Halloween Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Now that I can post to the thread again, I wanted to thank everyone who has been making suggestions about what to do with the coffin. It's frustrating to create a thread that you suddenly can't answer to.

I'm still open to suggestions. I like the idea of a monster in a box approach, but upon closer investigation I'm noticing it might not hold up to repeated pounding. I might have to explore a gentler movement. As it is, there's re-gluing and nailing needed to make it sturdy again. Still it is so much fun to create something from a neighbor's gift. :)

·
My other ride is a Ninja
11,017 Posts
I have tested it on various browsers. Firefox, Opera, Brave, and Internet Explorer. The only one I didn't try was Chrome as it crashes my system. But on the plus side, the folks on the back end are diligently trying to figure out what is going wrong. If you see this, they've actually figured out what the problem was. :) Apparently my "It pays to advertise," headline was seen as someone spamming the site and it blocked me from adding anything additional. Go figure. hahaha

Frankie's Girl was nice enough to change the title for me, and now I can post on the thread. Thanks also go out to Bobby2003 who came up with the fix.
i use firefox and have no issues on my work or pc at home strange it is not working for you

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
i use firefox and have no issues on my work or pc at home strange it is not working for you
This was a "one of" kind of thing. I use both Firefox and Opera while on the site and they work just great. It was this thread and only this thread I was having problems with. Turns out there are spam filters in place that saw my title of "it pays to advertise" as a bit too spammy, and it blocked me from posting anything additional on only this one thread. Everywhere else I was fine. Frankie's Girl changed the title for me, and BINGO... I'm back in business posting here as well as everywhere else. :)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If you are thinking about trying a controller, the Arduino Uno is about $15 and they are pretty easy to use.
I guess I've always been a bit skittish to try any of the arduino options because it involved coding. That said, there are geekier folks in the house that do almost all of the electronics for me. I probably could press them into helping out. For that matter, I am having a friend visiting in August who codes for IBM. I bet he would be thrilled to help put together a controller. Nothing like working on your vacation. hahaha

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
There is this option that eliminates the coding and gives a 4 channel controller (there is also an 8 channel option): http://buttonbanger.com/?page_id=37
Thank you very much. While it is still over my head, it appears that there are those in the house who shrug their shoulders and say, "yeah, it makes sense." So, I suspect with the right form of pizza bribery I might actually get a controller somewhere along the line. :)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well, Halloween has come and gone, and our gifted coffin didn't turn out to be any of the ideas we tossed about. The coffin had been out in the weather long enough that the joints in the wood were splitting, and asking it to be bounced around as a monster in a box prop seemed ill advised. Rather, it became our treat box for the kids. We had divided up all of our treats into chocolate, lactose free, chips, and toys. We spread them out into the coffin and let the kids choose what they wanted.

We had so much fun with it as a treat box, we've decided we're going to spruce it up to become our regular treat box from now on. We'll stain it darker and give it a few rope handles for dramatic effect. I'll toss in the head and torso of a skeleton, and then fill in the rest with treats. Since we're who we are, we'll probably animate the skeleton just to have his head turning back and forth. Can't make it too easy for the kids to get their candy, but at least we won't jump scare them. :)

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,854 Posts
I do this for parties! I have a 3 foot pasteboard toepincher that has a size appropriate, motion activated ghoul prop so he "talks" whenever someone reaches into it - I love that you're doing a treat coffin for your TOTs! :D

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
chubstuff - I absolutely love what you did with that coffin. Did you place it outside for the TOT's? Cannot wait to see what you do with it for next Halloween. Great job!! 🎃
The coffin is just inside the door of our home. The kids have to walk up a flight of stairs, slip by a talking skeleton in a rocking chair, and then choose what they want for a treat. Derrick spends the night upstairs to explain to kids what each of the bags are filled with so they can choose their favorite. I'm outside running the hot dog and cider cart for the adults. (And yeah, the kids can have hot dogs too if their parents will allow it.)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts