Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first year throwing a party. I am expecting ~25 people. I was only going to do sweets but then decided we might need something to balance that out. The party starts at 7:30pm so I don't need to provide dinner. The guests are mostly mid-20s and there will be lots of drinking.

Here is what I have planned:
Sweets
Eyeball cupcakes
Icy Stares - Frosted Molasses Cookies (with eyeballs drawn on with food markers)
Monster Brains - (rice crispy treats with green coloring)
Witch’s Finger Cookies
Cut-out Cookies (Halloween shapes of course)

Other
Cheese Cubes with spider toothpicks
Chips & salsa
BeDeviled Eggs (Deviled eggs with green coloring)

I was also considering mini quiches and finger sandwiches cut with tombstone shaped cookie cutters.

Here are my questions... How much food do you think I need? Is my menu enough variety? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
155 Posts
i recommend making mini cupcakes, in my experience, nobody touches the full sized ones.

an easy savory hors d'eourve is taking some white bread, cutting shapes out with a cookie cutter and spreading with a little butter, toast in oven (crispy dry). you can make the toasts ahead of time. top with a little sour cream and caviar. i did these last year and they went over really well.

how much food you need is really hit or miss. the first year i made tons and nobody touched it. the second year i made a much smaller amount and i was constantly refilling.

I do try to make as many savory dishes as sweet. so maybe add two more savory. maybe a vegetable and dip platter and something a little heavier (deli meat platter, meatballs etc).

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Good advise Gennifyr. :)

Sweets don't seem to go over too well with drinks in my experience. Also, definately add an app that will soak up the booze people consume. I like french bread cut into small wedges and your favorite dip. Mine happens to be spinach dip. It's easy, inexpensive and seems to go over well. Your finger sandwiches fit the bill.

As far as how much to serve it really depends on the guests. I find that people don't really start hitting the food until late, like after 11. So if you think your party will be a later one I'd amp up the quantities. If there are more men than women...increase the quantities. Men seem less bashful to dig into the food. :) After 12 years of halloween parties that has been my experience anyway.

Have fun at your party!!!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I had been considering doing mini cupcakes instead. A couple of the sweets on my list, another guest is preparing so when added to what I had planned to make, the sweets list kept growing. I will definitely add one or two more savory dishes. The party will definitely be going late, well past midnight so I am sure everyone will get hungry even if they eat before they come.

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
A constant favorite of guests at my parties is a simple cocktail meatball dish that I make and serve in a crockpot. (Keeps warm that way.) A large bag of frozen Italian meatballs ( I get mine at Costco ) and several bottles of Heinz chili sauce, and a large jar of grape jelly. On Low most of the day or High for 4 or five hours, just to heat through and mix flavors. Sounds weird, I know, but it makes a delicious sweet/sour sauce, and I am asked for the recipe every year. Guests can eat those with toothpicks, too. My husband always complains 'cause there are never any left over!! ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
We usually do some type of meatball or the little cocktail weiners in BBQ sauce. Also chili seems to go well. We keep everyting in crock pots so it's easy to make, clean up, and stays warm.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A constant favorite of guests at my parties is a simple cocktail meatball dish that I make and serve in a crockpot. (Keeps warm that way.) A large bag of frozen Italian meatballs ( I get mine at Costco ) and several bottles of Heinz chili sauce, and a large jar of grape jelly. On Low most of the day or High for 4 or five hours, just to heat through and mix flavors. Sounds weird, I know, but it makes a delicious sweet/sour sauce, and I am asked for the recipe every year. Guests can eat those with toothpicks, too. My husband always complains 'cause there are never any left over!! ;)
That sounds delicious! We did most of the food shopping for the party today and picked up chili sauce and grape jelly so we can try your recipe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts