Halloween Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I've posted in another thread my idea for windproofing tombstones. It's worked great, with an exception I need to fine tune. I need the help of the collective brainpower of this great forum to come up with a better way. Instead of reposting the entire process, I'll just post a link to that other thread here.

The issue I'm having was one I anticipated actually. I just didn't think it would happen so quickly. Basically I attach the styrofoam stone to a wood backing of the same exact shape. To protect the edges of the wood, as well as blend the two materials so it looks seamless, I used spackle covered by a few layers of exterior house paint to try and prevent moisture from getting in. I knew it would eventually be an issue using spackle to blend the seam, but I thought it would last a few years. The thought behind using spackle is it's sandable for blending purposes. The obvious problem? Eventual cracking and peeling...

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Trunk Plant

So, what's the best way to make the seal, and still have a material that's paintable and workable so that I can effectively blend the materials?

My first thought, even before doing these stones was to use Flex Paste. Opinions? Anyone use the stuff and know if it's workable like I need? I've read of nightmares from people that have purchased and then received tubs of the stuff that was rock hard upon arrival. It also doesn't sit on the shelf well, so use the whole tub, or may as well use some and throw it out. What about just regular window caulk? Will it hold the latex paint? Anything else?

That pic is only one stone. A few have split like this so I'm a little desperate to fix this sooner than later so the wood doesn't start to warp in this rainy October weather.

·
Registered
23 Posts
DAP Wood Filler seems to do the trick. It advertises itself as interior/exterior. I use it to fill in gaps my layers of foam. Can smooth it with a wet sponge when wet like drywall paste, but dries much harder.
Paint Camera accessory Rectangle Material property Service

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have not used flex-paste, but I did try a super stretchy caulk recently on another project. It took some time to dry, longer than regular latex caulk. It was called Sashco Big Stretch Caulk and there is a gray color. I believe it is paintable but it stretches more than paint will so paint will probably crack. You can NOT sand it, but maybe for the bottom edge?

It is a shame that is happening so soon to the tombstones, they look really solid.

·
Typing Away
3,693 Posts
Like Jekyll said I use exterior wood filler and to date have not had a problem.

·
Registered
494 Posts
It doesn't matter what material you use it's still going to crack. The reason isn't just moisture it's expansion/contraction. The wood and foam expand differently with moisture and temperature variations so even with Drylok, gap sealer or other materials the crack will creep up again. My suggestion is to remove the plywood backer and use just the foam. You can then coat it with Drylok or drywall spackle and it will make the prop heavy enough that wind shouldn't be an issue.

Edited my original response to include these photos. I could have sworn I had already posted them previously but couldn't find it:
Cuisine Wood Ingredient Food Cake

I used a long concrete drill bit (about 12"+ long) to predrill the holes and inserted 1/2" PVC selves attached with construction adhesive. This will allow the tombstone be be mounted over 3/8" dia (#6) rebar that is staked in the ground or I can attach wooden dowels to a wood base to install over a hard surface like your driveway. Every October I get horrible thunderstorms with 30-40 mph winds and all of my tombstones stay up. Some of them are rather large 3'-4' tall.
Organism Art Font Skeleton Visual arts

Plant Cemetery Tree Trunk Grave

·
Registered
45 Posts
Gorilla Glue Wood Glue. Highly waterproof when it dries.

Part of the issue that you're running into here is delamination.

That's the styrofoam separating from the wood backing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts