Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K, so I have my entire theme set out for this year as pirates. But instead of just the normal pirate theme I want my space to look like it's a sunken pirate ship. I will have the typical treasure chests and skelly pirates along with crates and barrels...I will also have barnacles, seaweed and a kraken busting in.

My buffet will consist of silver trays filled abundantly with old food (moldy cheeses and breads, moldy fruit tray and maggot infested meats and cupcakes)...

For lighting I plan to have wave lights reflecting on either the wall or ceiling and several blue and green lights throughout the space....

Here's my problem, I really really want to include candles into my scenes. I would like a candelabra on the buffet as well as wheel lighting. Now I know candles wouldn't be lit if this ship was truly underwater...and I know I can still have the candelabra and wagon wheels with extinguished candles rather than lit....but I really like the idea of the orange glow from the candles piercing through the blue and green lighting.

what do u think? Can it make sense or am I just reaching too far? I really want them but I also want everything to make sense.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
There is really no reason to forego candles. Just say that they have an eternal glow that cannot be extinguished;)

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
Personally, I don't worry about everything making perfect sense. Anyway, can't ghosts make candles light when they want to? Maybe they could be flickering candles, the water is still trying to put them out. Everything sounds great so far, by the way.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
I do not have an answer for you... but I am laughing softly to myself. Do you know how many conversations my husband and I have had where we are playing out different scenarios so that our decorations 'make sense'? Then we catch ourselves and laugh. Sometimes we find ourselves actually arguing about 'that does not make sense'. We do this all the time.

Everything you posted sounds divine! I hope you find the answer to your candle situation that sits most comfortably with you. I cannot wait to see pictures of it all!!

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Pumpkinpie, I'm kind of chuckling too. I think we all to some degree want things to be just perfect. Your stuff always looks great and I seriously doubt anyone would comment on it...now watch there will be one...someone like my husband who likes to play devil's advocate too...but just turn to them and say, "you know it is all make believe don't you!?" Light some candles, the ones that burn oxygen from the H2O.... I haven't been following the party threads yet, but your underwater party sounds wonderful.

·
>^..^<
795 Posts
Maybe they were shainghaied for the pirates' entertainment - why not? :D

This might sound silly, but if you put a little black cardboard eye-dot and two triangle tail fins sticking up off each bulb, you could have the "flames" of the candles be bioluminescent fish - seems like something a sunken ghost ship might use for its lighting. Or if the bulbs aren't LED and are therefore going to get hot, you could use a little piece of clotheshanger wire to hold the eye dot and tail fin off the bulb in a frame around it.

You could put some string-lights of fish from the walls and ceiling, too, to add to the effect. Maybe remove a random bulb here and there from them so they're more irregularly spaced like swimming fish.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you want candles, go for it. Everything doesn't have to be a totally perfect fit into a theme. If you and your guests are having a great time, then it is perfect. Odds are that nobody will even notice besides you. (Trust me, I worry about little details too, and have found this to usually be the case).
Besides, you could just claim that the candles were haunted or that they were made of some material that stays lit underwater if anyone asks. Even in Pirates of the Caribbean, they have Davy Jones, who stays underwater most of his existence smoking a pipe. In one of the visual guides to the movie, it makes the claim that the pipe stays lit underwater. So its not that far out for candles to work too.

Basically, do what you want to do. Have fun. If anybody calls you out, give them whichever answer you like best, and then don't invite them next year. :D

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,128 Posts
Ok girlie - This is what you do. I did this last year for my fallout - not sure what colors to use besides green and this is how I figured it out. Set up some stuff at night. Put the blue lights green lights darin whatever and how ever you want them. Then put in the candles. Maybe you need a skelly holding a lantern looking at the scene. Maybe you need a skelly chugging down some rum with some tea lights inside him or in the bottle. Maybe you dont want to plunk down the candles down, but inside stuff , falling over, but they are still lit and adding the glow you want - but looking a little disheveled.
Maybe use the wheel lamp in the kitchen. or hanging sideways like its falling, or on the ground like its crashed, but the candles are still on.

Hope this helps! These are my quick ramblings after the 4th of July fun and festivities! (my 2nd FAVORITE HOLIDAY --FYI) p.s.s my hubby is complete opposite- he wants everything to look realistic. ugghh

·
Girl Gone Mad
1,631 Posts

·
Girl Gone Mad
1,631 Posts
could always make them look more like ghost lights, or willo' the wisps....but a cursed candle or ghost candle that can't be extinguished sounds cool too...could always have a story similar to Hocus Pocus that the candle only burns on a certain night, for a certain period of time until the ghosts of the ship disappear...for an amount of time?
anyway was originally thinking about these http://www.pinterest.com/pin/375909900120418435/ use the shape no face and light with color of choice. You can "float them" or just put them around. Then I found this while trying to find that. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/231020655858210137/
Just a thought, since they are usually associated with hauntings and things especially around water and swamps. But candle is cool too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts