Halloween Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone - last year I made my first real Halloween costume and it was an enormous hit. I entered into a local costume contest at a bar where the grand prize was $1000. I definitely should have won it, but instead came in 4th place. Anyway, I had a lot of fun making the costume and doing the contest, and I was a huge hit in the neighborhood for trick or treating.

So, I'm already starting to plan something for this year. I need to do something even better this time. I am determined to win that $1000! Here are some videos of last year's costume. I think I want to do a similar type of costume, but not sure what exactly. I like larger than life costumes, that are almost like giant puppets. I was considering trying something with some motorized components, or animatronics, but not sure if I have time or patience for that. Was also thinking of incorporating some sort of illusion into the costume. i.e. a part of the costume that looks stationary, but surprises people or starts moving when I want.

Any ideas would be most welcome!

This was my living room experimentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdHXFsAV848

Round I of the contest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If-HrzdQn0M

Round II of the contest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GqGYblVREk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I checked out the video and I have no idea how you didn't win first place. I would like to see the ones that came in before you (I have a feeling it may have been rigged LOL). You could try the same type of costume with a different theme, perhaps a ghost or an alien where you can use some lighting effects that would be easy to rig. If you search battery light string on amazon there are a lot of different options. If it were me I would go for a goul/ghost effect supersized with several layers of sheer white fabric and use blue lighting effects underneath. It will give you the illusion that you are looking for and create a flowing effect. You could use the same type of mask or somethething with more white in it to give you a spectral feel. I have used small fans mounted to wire hoops to make the bottom of a costume constantly move which gives the floating effect (also it makes wearing a costume in a hot bar or party much cooler :).

Don't know if that is up your alley, ( I already am mapping this costume out in my head :p so if you make one I would love to see it.)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree with niteryder-- I have no idea how you did not come in first! Your costume is more elaborate than any that I've done-- I admire it and, unfortunately, have no advice. I wish you the best and look forward to seeing what you do, though! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. The person that one had a homemade pepakura Iron Man suit - which was pretty incredible and amazingly detailed. However, it was not very original. The 2nd place winners had a homemade Predator costume - also amazing and detailed, and unoriginal! 3rd place was an Avatar. So I guess the lesson is, if you want to win this contest, dress up as a known character! It was frustrating though. I was more pissed that I had to keep that huge, hot and heavy costume on for several hours to find out I only got 4th place.

Niteryder - those are some great ideas. I will definitely keep it in mind. I may just do a variation of the costume I had from last year. I do need to step it up a bit though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts