Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Road trip coming up next week as we vacation down to the the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, and potentially through Zion's national park. And I like to listen to audiobooks for these kinds of trips.

This means an 8 hour drive followed by a couple 2 hour drives and a 4 - 6 hour back home.

Difficulty: there's an 9 year old(this Friday) in the car. Doesn't need to entertain HER, necessarily, but needs to be 'safe' for her to hear.

Last trip (up to Yellowstone) had us listening to some shorter stories and worked well. Included then was The legend of Sleepy Hollowe and The Most Dangerous Game, so bonus points for things of that nature. Mostly looking for things in the 2-3 hour range.

We've been through most of Edgar Allan Poe's works, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's on other trips.

I *MAY* still have Carmilla in audiobook form, and that's something Talia (our 9 year old) would probably actually LIKE.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,842 Posts

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,842 Posts
Hmm, hard to say. Our preteens listened to excerpts while driving without issue (but not the entirety). I guess it depends on your child's disposition and what he handles movie wise. I found a link with content analysis for the book. These would be the questionable areas. Content Analysis:

Profanity/Language: 15 religious exclamations; 60 mild obscenities; 7 religious profanities; 30 derogatory names; 40 scatalogical words; 39 anatomical terms; 1 offensive hand gesture; 67 f-word derivatives.

Violence/Gore: Several scenes where zombies eat people involving graphic description of blood, entrails and brains; multiple scenes of violence involving guns, gas, and explosives resulting in death and injury.

Sex/Nudity: It is mentioned that some zombies are nude because their clothes rotted off (non-sexual); 2 sexual references; a character mentions the use of "skin flicks"; and on two occasions rapes are reported, no details.

Mature Subject Matter: Death, humanity, cannibilism.
Alcohol / Drug Use: Characters drink and smoke on occasion.

If you are concerned for age, I would highly suggest Bradbury 13. It's a collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury that are dramatized (as opposed to simply reading the text). Some great sci-fi, light horror. Can't remember all the story plots, but he often writes with children as the main characters. I've read a lot of Ray Bradbury and I don't recall anything gory or sexually inappropriate. A few of his stories were part of my kid's middle school reading assignments. You would be safe with any of his audio books. He's such a brilliant writer. http://www.audiobooks.com/audiobook/ray-bradbury-13-short-stories/198968 and https://audiobookstore.com/authors/ray-bradbury-audiobooks/

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,007 Posts
Might want to look into Issac Asimov's short story collections too. Although they are a tiny bit dated (vintage!), they were written for the pulp magazines of the era - Weird Tales and such. LOVED them as a pre-teen and teenager and I think adults should very much enjoy them as well.
Recommended:
I, Robot
The Winds of Change

Tannith Lee, British primarily known as a children's author, she also wrote mystery/horror/fantasy. Very much loved her work since discovering her as a teen. If you can find some of her children/young adult books on audiobook, they would be really nifty (but do make sure that they are the young adult ones, as she wrote some very not for kids books too).
From her young adult series (but very entertaining):
The Dragon Hoard (1971)
Animal Castle (1972)
Princess Hynchatti & Some Other Surprises (1972) (collection of original fairy tales)
The Unicorn Trilogy (Black Unicorn, Gold Unicorn, Red Unicorn)

And while this isn't exactly the genre you were looking for, might I suggest the Sherlock Holmes series? The stories are quite lovely to read (or be read out loud) and there are SO MANY OF THEM, you'd have hours of entertainment if you enjoy mystery/thriller stuff (and all safe for a 9 year old).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts