Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some ideas/input for a massive "reacher" costume

What I'd like to do this year is create a very large, hulking, "reacher" style costume. If you're not familiar with the term, they are the costumes you see with the large arm extensions, and large heads. I want to create something that is very scary, but not that terribly hard to make. I'm also not quite sure what kind of creature/monster I should try to make. Werewolves seem to have been done quite often, but if I go for something like an alien monster or some other creature, I'm not sure if I'd be able to pull it off. I have the mechanical ability to build something like this, but I lack the finer artistic skills to do very intricate painting/detail work. I had wanted to build in a voice-changer or some kind of bull-horn into the costume, so I can make loud grunting and roaring sounds. Also, I was thinking of modifying crutches and using them in the arms - that way I can use them to walk/run in the same manner that a Gorilla will use it's arms while running. Do you guys have any recommendations on something that would fit this bill?

Any ideas, comments, questions, or links to how-to's would be *GREATLY* appreciated! Thanks to everyone in advance :)

Woody

·
Registered
119 Posts
I saw a grim reaper one year that was wearing drywall stilts. His whole costume was about 7' tall. He had a black robe and glowing red eyes under one of those "invisible" black masks. It was really menacing. You could go with an oversized hood and LED eyes - less artistic talent, more engineering talent.

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
I actually thought to do something similar to the old Dark Crystal Land Striders (?) if anyone remembers the docu on it's effects. Basically your arm extention idea as well as dog leg extensions. Problem with that is having the body streagth to support the strut between your shoulders and hips... which anymore I DO NOT. LOL

I would suggest foam and latex apendages, mounted on rods down your forarms that wrap/secure with velcro straps around your forarms and wrists. That way ou can do the "reaching" and can also grip the rod for added support/leverage.

I don't think I would use crutches if your intending to "reach" a lot... that would wear me out in no time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
acustomizer, how did you move your hands? im thinking of using fishing line and elastic bands. What mechanisms did you use?

Swoody, im doing a stalkaround grim reaper. Those loads of great examples out there and it seems similar to what you want to do. Google gore gallore grim reaper.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i used PVC pipe with a notch where the didgets were and a string running through the inside down a hallow cardboard tube that my hand was in. the pvc was good with movement but only for one night. After a while it became brittle and would break. i actually had a few couplings in my pocket that i had painted the same color just incase failure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey grimmy they only worked well for the night didnt straighten all the way up and were brittle by the end of the evening. If anyone uses a similar idea id like to see how it turns out..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, great input so far guys :)

I really like the grim-reaper idea... and I just got an idea to build the upper portion by using a set of football shoulder-pads as the foundation for them. That way there's no strain on my head/neck, and should make a nice sturdy base to build from :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Im doing something similar but with pvc pipe strapped to my back so I wont have a sore neck either.

Acustomizer, my fingers are naturally curved too, i'm thinking about having elastic bands inside the fingers so that when i slacken the fishing line that im using to move the fingers, the fingers will return to the more straight but still curved state. Is this what you did??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is mine.
Used this one last year and just added some refinements today.
Ready for the kiddies now... BOO!

Parts: Night Terror Werewolf costume. Frame pack. PVC. Badding. Cloth. Eye Bolts. Duct Tape. Foam Insulation for Pipes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
HAHA Oh WOW!!!
That looks just TOO great!!
Love how your dogs just not interested one bit!!

2 days to go and still havent done the cloak,
but have finished the frame and the majority of my hands (though theyre not moveable, not enough time :(
getting my tripod today for the neck and still brainstorming about how I'm going to do the scythe...

Any last minute cloak/material fitting tips???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts