. If you wouldn't like it being done to you, then the answer is pretty simple.
Happy Haunting.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,397 Posts
Why do the "good" neighbors always move away & the crappy neighbors never leave?

The people across the street are kind of horrible people but not really bad neighbors like yours. They're just kinda angry & the kind of people that won't even wave when they drive past you. We've watched their roof shingles blow off in storms, seen a very large black snake on their roof crawl into their attic vents, & when they had about a dozen chickens my aunt (who is their next door neighbor) watched a hawk take about 3 of their chickens.

That was sort of a line for me. I told my aunt, listen, I know we all don't like them, but those are probably her pets (they've got dogs, cats & some birds in some combo over the years) so maybe you should let her know they're just a hawk buffet. So she did & it still took the doofus husband 2 days to get a tarp to cover the chickens (they were in an old dog run) so they lost 2 more.

So that's why when they have shingles blowing up or off we say nothing. We hope the snake has many babies in their attic because we prefer snakes to these neighbors. I still wave when they drive by even when they don't because I'm just a bit better than they are in that arena.

These are also the neighbors whose daughter had a big Halloween party one year but still turned off the porch lights & didn't give out candy. So it looked like they were home because the back lights were on & there were people milling around but they gave out ZERO CANDY to ToTers. In fact, we've lived here 15 years give or take & I only recall them doing ToT candy once.

I don't think it's a religious thing for them, I think they're just a$$holes.

They keep to themselves so much we got to watch the dude be carted off in the ambulance after a suicide attempt in which he took a bottle of Tylenol, got into a cold bath & cut his wrists the "wrong" way. Yep, he couldn't even kill himself properly, that's what we're dealing with here.

All that said, they're not "bad" neighbors really because they aren't close enough to or friends with any of the neighbors on our street which suits most of us just fine. They do their thing which is....no clue really.

I also don't really wish death upon them, I'm not that bad a person. Not yet anyway.;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I feel for all of you with sh*tty, incredibly inconsiderate neighbors. I have certainly had my own experiences. It is pretty much impossible to evade them, it seemso_O I prefer the type who strictly keep to themselves - I am basically that way, too.

·
E Pluribus Bitum
879 Posts

I had this, next door. He was in a group of cottages, and treated the entire place like it was his. Some of the other tenants partied with him, some didn't but I don't think they complained. It is really hard to find a place to live where I am, thanks to short term vacay rentals taking everything, and I imagine a lot of people just didn't want to make a fuss or have trouble with this guy. There were fights, bongo drums outside at midnight on a weekday, overloud music til all hours, loud parties til sunrise. A drum circle in his house that shook our house with stomping. He used to line up small whiskey bottles on the fence and invite everyone who walked by to drink- even minors, and the bottles would end up in our yard. His guests broke a glass into our yard. So much. Bursting out of his back door (about six feet from my daughter's window) at 3 am on a Wednesday was when I was DONE. He stood there slurring loudly because he was so drunk, until sunrise. So I'd called the cops a lot on his parties, but turned out we have a program here in San Diego called CAPP (community assisted party program). You start the process, and after enough calls on noise violations, he's fined and warned, and more importantly, the landlord is fined- $1000. That got rid of this jerk. The night he was blasting music and I called at 11, the cops showed up told him to turn it down. They left, and he turned it back up. I called again as the CAPP officer had told me to, and that's what did the guy in. Those two calls in one night finally got him kicked out. As the landlord repaired the place (which the guy had wrecked), he had someone there who nightly, for two weeks, would play music really loud or movies, or have friends over and sing, and I'm pretty sure he was testing to see if we'd call the cops. lol We didn't- it was all acceptable, stopped at the time the noise ordinances cite, and nothing compared to what had been there for so long. We're not expecting silence, we expect legal, late night noise ordinances to be upheld. It's why we have them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The perfectly decent people next door had some troubles and lost their house. The buyer was a professional landlord who rents houses out, apparently to people who couldn't pass muster with most other landlords. After a few years of living with various groups of people moving in and out and their loud, drunken screaming, turning the front lawn into a parking look for junked cars, setting out overflowing garbage cans that didn't get picked up so overturned into the street etc..., we decided to sell (after twenty years).

The neighbors were a no sale for most would-be buyers, but guess what? The owner of the house next door (and several other ones on the block) bought the place. After our experience we actually considered buying a house in a neighborhood with an HOA, but we couldn't deal with the restrictions. No flags, no holiday displays, cars must be garaged at all times so there goes any prop building. So far, we like where we live now. Though we did the senior downsizing and have a much smaller yard, we are looking forward to our first Halloween here. In the old neighborhood, we had hundreds of TOTS, but we'll see.

Already replaced my old skeleton mermaid, whose homemade tail was getting really bedraggled, with the Oriental Trader skeleton with the boney tail. The shed and garage are stuffed with the old props and I have to keep reminding myself that space is more limited here, but all those Halloween websites are so tempting!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
WOW!! I am so sorry to read about such rotten neighbors. I've had a few rotten ones myself when I was younger, but only one of them was as bad as some of you have described. That neighbor was good at killing other people's pets. (he would literally call them or entice them into his yard and then shoot them or poison them.) His septic system had a huge leak for several years and it drew in the flies like mad all over the neighborhood. He had junked cars, a junked lawn, a junked house. He was loud, obnoxious and meaner than an old goat. We lived out in the county so there were no city ordinances to be followed or could stop him from turning his property into a dump or blaring music and such at all hours of the day and night. We could never fully prove he was killing people's pets, but everyone in the neighborhood knew he was, so we couldn't do anything legally about that. We tried to avoid him as much as possible. We dared not confront him about anything as he was good at retaliation and that retaliation could have very easily been in the form of a gun shot. There were many a time when heard bullets whiz by our house. Sheriffs in that place were a waste too and would never do anything with him except come out and let him know someone called them on him. That would just piss him off further an it would put the whole neighborhood into hiding. I was never so glad to move from a place in all of my life.

I am extremely thankful that for the most part I have been blessed with fairly decent neighbors for the past 18 years. Had a couple that were moderately annoying, but they were pretty easy to ignore. The new neighbors I have now are fantastic and are actually allowing me to use their yards to put up my Halloween displays. Two of my neighbors have kids that want to learn how to make their own Halloween displays so they will be helping me build a few of my things. They range in ages 8-13 yrs. old so we will see how much help they really are. But still I think it is great that they want to help and learn. Catch them young and train them. Hoping maybe they will catch the Halloween bug and over the next few years my neighborhood will once again be the place everyone comes and TOT like they did when I was a kid.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I feel you on the A** neighbor front. Mine started with me the day I moved it and it was over a parking spot. He would insta-rage every time he would see us because we were now parking in "his" spot. 1. He has a driveway that fits his 2 cars perfectly. 2. It is street parking and you can't claim anything. I'm also not the one that will sit in my car intentionally until he sees that we have parked elsewhere and then he leaves. Talk about petty. I could move the car after that but I don't because I am not that petty. I was called numerous names with this argument. This was just the beginning. Over the years he intentionally sprayed poison on our blackberry bush (because he said it was a weed that was coming in his yard) The cops were called for this one. I have dogs and children. The worst one though... arguing with me over blocking his driveway (which my 80 year old father in law was for a second while he was looking for parking) and then saying "Why haven't you gotten AIDS and died already". Mind you this was said in front of my 2 young boys and my Father in law. His wife came home shortly after this and had to hold their door shut because he was trying to get out and argue more. She didn't believe that her husband would say such things and we must be mistaken. 10 minutes later he was knocking on our door with his tail between his legs, with his wife standing behind him apologizing to us. His excuse was that he was having a bad day. I'm sorry... no bad day in the world is an excuse for homophobic, misogynistic bigotry. He hasn't said a word to us since. We don't speak. We don't even make eye contact. We didn't go to the cops this time but next time we will. With a man like that it is only a matter of time before something sets off that kind of hate again.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I remember the day we started moving into this new house. We were working our pants off and had hired 3 guys to help us. When the man next store got home from work he headed over to our house and he said. I'm sorry to come over here but my wife has her panties in a wad. She says your little car is parked on our property. It was an all terrain car and it was 5 inches on their property. Besides that when the guy sold us this place he had the surveyor measure off exactly 1 acre, this left 1/2 of our backyard which he sold along with the additional garage to this neighbor. There is nothing more awkward that the neighbors owning half your backyard. She brings all her company over to stand on the property line in our yard and point out things to them in my yard. Yes there was a lot to start with, a motor home, a boat and trailer, a Ford pickup and tons of stuff because we just did not have enough room. But at least let us get moved in and we'll address it then. I have lived here since 2004 and the only time she ever spoke to me without introducing herself was when we all were at the lawyers office waiting to be seen because he sold us our half of the yard back. She was ready to gossip about some other neighbors.

Now just a few months ago the neighbors on the other side decided they wanted to fight. She has 30 stray cats in her yard, they have 9 acres behind our house and that other neighbor has 9 acres behind his house. We talked very nicely to this other neighbor because her cats keeping coming in our garage through a cat door that we have for our cat and they are crapping in there, eating our cats food and they tore up a bunch of styrofoam panels I had stored out back to make tombstones. She claimed I yelled at here, well I was excited when I called her because Jerry and Joe drove into town and no one was around here when her cat started a fight with ours out in the garage. I was a little excited because I can barely make it down those stairs in the garage. So now none of them will speak to us. Ya buy a beautiful home and think you are gonna be so happy there and then you meet the neighbors. As far as me and the rest of the family in my house we all stick together>>>>>>they can all go to hell! My Halloween decorations turn them into Werewolves!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts