Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend is helping a guy turn his corn maze into a haunted corn maze for the first time. There is going to be a haunted house in the middle of the maze. He doesn't want to advertise that there is a haunted house, just the maze and wants to surprise people. I think that the advertisements should include the fact that there is also a haunted house. My thought being that maybe some who aren't into going into a maze may do so because there is also a house to go through.

So I thought that my HalloweenForum friends would be the perfect people to ask for their opinions. What do you think? I don't know the guy doing this and it is in a different part of the state so it doesn't really matter to me. But he is having the local fire department help and is making a donation to them for doing so and I would like for it to be successful. The majority of fire departments in Oklahoma are volunteer and can use all the help they can get.

Thank you for your response.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
He needs to be talked into separating them into two attractions at the same location, and advertise both with separate admissions and a discounted bundle ticket. Price the separate admissions steeply - like $7.50 for each attraction, $10 to $12 for the bundle of both. I'd also have a "danger route" in the maze with scares and its own exit, which will hopefully bring people back to the start to buy a haunted house ticket.

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
I like the idea of a surprise if I was going thru the maze. But think I agree with you that somehow he should publicize that there's a haunted house somewhere in the cornfield that you may or may not find on your journey. Going thru a haunted house will take more time as well and there may be scares that attract someone. If haunted houses aren't their thing (maybe the little kids will be too frightened) or it's taken them too long to get that far as it is, then there should be a way to skip the house and continue on.

I could see doing an ad with a haunted house in the middle and cornfields surrounding it. Donating to the local fire department is a wonderful idea.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I really like Blarghity's suggestion of making them separate attractions. I think more money could be made that way, but if your friend won't/can't do that, then I definitely think they should publicize that the Haunted House is there. Not only because some people would be pulled in more by a Haunted House, so you could miss out on sales if you don't mention it, but also from the time perspective already mentioned. Also, as a parent, if I was with my somewhat younger kids, I'd want to really know what we were getting into before agreeing to go in.

You don't mention this, but I'd want to make sure that a comment about the proceeds going to the local fire departments was on the publicity ads too.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Haunted house is the attraction, everything is just background.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I agree with almost everyone else here, separate. Not only that, but some places do day/night corn mazes. The day maze is fun for the families with little kids. At night, the monsters come out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would want to know if it is there, for one, yeah, because mazes annoy the crap out of me and I'd have no desire to go otherwise, but for two, IF I were to go to a corn maze, I would probably consider that a family activity and would bring my small children. I would want to know if there was a reason it wasn't appropriate for kids, you know? So at least he should make that info available, like "small kids not advised" or something, you know.

·
Hungry For Death
729 Posts
Yup Yup. I agree! Either advertise it

Or as Blarghity said, make them seperate attractions.

Reasons for both are as the same as previously stated.

Love the idea though! :)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I'm with Blarghity - Separate them with single price tickets or both on a reduced ticket. It seems all of the big successful haunt attractions handle it that way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts