Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Looking for recommendation to use in a prop for sound. I don't want to use a CD player and I want something that I can leave in the prop. I want to be able to record about 90 seconds of sound to it also. I have power external speakers that I can use. Any suggestions would be helpful. This is the first time I am creating a prop that will have sound with it.

Rick

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it will be animated and no pics yet. Going to start it within the next week or so. Doing the monster in the box prop.

Rick

·
Registered
576 Posts
An old tape recorder/player with an Endless Loop cassette. The cassette is built with a very short tape and continuously plays what is recorded.

After recording and setup, you push the play button and connect the power. I use a security light motion detector with 110 outlet adaptors in the sockets. When motion is detected, the socket is powered and the tape plays.

When I made my MIAB the dang thing made so much noise I didn't need any sound. :)

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
If you have powered speakers with the proper audio input connector, you can pick up a really cheap mp3 player that looks like a thumbdrive with an audio out that matches your speakers (you don't need much storage space on it--the one I bought at BIG LOTS was around $15 for 1GB--way more space than I need for my halloween prop soundtrack). Most mp3 players have a "repeat/loop" feature, and you would just select the track for the prop you're going to use with it. You could store different tracks to be used with different props and have it ready to go next year.

If your speakers don't have the right connector you might be able to find an adapter to make it work. Radio Shack is good for this kind of stuff.

BTW the powered speakers I bought for props last year were something like $6-8 bucks at BIG LOTS. They had the audio in connector I needed and really sounded pretty good when I used them, especially for what they were and what I paid. Pretty compact too, so fairly easy to hide.

I have seen an all-in-one sound recorder with chip and motion detector out there from a USA source, but for 90 seconds of sound it was several hundred dollars I think. More than I would spend for a home haunt and with forum sites like this there's other stuff one can do for a lot less money.

·
Registered
638 Posts
one more vote for ghostofspookie's idea.

You can also pick up those xmas ornaments that record sound, or the cards from hallmark that record sound, or the little gadgets you put on the fridge...whatever. The quality isnt that great, but you cut the speaker off, hack the trigger for the playback a bit and solder on a rca or headphone connector and run it to your self powered speakers. works great is cheap and very easy to customise for your application.

-DK

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was doing a little looking around today on the forum and I see people have used some type of board with a chip on it. They kinda look like something out of a computer. What are these all about and are the costly and easy to use or setup?

·
Registered
638 Posts
different people use different ones, but what i think that you are looking at are prop controllers. Not all of them come with onboard sound, and the ones that do are pretty expensive. The basic ones (google "prop-1") run you about $40.00 and work pretty well for a single simple prop. These do not have onboard sound, but you can use them as triggers for your sound...they are pretty darn easy to setup and work well as long as you dont spray them down with seawater or try to use them as stepping stones.

There are SO FRIGGIN MANY products out there now for home haunters that it is hard to keep up with them sometimes, but the more you read, and the more you take a good hard look at the prop, the more you will be able to figure it out to modify it for your own uses.

I am cheap and also have better than average mechanical/electrical/electronic skills, so I try to build stuff on my own vice buying it...but if you keep looking, there is bound to be the exact thing that you are looking for.

-DK

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One of the things I have thought about is using a cheap MP3 player. Down load the audio that I want to use and hook up a pair of power speakers. Question, my complete halloween display is controlled by a timer to turn on and off each night so I don't need to be home. If I use a MP3 player will I need to go out and push "play" each night to start the music once the power is on outside? If so is there any way around this?

Rick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts