Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My son had his first accident last week (why I've been a little absent).

He's fine and all, but I'm now in the market of a new car for 2 teenage boys to be driving...

We liked the above aztec for it being AWD for our winters, handling like a car, but being a little bigger in case of said accident. (he likely would have been a lot worse in my little corolla)

So, looking for something in the same general 'class', but not specifically tied to it. Just need something reliable, easy to repair (the aztec was not easy on the repair side), AWD for our winters, and safe/easy to drive.

I haven't really paid much attention to the auto industry for the last 15 years, so am a little lost. What do those in the know recommend?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I would look for a 2001- 2006 Chevy Tahoe or Gmc Yukon, probably the most reliable vehicle you could get. Probably wouldn't worry about the miles too much, just look around it and determine how well it was taken care of , pretty safe also. We have a 2009 Tahoe with 200k on it now, wife loves it, the Yukon before that had 277k on it, sold it to a single mom 4 yrs ago, still going strong today with 330k on it! the 2001 -2004 models had some transmission issues, but in 2005 gm put a torque management program in the ECU so the engine wouldn't make full torque till the truck was going like 15 mph, makes them a little slower off the start but doesn't tear up the trans.Just an opinion, but an educated one, LOL. Seems like most everything else is kind of a throw away car, not these.

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a little bigger than I was thinking, though I can understand the appeal, especially if I were shopping for me.

How well do those things handle in tight parking lots? One of the kids is going to be learning to drive on whichever vehicle we get. Bigger cars tend to have bigger blind spots and take a certain amount of patience in tight spaces. Something teenage boys aren't renowned for.

·
Registered
902 Posts
They actually handle alot better than you would think, handle like they are a smaller car. Another good choice would be a Toyota Highlander, or Rav 4, also the old jeep cherokee, 98-01, those things are pretty bullet proof, and reasonably priced. If you want to spend a little more, a Lexus rx 300 is a really good car too.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,782 Posts
What about a Subaru Outback or Honda CRV? They hold their value, they're safe, people keep them forever & I know the Subarus can be AWD.

My husband has a Subaru WRX but not the sporty version with that stupid looking spoiler, & he loves it. I'm planning on getting my own Outback soon.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Subaru engines have serious head gasket problems, Honda's are meh, those have tranny problems unless you can find a 5 spd, then those are ok, Seems like in the last 8-10 yrs, Honda has taken a nosedive in quality, 3 or 4 yrs ago, civic was rated the worst car you could get,I didn't agree with it, but they were pretty awful cars.

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Subaru engines have serious head gasket problems, Honda's are meh, those have tranny problems unless you can find a 5 spd, then those are ok, Seems like in the last 8-10 yrs, Honda has taken a nosedive in quality, 3 or 4 yrs ago, civic was rated the worst car you could get,I didn't agree with it, but they were pretty awful cars.
Ooo, this is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Everyone seems high on the Subarus, but they have relatively poor maintenance scores, which this explains.

I've been in Corollas my whole life (technically the first one was a Corolla Tercel, yes, both), and this last one is just nowhere near the quality of the previous ones. '81 350k miles, died to wreck, '94 250k miles, died to wreck (both wrecks to semi trucks losing breaks no less), this 2010 one feels like it'll be lucky to see 100k, and is the worst snow vehicle I've ever driven.

Anyhow, I was a mechanic 20+ years ago, and have personal issues with Dodge and Jeep from that time.
Any other makes/models with known issues?
Ford's got the, what, edge and escape.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The escapes are really popular, not too expensive, I'm just not a ford fan, I agree with you on the newer cars, alot of style, very little in the quality department, and that's across the board, seems nobody cares anymore. I will never buy a new car again, way overpriced, too many problems, mostly the geegaws they think everyone needs, overlooking things like is it gonna start and go where I need it to, lol. If one of the 20 or 30 computers takes a dump, the whole car is affected.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,782 Posts
I don't know if this will help but my cousin rolled an Escape 2 years ago & walked away from it unscathed.

Know what I miss on cars? Crank windows, windows that go down all the way in the back seat, & those little triangle windows up front on the driver & passenger side that opened. I'm sure that all got changed under the "safety" umbrella, but damn if those silly little windows weren't great at a certain time of year & in certain weather.

My Cavalier has had all kinds of electrical issues, I even had to replace the entire dashboard once& I'm still not sure it works properly. I have zero love for Chevy cars. Their trucks are fine but not fond of their cars.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Some really old cars had "Ventillation" figured out when you could crank out the driver's windshield at the bottom, plenty of fresh air but no rain, some 1930s cars had this.
when the Semi hit me going 75-80MPH I was in a 79 ThunderBird, I walked away with a small cut inside my lip.
I bought a new Jeep 4-door in 08 because of the crash test video . Besides a real frame under you they also have a very strong upper frame just under the hood and a roll bar above your head. "Steel" and "Distance" are my first considerations.
there is an on-line video of a man getting hit in his 2-door Jeep, rolled onto a Rail road track, then getting hit by a Train, he only suffered a broken arm!
There is another video of an elderly couple's Jeep rolling backwards down a Very steep hill , nobody hurt, their two dogs were also strapped in, they were unhurt.
The automatic transmission fliod all drained away from the pick-up and the transmission went into neutral, they were climbing a Very steep grade.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Ford's got the, what, edge and escape.
I bought a used 2007 escape in May 2016 with 105,000 on it....So far I really like it....Good vision, handles well...Went well in slippery conditions this past winter....The only thing that has irritated me so far is the seat doesn't lay back far enough....I like to kick back when I'm waiting for the wife to come out of the stores or a couple minutes before going into work...It's fine when driving though....My brother has a 2013 and likes his too.....When I'm looking at a used vehicle, I usually do a quick search on the internet for reviews of the year to see what to expect....The internet has helped stay away from complete lemons but you never know what your going to get for sure....ZR

·
Registered
14 Posts
Jeeps?

I drive a 2005 Wrangler, and I feel it is safe and reliable. But of course gas is an issue. Luckily I don't live but a mile from work and my kids schools.

There are more gas friendlier options. I would NOT recommend a new one though. (Sorry, not a Fiat fan)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts