Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
All our neighbors know that we love Halloween. None of them decorate for the season mind you, but they know we do. The other day I was tending to the garden when our neighbors two doors down dropped by with this:

It's a four and a half foot coffin that the wife had used in one of her school classes. They told me that it was sitting around outside their house soaking up water, and then they remembered us and wanted to know if we'd like it. Needless to say, it has a new home.

So, in the for what it's worth department, I think it helps if your neighbors know what you love. You never know what surprises might come from it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Yes! Inquiring minds want to know!
We were hoping that we might get some suggestions. We have a graveyard and a witches shack that is totally empty at this point. We are pretty good at animating things with wiper motors or actuators. We figure it would be better to brainstorm with folks on the forum than just the two of us. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Yes! Inquiring minds want to know!
We were hoping that we might get some suggestions. We have a graveyard and a witches shack that is totally empty at this point. We are pretty good at animating things with wiper motors or actuators. We figure it would be better to brainstorm with folks on the forum than just the two of us. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Registered
Just a simple door lock actuator to bounce the lid is a great prop. Add a cheap fog machine inside and a red rope light and it gets even better. Of course you'll need some type of controller to operate the actuator or a single channel relay remote to manually bounce the lid.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Just a simple door lock actuator to bounce the lid is a great prop. Add a cheap fog machine inside and a red rope light and it gets even better. Of course you'll need some type of controller to operate the actuator or a single channel relay remote to manually bounce the lid.
That's a great idea. We even have the actuators from fixing our car lock a while back. I wonder if we could just put it on a timer so that it goes off every once in a while? We know how to wire the motors and actuators to make stuff move, we just never have the budget to buy the controllers. Timers on the other hand are pretty cheap.

I usually walk around outside the entire night stoking the fire and chatting with folks if the weather is agreeable. It鈥檚 just that in Oregon, the weather rarely is agreeable Halloween night. But I suppose I could position myself close enough to the shack to use a hand held relay. That鈥檚 the way we make our skeleton talk. What do you think? Would a timer work? Would a hand held button I press to get the coffin bouncing be better? I know you have experience that is far beyond ours.

We were thinking it would be fun to create a display where inside the witches shack the witches have made a batch of something wrong and all hell is breaking loose. A coffin with a reanimated critter trying to get out seems perfect. It won't be a walk through so much as a peek in the windows to see what's happening kind of display.

Typical Ghoul Next Door
super weird... trying to take care of that accidental duplicate and I can't!

ETA: okay, went to different browser and worked just fine, so appears to be an issue with my Firefox. Will update to the admin that there seems to be something glitchy happening with Firefox and this thread. :unsure:

Registered
That's a great idea. We even have the actuators from fixing our car lock a while back. I wonder if we could just put it on a timer so that it goes off every once in a while? We know how to wire the motors and actuators to make stuff move, we just never have the budget to buy the controllers. Timers on the other hand are pretty cheap.

I usually walk around outside the entire night stoking the fire and chatting with folks if the weather is agreeable. It鈥檚 just that in Oregon, the weather rarely is agreeable Halloween night. But I suppose I could position myself close enough to the shack to use a hand held relay. That鈥檚 the way we make our skeleton talk. What do you think? Would a timer work? Would a hand held button I press to get the coffin bouncing be better? I know you have experience that is far beyond ours.

We were thinking it would be fun to create a display where inside the witches shack the witches have made a batch of something wrong and all hell is breaking loose. A coffin with a reanimated critter trying to get out seems perfect. It won't be a walk through so much as a peek in the windows to see what's happening kind of display.
A simple relay remote would work fine if you wanna just manually bounce the lid. A timer wouldn't really work, it would just open the lid once and then close per cycle, not really a good effect. Here's an ebay listing for $14, 4 - single channel relay receiver modules and a 4-channel transmitter. This would give you 3 extra receiver modules for other props, all operated from the single 4-ch transmitter.
There are tons of listings for these if you want just a single RX/TX. Of course I can always set you up with a bare bones controller that will be completely automatic (and random) fairly cheap if you wanna go that route. A wiper motor and a cam wheel with different size cogs on it and a timer would give you a decent effect also.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
A simple relay remote would work fine if you wanna just manually bounce the lid.

Of course I can always set you up with a bare bones controller that will be completely automatic (and random) fairly cheap if you wanna go that route.
I'm kind of liking the idea of making the coffin into a monster in a box that I could turn on and off with a relay switch. That's all stuff we can do fairly well. But a bare bones controller that can be used for a more elaborate prop seems nice. Not that we have such a prop, but we can dream. :)

Registered
Several years ago a member here posted a great idea. Have some business cards or small flyers printed and pass them out to parents of TOTers on Halloween. Ask them to call you when they're cleaning out the garage of things like wood, paint, furniture, etc. If I recall, he got a pretty good response for a $10 investment.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
testing without ublock... and it works!
Regrettably, the same approach had no effect on my ability to post using my computer. I still have to acess the site through a browser on my phone and make the post there. And the phone browser blocks ads as well, So, I am confused.

My other ride is a Ninja
Regrettably, the same approach had no effect on my ability to post using my computer. I still have to acess the site through a browser on my phone and make the post there. And the phone browser blocks ads as well, So, I am confused.
what brouser are you using ?

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
what brouser are you using ?
I have tested it on various browsers. Firefox, Opera, Brave, and Internet Explorer. The only one I didn't try was Chrome as it crashes my system. But on the plus side, the folks on the back end are diligently trying to figure out what is going wrong. If you see this, they've actually figured out what the problem was. :) Apparently my "It pays to advertise," headline was seen as someone spamming the site and it blocked me from adding anything additional. Go figure. hahaha

Frankie's Girl was nice enough to change the title for me, and now I can post on the thread. Thanks also go out to Bobby2003 who came up with the fix.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts