Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Reaper Queen
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am extremely stressed out, and need to vent, so please bear with me,
many htings are going one, one of which is my son, and his car, it has been broke for a while, he has been out of a job, so no money , he finallly got a used fuel pump(the problem), a guy in his appartment complex fixs cars on the side, said he would fix it for him, took it, 3 weeks later no car, so we started bugging the guy, got it back last night, it already died, when he tried driving it, I think the guy put a new fuel filter in it, and didn't fix the oterh at all, and just wanted us out of his hair, but we can't prove it, he also is a scarey guy, I i don't know what to do, he has no more money, just got new plates and insurance today, the guy says he ids doing diagnostic tests on it, but who knows or trust him, when I say he is scarey, I mean real scarey, who knows what he would do scarey, didn't realize it until after he had the car, he talks a good talk, so many things have gone wrong with my son, he is about ready to give up, is extremely depressed, and now I am so dtressed I could have a panic attack at any minute, I al trying to see what I can sell or pawn, I am at my wits end, right now, am flipping between panic attacks, screaming fits, wantinging to beat the sh*t outta something, and wanting to cry for hours. this probably doesn't make sense, I am flipping out

·
Incarnation of evil
916 Posts
Sorry to hear. I work at an auto parts store here in Texas. If I could I'd give you some help. The fuel pumps today are so hard to get to. Usually in the fuel tank. And you really don't want to put a used one in. Because of the difficulty of replacing them. Its best to replace the pump and filter at the same time. You really don't want trash from the tank damaging the new unit. It could be a fuel pump relay. Easily replacable. If the fuel tank has alot of trash in it it could clog the new filter. Most cars have two fuel filter on them, one in the tank usually refered as the sock filter then the in line filter. If the fuel pump gets clogged it could burn up the pump. It relys on the fuel to regulate the speed of the pump. These new cars you never want to run them out of gas. If you do it will shut down, and if you try to keep starting it it will burn up the fuel pump as well. So if you know it is out of gas its best to get gas and not try restarting it. Once you get new gas you will need to prime it a couple time before trying to start it. Turn the key in the on position (not the start position) twice for only a couple of seconds. That will prime the fuel pump. If I could help let me know.

·
Banned
535 Posts
First off dont be listening to some"scary guy" that "works" on cars on the side. Second off whats the car year and make and model? Was this a i assume its the fuel pump kind of thing or know for a fact and if its a newer car did it throw any codes? Might not be fuel pump at all but a ignition problem.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Bethene, I'm so sorry to hear of the hardships.... times are so tough right now, it's just hard. I hope that venting let out some of the frustration, if not... do whatever it is you do when you're mad - go for a jog, clean the house, go stand in the garage and just scream. Once you get some of the anger out and can be calm, you will be able to face the challenges head on.... if you can be strong, it will help him be strong. This is a good place for venting, and maybe even someone can help you figure out what to do.

Hang in there :)

·
Banned
535 Posts
Heres another thought goto key on and have someone at the rear of the car and listen to see if you hear a swirling noise? If you hear it the pump is most likely good.

·
Banned
535 Posts
Sorry few more thoughts. I have had bad gas in the past that was watered down and also if fuel injected could be injectors. Just need more info year make and model....And dont put past the thought of ping pong balls in tank either or trash in the fuel line.

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
As TT said what kind of car and year.Some vehicles have onboard diagnostics if you know how to reach them.What exsactly is the car doing? HAs the car been properly maintained as in basic tune up? Plugged air filters will mess up how it runs.Heck now adays a loose gas cap can trigger a check engine light.Maybe with a bit more info all of us can guide you in the right direction.

·
Reaper Queen
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it is a 99 cadillac catera, it ran for about 30 muinues when he got it back, now will only run about 10 or so, the fuel was still init at the same level,. so I believe that the guy never changed the pump, as far a buying a new one, it was too expensive, and the guy didn't turn scarey until after he had the car, I will have my son get on and read what you guys have written, thanks so much, I am a little more sane today, but not much! he asked a few garages what their opinion was, and all said it could be fuel filter, fuel pump or the electical from the pump(?) not sure about that last one, but will have him check into theis thanks all!!!

·
Banned
535 Posts
Well this is not the answers your looking for but take a read through these pages and no im not trying to scare you. I have had my fair share of lemons too. If it was me i would try to sale it and get something reliable and cheap to fix but thats just a suggestion and i understand that might not be a option right now but when its fixed GET RID OF IT! 1999 Cadillac Catera Comments - Carsurvey.org 68 comments worth. Sounds like the car parts are extremely pricey and the car is a lemon at that and difficult to work on and no mechanic likes to see one arrive. Never buy a caddy....I would not take a caddy for free.

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
Do basics first.Check air filter,plugs and for mouse nests in air box.(happens alot) Then find a decent tech to check fuel pressure in the rail or if fuel pump is putting out proper flow.

·
Incarnation of evil
916 Posts
So it does run for a time then quits. Maybe a crank sensor. If the pump is whirling I would rule out a fuel pump. But not completely. Most cars have a crank sensor and when it acts up the car will die then restart later. I would have the fuel pressure checked, if its fine and just not getting fire from the coil it may be the crank sensor. Its pretty easy to replace for a good shop. But may be a little pricey. I will get some prices tomorrow if you like. Of course it will be Texas prices.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Man, I hate to pile on but it could be that at one time, water was in the gas tank. After time, it causes the tank to rust and then the rust particles keep clogging new fuel filters. Your mechanic could have done the repairs but the root cause hasn't been identified yet. There also could be a chance that this was a car from Katrina :( sorry.... and now the water damage problems are starting to show up.

In regards to water being in the tank, many years ago I had the same problem from a car (not a Katrina car) I bought from a used car lot :rolleyes: too. After 6 fuel filter replacements I literally ended up taking out the gas tank, having a service clean out the tank and I installed it back in. I also replaced the fuel pump, the fuel filter near it and the filter near to the carburetor (there are two filters). While I was at it, I flushed out the fuel lines to. Then it was finally fixed.

But, if this car is water-damaged from a flood, I would get rid of it. Your problems will just be beginning.

Here's a link to an article about 'Katrina Cars': Don Oldenburg - Katrina Cars and Rita Rip-Offs - washingtonpost.com

·
Reaper Queen
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the input from every one, I will tell my son the things suggested here, and go from there,
terra, I don't think this was a Katerina car, although I have heard of that problem, the kids he bought it from had it for a while, sold it for school tutition, but thanks for the tip, asways something to think of.
he got the fuel pump back from the guy who supposedly fixed it, I almost think he didn't even fix it, cuz there was as much gas in it as when it started out, he said he didn't drain the gas, i, just put the new pump in with the gas in it, using so me tool to hold it. I don't know. the thing is it ran good the first day for over a half hour, but the next day only 10 minutes, then wouldn't restart. Now it starts but dies after 10 or so minutes.
The prpbl;em is money, needs money to fix the car, but can't go looking for a job around with out a car, catch 22. We do have some bus service, but not every where, so that makes it hard too, I just wish things would just opnce go right with him, you wouldn't believe the things that have happened to him over the last 2 years,
As far as getting rid of the catera, maybe once it is fixed, but who knows what he will want to do, first it need to be fixed.
Again, thank you to all who wrote and tried to help, the people on this forum are the best!! I am so glad to be apart of this wonderful group of fantastic haunters!!!

·
Incarnation of evil
916 Posts
One problem with advise is its just advise. Its hard to fix a problem with a car long distance. I am in the business and if i need something done I could find people to fix it fairly cheap. But for someone such aa you its hard. I feel for you. I don't know if your son knows anything about fixing cars, but I do beleive that the crank sensor could be fixed by just about anyone. The crank sensor runs $39.99. And is located at the back of the block near the transmission. Its one bolt and a long wire connection. I'm not sure if you could see it but by the repair information I have it seems easily replacable. Of course I know a little more about cars. The problem to me sounds like a crank sensor. We have had a problem with that part before. And it was a GM car. I have had other people have the same problem where it will act up periodically then only get worse. The fuel pump runs $261.99. I don't think its a fuel pump relay, if it went out it would go completely out. I will try and post a scemematic of the location of the sensor. Sorry if I lived near you I would fix it for free.

·
Incarnation of evil
916 Posts
I uploaded the pic. for the location of the crank sensor. Its in album #494. Sorry can't post worth a crap. If someone could post it for me please do, thanks. Hope the helps.

·
Reaper Queen
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Blakheart, thank you , the weird thing is,my son was on line studing alot of sites on catera;s and it sounded to him with what folks are saying that it was the crank sensor too, i will tell him to look at the album that you posted, thank you for letting me know what youu think, and keeping me posted on it (and offering to do it for free, even if I know you are far away, its the thought that counts, thank you.)
also, your tylee kittie is so adorable!!!

·
Incarnation of evil
916 Posts
Its pretty simple to replace but not sure how much stuff you may have to move to get to it. Hopefully none. If it is a front wheeldrive (should be ) it shoud be easy as long as its on the side facing the front of the car. Some front wheel cars are turning the motor the other way around. Oh and I should mention the this crank sensor is for a Catera with the R engine code. You should be able to check the VIN # for the car, it shoud have a R for the 8th digit in the VIN. Hope this helps.

·
Reaper Queen
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know about vin number or anything, but my son got the part and put it in tonight, is checking things now, it seems to be what was wrong, but nervous yet, I haven't heard anything and hewas going to take it out, so I am thinking no news is good news (keeping fingers crossed!) thank you again for all your help!! I will let you know how it turns out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts