Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately it's been hard to find anybody else in the area (besides myself) who decorates outdoors for Halloween. I might have blamed it on the hurricane if I hadn't noticed a steady decline of Halloween spirit over the past 5 years or so. Where I used to see a haunt in one street out of 25 or so, now there's only one, maybe two others I've seen in the entire city. Same thing with the local/amateur haunted houses, they are all disappearing or closed semi-permanently.

Is this a trend? Are fewer people in your neighborhoods haunting? Is there hope in other areas of the country? :D

We hoped by getting out our stuff early this year, it would spark a mini-trend like it did somewhat last year on our street. No luck so far, but one of our neighbors did ask where we got our skellies, so there's still a possibility!

·
Registered
42 Posts
This will be our first year handing out candy as our kids finally want to go out trick or treating on there own. It does seem in our town there have been less and less people who really get into decorating or even hand out candy. My daughters grade has the largest number of students in one grade the school has ever had, which means that if those kids also go out on their own there are a lot of parents who can stay home and haunt.

Out of 10 blocks of houses, I would say we look forward to about 3 or 4 houses that put in a little extra time on decorating. This will be our first year and I'm starting slow since I both work and attend school full time and just don't have the time to get anything done. But I'm hoping to wow kids with Atmosfearfx ghostly apparitions playing in the window in addition to my normal decorations. No one in town has done it so I'm excited. Each year we will add more. I am disappointed more people don't participate more, I mean, I have been waiting to have my own home to decorate and scare kids since I was a teenager haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,677 Posts
I've actually seen an increase in home Halloween decor in our immediate area, at least within a few blocks of us. A house who had never before decorated has an awesome graveyard display on one side of their yard, and one of the HD skeleton horses pulling a wooden cart with a coffin on the other. Two of my across the street neighbors want to set up small displays this year so guess what!? I'm lending one a couple of zombie props and a few tombstones, and the other a witch prop and sound cd to use. They have seen our display for the past few years and want to join in. Our city has always been a pretty big Halloween town with lots of Halloween related activities. There are several impressive home haunts and a lot of very nice smaller displays. Even the simply decorated houses seem to be holding steady.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
There have never been very many over the top decorators in our town; one house that has a yard full (literally) of giant inflatables, a few here and there with some spider webs and lights, some that do the traditional jack o lantern on the porch, and me with the graveyard. That doesn't seem to change much from year to year. What I have seen decline is the number of people with their lights on handing out treats. So many dark houses on Halloween night that I'm afraid it's just a matter of time before people abandon trick or treating altogether.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Then I wonder why they are predicting that this will be the most lucrative year for businesses in the Halloween industry?
I know in my area I am seeing an uptick in people putting more effort into decorating and we have more Spirit stores and Halloween cities than ever.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'd say in my neighborhood, the amount of houses that do any sort of decorating at all has increased a little bit in the 7 years we've lived there. When we moved in, hardly anyone decorated much. Now there's at least one or two other houses on my block that go all-out, like me. Several other houses on the block decorate modestly, with a hay bale and some pumpkins and maybe something on the door, that kind of thing. And at least a couple of others just do a traditional jack o' lantern or two on the porch.

I think the more you do, and the more consistently you do it, year after year, sometimes you end up "shaming" your neighbors into participating, or upping their game to try to one-up your display. That's been my experience at least.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I haven't seen either an increase or a decrease in my immediate area, which is just a handful.
But then again I only see what's out in my limited driving area.
Maybe there's a street or circle all decked out nearby that I never get to see.

Spirit, Target, Walmart and Michael's just to name a few have really scaled back their product this year. Seems like a few years ago might have been the "golden age" of in store retail Halloween products because it was everywhere and it was great. Maybe it's been shifted online now? Too bad because I really need to see and hear some items to get ideas on how to use them to fit what I have in mind.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I don't know about Spirit, Walmart or Michael's, but Target had a pretty good selection this year, I think. Maybe not quite as much as last year, but still pretty good. They did have a TON of Day of the Dead stuff last year, like about 2 or 3 aisles worth as I remember, and this year they had about half as much, or less (which is fine by me, can't stand that stuff personally).

Home Depot had a great selection this year, probably as good or better than last year, for sure. Lowe's also had a nice selection of Halloween merchandise, although nowhere near as good as Home Depot.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have seen a decrease in my Town as well. Fewer houses seem to get decorated for Halloween. I have done a huge display for the past 18 years and will do one again this year. The numbers have dropped off though. We used to get 300 + kids on Halloween. We now get only around 100.

Our Town started "Trick or Trunk" at the local park, so kids don't go door to door as much. As few will still come out afterward, but Trick or Trunk has definitely affected the turnout in our neighborhood. :p

·
Registered
330 Posts
When I first moved to this town some 10-11 years ago, no one on our street decorated at all. Over time, more and more houses on that street began decorating. Everything from a yard full of inflatables, to every blow mold decoration you could think of. It was great to see people getting into the spirit!

After I moved out (divorce), the ex didn't put anything out, though she had all of it. Now, no one in my kids' neighborhood decorates anymore. :(

·
Registered
214 Posts
Definitely a decline in my neighborhood. Not that everyone used to dress up their house for Halloween, but most houses had a jack-o-lantern or two, maybe a cardboard skeleton on the door, and a big bowl of candy for the little monsters. Now it is maybe two or three houses per block, and some, like mine, have only one. I think a big part of it is that I live in an older neighborhood from the 1950's. Most families no longer have children at home. A lot of the new people moving in come from cultures that don't celebrate Halloween, and don't understand the attraction of begging and scary things. Other parents are reluctant to take their kids trick-or-treating, preferring "safer" alternatives like community parties or trick-or-treating at a shopping mall.

Halloween is big business because those who still celebrate are happy to spend money. (Who, moi? :eek: ) Some are staging Halloween parties in their condos and apartments, or decorating those community parties. A lot of decorations are being sold, but they are concentrated among the True Believers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I remember when I was a kid almost every houses decorated. Now I feel like no one decorates! I have a fantasy of the neighborhood decorating like in Hocus Pocus- but that's never going to happen. Now I'm excited if somebody just puts out a pumpkin. At least that's something.

·
Registered
319 Posts
When I first moved to this town some 10-11 years ago, no one on our street decorated at all. Over time, more and more houses on that street began decorating. Everything from a yard full of inflatables, to every blow mold decoration you could think of. It was great to see people getting into the spirit!

After I moved out (divorce), the ex didn't put anything out, though she had all of it. Now, no one in my kids' neighborhood decorates anymore. :(
Start decorating your house and see if you can bring back some of the spirit of Halloween in your neighborhood.
Who knows you might start a trend and more people will follow suit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I live in a new neighborhood (4 years old) with lots of young family's with kids but out of 300 homes 6 are decorated as of today. I always go overboard with my cemetery scene hoping it would inspire people to decorate. Maybe people are just afraid their decorations will be taken and wait until the last minute. I hope to get more than the 75 ToT's from last year. Keep on haunting people.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Other than our house there are very few in the neighborhood that decorate. There are a couple houses that put out inflatables and i am very happy to see that because it is at least something. Our street comes off of a main highway and TOT night we can watch the cars come down from the highway. Most make a B-line right for our house and a lot of people just come to see the display that night. It is great but there are only a dozen or so houses that night that hand out candy and the rest are all dark. Just means more fun for us as everyone comes to our place.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Then I wonder why they are predicting that this will be the most lucrative year for businesses in the Halloween industry?
I know in my area I am seeing an uptick in people putting more effort into decorating and we have more Spirit stores and Halloween cities than ever.
that's funny, seeing in my area yes we have one more spirts but they all are very small and mostly costumes and athough I can not afford to go
Halloween shopping this year the stores all seems pretty limited in what they have I thought it might be because of online sale's ,
the same here
Madame Leota there is just me and one person with an alcove and the other with blow ups in mine but growing up I can only remember two houses that did more
with music and a kinda skit, I do relize mine is a bitt over the top though

·
Registered
96 Posts
I decorate my yard and my next door neighbors yard. Consequently, in my block two houses have Halloween decor.

Otherwise, from my vantage point, front yard displays in my area are a little down this year, but we had to contend with a Hurricane and Halloween is still a couple of weeks away.

Lovely Day...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts