Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 'plan' for this year's private community walk through is "Nightmare on Main Street". The vision is to have about 12 vignettes representing a typical city street. (e.g. Barber Shop, Butcher Shop, Church, Graveyard, Sidewalk Cafe, Dentist Office, Schoolhouse, Park/Playground, Fire Station, Gas Station, Funeral Home, Abandonded Factory, Hardware Store...) There are so darn many options to choose from I'm having a hard time deciding which ones would be the best ones!

I would love to have your opinion on which one you think is a MUST HAVE. I would also be interested in what you would incorporate as the startle for that scene.

FYI: HH is set up in one large rectangular room (25 x 75) split up into a walk through maze using 4 x 8 stage flats skinned in a variety of things. Some wood, some material, some plastic. Entire maze is free standing and nothing can be attached to the perimeter walls or the floor. No water or liquids can end up on the floor and no fog machines are allowed.

Yes, we've got some pretty tough limitations, but we've had great success the past four years and if you all will help me get my mind settled on which 12 to keep, I might actually be able to get my butt in gear, before it's.....,too late!

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! Thanks for starting the poll ! Wish I knew how to actually add one to my post so I could easily keep everyone posted on the results to date.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
I like the barber shop idea. You could go with a Sweeney Todd-like character and rig up a bleeding straight razor prop to have him slit someone's throat while the audience looks on.

My church option would probably be considered sacrilege by many, but I would say to go with a black-draped altar with skulls and candles, then add in a priest who has totally lost his mind and babbles about how we are all [email protected] to Hell. If you want to go even darker, I would suggest taking the 'body and blood' message literally, having a head placed in a tithing basket amongst some (fake) cash offerings and arcane symbols written in blood appearing on the face of the priest, with his fingertips still wet.

The sidewalk cafe could serve food infested with maggots or worms; an occasional rat taking a bite of the meal; and a stray eyeball, ear, nose, or finger popping up here and there.

The abandoned factory could utilize many steampunk elements, with wires, sawblades, gears, etc. and some disheveled dolls/stuffed animals left haphazardly.

It sounds like you are off to a good start.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Definitely the barber and butcher shops. What about a General Store? That would be a fairly easy set-up with opportunities for some truly unique merchandise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See!! I knew you all would help me get focused! Sincerely appreciate ALL the suggestions and particularly enjoy the extra efforts in shari with the details of your thoughts! Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
My vote would be the Barber shop, butcher shop, grave yard, abandoned factory, dentist office ( or just the town general practitioner, that would give a little more to work with than just teeth), sidewalk cafe sounds good lots of things to do with food and patrons keeled over after eating there.
If it were me I would stay away from the Church, I can see too many "issues" arising from that, maybe stay away from the school and playground as well since that would involve children...might not go over well but who knows)
gas station and hardware store sound good too, the kind of places you see on Main st. Lots of movies out there with creepy gas station/service station attendants, aren't they always behind the sinister acts? lol

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,065 Posts
I would pick Barber Shop, Butcher Shop, Schoolhouse, Hardware store, playground, gas station, dentist office; they all would be fun with a lot of good scare potential! How about a Walk-In Med Clinic/Hospital Emerg Room?

I would really avoid the church, it could offend too many people.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I like the idea of a hardware store because the props can be borrowed and easy to come by. Just think of all the things you can do with tools . . . saws . . . rope . . . get my drift?? We used a car creeper one year and our guy shot out from under a work table and scared the crap out of almost every guest because they were all looking at the hardware guy and not under the table. Lolol.

What a great idea for a haunt! I hope you'll post some pictures when you get it build and dressed out. Inquiring ghouls would like to see! :cool:

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
What no local office of the IRS? SCARY! TOO much so,right? A Barber Shop that has new equipment,a guillotine! One cut,and you are done! NEXT!
an Automotive Repair Shop only works on haunted hearses with a few left over bodies/spirits? Still in residence! Crushed bodies bleeding from under the cars optional.
"I knew we should have bought a big lift instead of the one built by our neighbor for $25.oo" What a downer!
A Baby-sitting business each child is sat upon by a big,mechanical butt, secured in place, No fuss no muss.
A Comic Book store full of large-sized Scary Comics that the book opens and reaches for you as they scream! As other comics say:"Pleeze take me home with you! I promise to scare away those monsters under your bed, I can do that because I'm a Scarier Monster!"

·
Registered
355 Posts
Since the theme is main street I would stick to truly iconic main street locations. I would leave out the abandoned warehouse. Think downtown Maberry. barber shop, sheriff department, city hall, diner, pharmacy, hardware store, gas station, clothing store, post office, grocery, dentist office or medical clinic, a small central park and the home of the town's founder. You might go with a general store rather than a hardware and grocery, I think the real interest here is to play off the serene small town location.

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
Yes..or the town of Woodbury. Looks normal from the outside, then there's zombie heads in fish aquariums! Awesome:D

Everybody's scene suggestions are great, can't go wrong with any of them. It might boil down to what you have
to work with on hand or easily available, and what you think you'll have the most fun putting together, scene-wise. Some vignettes would
be easier to pull off than others, like a hardware store...most people have plenty of those kinds of things around, you
only need to add the Halloween factor. I tend to err on the side of creepy/disturbing, so my scare factor, for that scene, would maybe be half of a body sticking out from under a lawn mower, an 'employee' demonstrating a blood splattered chain saw, a hangman's noose, rat traps-one with an animated flopping rat in it...
The Butcher shop would be fun to do-you could build one of these! http://www.halloweenforum.com/members/whispers-in-the-park-albums-halloween-2012-a-picture150659-img-0881-jpg-s.html
Those considerations might help in whittling down the final 12 selections. Oh, it's been said before on here, and it bears repeating: know your audience.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gosh what a great start to the morning! You all are so creative and helpful! Things are really staring to come into perspective now.

So far, I've inked:
Butcher Shop (absolutley love the people grinder idea!)
General Store (can definitely go wild in there and thanks to ya'all i have really go thr scene all set in my mind)
Pet Store (again, can literally go "wild" in there)
Barber Shop (been dying to do a guillotine and hadn't thought of using it there! Great suggestion!!!)
Police Station (awesome idea!)
Church (facade only) & Cemetery

Keep your thoughts coming! And did I mention....THANK YOU! You guys are such a big help!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts