Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally carved my favorite faces into 6 foam pumpkins. I used to carve 6 or 8 real ones every year, but with a wife, three kids, and working all day, it got to be stressful trying to find the time!

My issue is... I would like to convert the pumpkin lights (plug-in hobby c7 that I picked up from Hobby Lobby) to battery-operated. I really don't like running extension cords all throughout my graveyard (pumpkins are scattered throughout). It detracts from the look, but more importantly, no matter how hard I try, it's impossible to keep kids out of it (we get 1500-2000 trick or treaters every year in our neighborhood), and little feet always catch on the cords.

I've seen 10 light c7 sets that are battery operated, but one 7-10 watt bulb lights a pumpkin very well. Can I simply get one of those sets, cut off the 10 set, and splice a short length of the hobby cord and bulb holder to the battery pack? Any concerns I should be aware of, like blowing a single bulb with the battery pack? Or can anyone suggest something any better?

I've been a longtime lurker on this site, and I've learned a heckuva lot of stuff from everybody here! Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skid... Thanks for the suggestion, and I have thought about that, but I don't think they're bright enough, and with that light sitting on the bottom of the pumpkin, it adversely affects seeing the face of the pumpkin in the dark. I have the holes to mount the c7 lights high on the rear of the pumpkins. With the pumpkins on the ground, looking down at the pumpkin, you see only the lit up face, not the bright light (I'm a control freak, sorry! LOL)

·
Registered
223 Posts
You could make up your own led spot light to run off a 9 volt battery mounted in the hole you made. You can get some really bright leds that will have no problem lighting up the pumpkin. Here is a similar setup I made for my Medusa tombstone. Although they aren't spotlight mounted, you still get the idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts